WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Pastel Table- anyone made one?

Hi

I am looking to build a pastel table similar to the Urania pastel desk they sell on dick blick ( for $900.) It opens with two pivoting drawers for the pastels. Has anyone ever made one? Got plans? (I'll try to get a photo.)

Thanks in advance!

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Pastel Table- anyone made one?

Li - I'd love to see plans too.

Whatca doing in Asheville? I returned from Asheville just a few weeks ago - it was beautiful, but the weather could have been better.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Li, that would be a serious project even if you could get the plans. I guess you do wood work? I doubt that plans for that would be available for that exact one but I could be wrong. My husband can make things like that but he would need plans. If you can get them let me know because I would love to have one too. He made a taboret for me that is super. It is similar to the oak taboret at blicks except it has all drawers. He actually made it for my colored pencils when I was working with them. Six shallow drawers and one large.
I would hate to try to guess how much it would cost to build one like you want.

nana b

Last edited by nana b : 11-22-2006 at 06:21 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Hi Kyle and Nana

Kyle, we moved from the Bahamas to Asheville last month. It's been quite a shock to the system but we fell in love with the artsy- fartsy community here and of course the mountains. I am wearing more clothes than I have in 3 years! lol.

Well, I found a nice sheet of oak ( for 1/3 the price of wood in the Bahamas and no customs!, )and have figured out the general measurments. I am adding a much larger drafting ( tilting) style top. Biggest problem is finding the pivoting drawer hinges that can hold wieght. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes had them. I want both of my drawers to open to the right but that may not work as I believe the doors help support the open drawers.

If you are interested, I will document as we go and give photo's and plans ( as we make them up. )

Nana- I'm a so-so carpenter but my husband is great so I'll be the designer and he'll do the hard part. How nice of your DH to build a taboret. Bet that's pretty!

Here's the original Urania design. I'm losing the easel and adding a draft table.

Thanks for responding.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker

Last edited by lisilk : 11-22-2006 at 08:44 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

I know Jess would build me one, if he had the plans. He is a great carpenter.
I would love to have one of these!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

If it's any help, those hinges are called "piano hinges." It appears to me that some of the weight may be taken by whatever the pivot mechanism is at the top of each door - but I may be seeing it wrong. Probably going to a store that has one out on the floor and taking a good look would be a wise idea.

Good luck...it looks like a huge project, but it's a wonderful workspace you'll have when it's done.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-24-2006 at 03:39 PM.