WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Current Projects in the Classical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
A Local Legend

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Week 49 Classical Art Journey

Hi and welcome to week 49!!! of classical art journey.

Each week we try to do art, classical, traditional, any medium.
Use something from this week or your own topic.
Any medium is welcome.

We have decided to extend this journey pass our week 52.
That's cool with me. I've heard from a few, Please don't forget
to let yourself be heard about what you'd like to do in the coming weeks.
I don't know how long we will go on, but let's keep at it and
get better while we are doing it.

Remember the slogan, use it or lose it.

Nickel
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:36 PM
A Local Legend

Re: Week 49 Classical Art Journey

Juan Sánchez Cotán
(1560–1627),
Still Life with Fruits and Vegetables,
ca. 1602.
Oil on canvas 69.5 x 96.5 cm.
Várez Fisa Collection, Madrid

Unlike the French phrase nature morte (literally "dead nature") or the term "still life," which is its closest equivalent in English, the Spanish term bodegón does not imply death or immobilization, but instead relates to the pantry, or bodega, where the objects pictured in these canvases were commonly kept.

And like that space, the traditional bodegón was infused with humility and a sense of the everyday, though as the genre emerged during the Counter-Reformation, these qualities were often coupled with a profoundly transcendental value.

In works by pioneers of the genre such as Juan Sánchez Cotán, humble fruits, vegetables, or baked goods are set against an inky black background, enabling sensations of spatial timelessness to intersect with the contradictory impressions of temporal brevity aroused by objects whose precise and minutely described materiality seems to transform them into dramatic reminders of the transience of beauty or the notion of perishability.

This tension distinguishes the Spanish bodegón from the sumptuous spreads of the kitchen tables of Flanders, or the expressive burlesque of the figures appearing in Italian pictures of the same time.

The Museo del Prado is presenting

“The Imitation of the Real. Spanish Still Lifes from the Naseiro Collection acquired by the Prado”
(24 October 2006 - 7 January 2007)

An exhibition of the forty Spanish still lifes from the collection of Rosendo Naseiro.

http://museoprado.mcu.es/msite_ilofingido/home1.html

This week something new

I will challenge you to a project of sorts

submit something that relates to the pantry, or bodega, where the objects in your picture are commonly kept.

Let's have fun and make art.

Yours truly, Nickel
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

something in my pantry could be very very scary great idea nickel...beautiful painting too!!!! will see what i can come up with my two days off!!!! tyree
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
north carolina

Thanks for the challenge Nickel, I'll try and come up with something related to the pantry...

I have a pencil study of Curran's Luxembourg Garden started but my time has been the top premium this week......I hope to post that in the next day or two.

Art is an important part of life.
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
A Local Legend

Hi Susan, Hi Azulparsnip

lol, I went and looked in the cubbard, must organized it first......
I try and keep things together in the pantry. Alas, I am the only one around here that does. I gave up fussing years ago. Saving my breath for
old age when I might for sure need it. Not for sure mine won't be boring, it
is mostly can goods, but cookbooks abound should add some interest.
Anyway try to have some fun with it.

Can't wait to see what you both come up with.
Thanks for taking the challenge.

Can't wait to see the pretty garden picture too!

Sincerely Nickel
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Hails from Italy

Hi everybody.. Nickel... the still life reference is great... I would like to try a study of it in pastels ... but for now I have a new entry... I 'm sorry being a bit late as it was in two weeks ago... I would have liked to compare mine with Pushingpixel's .. I think it could be a good idea to try everybody the same study.. nevertheless I also like the freedom of this "journey "! ... I'd really like to continue it ! A good idea could perhaps be to suggest a subject to study freely ... do you remember the "peacock week " (week 39) ? ..study from Degas.. "the Tub"

Well, the picture hasn't been uploaded in the position I wanted it to!

Goodbye to you all..

Mony G
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM
A Local Legend

Beautiful line work Mony! Barb will smile when she sees her.
Yes I do remember the peacocks. Love them!!!
Your suggestions are good.
Each week((or once a month))((up to you all)) somebody, the first to post could suggest the
idea for us to do that week or we could take turns, draw straws, rock paper scissors or something like that. It'd be fun. And yes, I love to be free. no bounderies to hold me, but I am trying line work now. So hard. Sincerely Nickel
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Hi everyone on the 'journey'. I've been working with egg tempera as part of the Italian Renaissance workshop. I did a portrait today, attempting the 'verdaccio' method of underpainting, but I must have gone wrong somewhere, because all my shading dissappeared under the pink flesh hue, and so I reverted to painting over it... afterwards.

I love this medium tho' and so I plan to keep practising till I improve .. mainly my brushstrokes, which are too visible and not smooth. I think this is because I am using my paint too thickly. Might be an OK effect when it comes to animal fur.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Hi Mony, I love your study of Degas. I like his pastels very much and look forward to seeing your pastel version!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Arizona: close to Mexico Border

Hails from United States

Really good drawing Mony, very well done, I've seen several copy attempts of this work and this is the best version I have seen.

I remember the peacocks too, and I've had them on my mind for a while - I just today found a great peacock photo and am going to try and paint it in egg tempera. I think it will the perfect subject for tempera because of the bright layered feather colors.

Nice work June. I really like working with the egg tempera also, the color depth is really amazing. It is hard to get the thickness just right but I'm eager to give it another try. I definitely like it better than acrylic, and it is a good quick drying alternative to oils. (Tip: many stores sell ridicuously cheap acrylic paints - I've tried mixing them with egg yolk instead of watercolors and noticed very little difference between the two)

I would vote for once a month organized activity rather than weekly (maybe bi-weekly?) since I am far too disorganized to generally be able to keep up with weekly events.

Great subject this week Nickel. I was going to skip this week but you lured me in. Here is my effort at a spanish bodegon, although highly undeserving of such a cool name. Snuck this picture in during breaks at work. I should have realized I was in trouble when I stuck a toy arrow to the apple to heighten the drama, or when I realized the only stuff I had laying around the office containing color was dry erase markers.

Have a great week everyone..happy holidays..
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM
A Local Legend

This is a beautiful compositional painting June. I can't see it good, but good enough to see it is striking! This looks like it could be your sister! Nickel
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
A Local Legend

Granby, I think we doubled post, where's the picture!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
A Local Legend

LOL Granby, that arrow works, cool job!!!!
Now your not telling me this is dry erase......you rock!
You got to go with what you got when you get the mood you know, well
at least I mean in drawing. IT looks like a painting.
Oh, glad you joined in, would miss you. And the words in Italic are not mine, and I would like to give credit to the writer but lost the source but it had to do with this museum someplace somewhere. I thought outstanding information to share with you all.
I ran all day, will head off to do art tonight. Nickel
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

some great ideas for next year are developing..glad we are going forth with it....mony...an excellent degas, very strong in line... june...interesting portrait..i love the treatment of her hair and the slight smile and mood on her face....granby..the arrow is wayyyy to funny..hard to believe this is dry erase..very clever and nicely done....tyree
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hi Granby. I like your fruit study. I'm not very practised when it comes to still life. But fruit are lovely to draw/paint. I was thinking of going on to try egg yolk mixed with water mixable oil paint. I never thought of trying egg and acrylics. Could you mix egg and dry pastels, I wonder?

I took a better picture of my tempera portrait. I might post it in the tempera forum later on, because its slow over there just now. I called this one 'Daisy ' because of the daisy in the vase. I thought I might try a few more ladies with flowers...either from real people in photos or imaginary females.

This one is loosely based on a photo I took of myself...good to practise with your own face as you are more tolerant of your beginning efforts The background is imagined but loosely based on Botticelli type of framing/composition.

I hope we continue these journeys. I only just found them!!

Who has seen works by van der Weyden? I just discovered his paintings and think they are terrific.