WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portland Victoria

Hails from Australia
Kitty WIP

Hi Everyone,
Well I have made a start on my next project, I will be taking photos as I go and hopefully I can get here enough to upload my progress. I hope you can be patient with me! This WIP will also be uploaded in the Animal Forum.

I have chosen a Kitty from the RL which is in fact in colour, but I really liked the play of shadows and light so I have changed it to black and white.

I will be using Faber-Castell Pitt Pastels - dark grey, black, off-white along with Generals charcoal white. To begin I print out the image in black and white on A4 - size is 16x21cm and cut it out. I then fold it in half several times, and draw some grid lines on it. I will use this as my base for my grid. I have selected a half sheet of Steel Grey Canson MiTientes, smoothside. I draw up my grid twice the size of my printout, so 32x42cm.

I prefer to use grids because I am damn fussy, lol! I can draw but it annoys the hell out of me if I can't get things right, so I rely on the trusty grids. For smaller work I trace so proportions are correct from the start. As I go along I may redraw some areas if it doesn't look right. I have used the off-white pencil to draw it up.

This is where I am at now, this was yesterdays progress. Hope to do some more soon ....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2006, 10:48 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Kitty WIP

i am really looking forward to this and reading your thoughts about the process too ... i for one really really appreciate your doing a wip !!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Holley, this is going to be great watching this WIP.....I use grids a lot too
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thank you Holley for doing this. I would love to be able to do an animal portrait but I am not good at drawing. This gridding process could be the answer to my problems. I will enjoy Watching your WIP Holley.
Mary Brigid
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France

Holley,
Your are wonderful. Thanks for giving all those details of how you make the grid. It is useful to know how great artists work and those tips help us a lot.

Charles
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Pulling up a chair and popping popcorn!

Paula
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Far North Coast NSW Aussieland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Holley, I will be joining you here as well.....

I also use the grids, mainly from my dressmaking/patternmaking experience, but I am damn fussy too, lol..... I find if the drawing is off, then so will the painting be...

I am looking forwards to your progress.....

Thanks , Netty .
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Wow Holley, my chair is pulled up alongside of Paula's -- I've brought some Ginger Beer if anyone wants any. This is magic Holley -- it's great to see how you are doing your gridding.

Val.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Holley

I'll be in this as well.. Hey Val pass me a beer... oh its ginger beer... never mind
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portland Victoria

Hails from Australia

Hi, thanks everyone for your interest in my work!!!

For larger work like this one I work from my loungeroom wall. I don't like using easels as they are bulky. My spareroom houses my paintings but all my work is done in my loungeroom either on the wall or at the computer desk. If I didn't work this way I probably wouldn't get anything done! My kids rule me!!!

At the start of all my projects I tend to struggle and doubt myself. It's only when things start coming together that I begin to feel better about it. I find I stumble my way through things and I learn as I go.

I should also say that I am very light handed with my work which is probably why Canson works for me. I only tend to apply thicker once areas are established.

To start with I have decided to do the background and work from dark to light, and from left to right. It's easier to work ontop of the background rather than add it last. I begin by colouring a layer or 2 of grey and rubbing it in, then working in some black and a little off-white. I also begin shading in some of the dark areas of the kitty's ear and head and underneath him, and have added some off-white to his ear.

This second image shows that I have worked underneath the kitty some and added some more grey to the top of his head. I have also started to introduce some black into the ear area.

If I am having trouble with an area I just move onto somewhere else and go back to it later. I like to work an area at a time, but I have never completely finished a certain area until the painting is finished because I see something new each time I work on it.

These next two images show how I have worked over and over again on the same areas. I am building things up and trying to get a likeness to the ref. I apply my pencils just like fur, stroke after stroke.

This image shows where I am at now. I have started to move on to other areas by creating the shadows with the grey. I always work from medium to dark and medium to light.

Hope to share some more progress soon ....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

to do this cat in his sideways position would be crazy for me !! ... i'd be tempted to turn him/her upright ... ... which i *know* defeats the purpose of *drawing/painting what you see* !!! ... i do know however that this is gonna be one fabulous piece and i am truly appreciating all your effort in giving us this wip ... you're a treasure !! ... and i hope i can retain all the info !!!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
to do this cat in his sideways position would be crazy for me !! ... i'd be tempted to turn him/her upright ... ...

LOL...me too!!

Paula
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Pecos, NM 87552

Hails from United States

oh I just LOVE these - to watch the painting come to life as you work the sections and textures with the pastels. This effect is even stronger since the grid is in the background - great progress.

prrrrrrr!!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Memphis,TN

Hails from United States

Hi Holley,

Thanks for sharing your process. I like the use of the grid (something I would like to try). You draw very beautifully.

Morris
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

this is going great Holley. I will be back
Mary Brigid