Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk What kind of mask do you wear?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    prettytulips

I took a break from finishing a painting I was working on because the dust was irritating my lungs and I want to finish it now that my lungs are clear…. What kind of masks do you guys wear? I have the kind doctors use that are material and loose with elastic, not the cup shaped mask. Will that work ok? I don’t want to take a risk unless I hear from a few of you to see if anyone has noticed a difference with the various masks on the market…

Thanks!

I often use one of the soft masks that dentists wear. You can get them in Walgreens, Eckerds, and maybe Walmart. It helps tremendously. My studio is in my basement with no air flow at all and I have a tendency to blow on my work. The masks stops me from doing that and I feel MUCH better after painting all day.

Paula

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
        Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
        [/SIZE]

Hi,

I use a similar one that Paula mentioned. I have another thread going about getting dust in your nose after painting with pastels.

You’d be surprised – for those of you who don’t think you’re breathing in pastel dust, just blow your nose after working for a while. Even with wearing a mask, I find a good amount of ‘color’ coming out (yuk)!

Makes me a bit anxious about how safe all this is???

-dk-

Shari

Masks, huh? Ummmm I don’t use one. I guess I’ll take my chances. I have a hepa filter going (when I remember to turn it on). I do use latex gloves, however.

Shari
            www.etsy.com/shop/shariarts

Goewyn

I’ve actually taken to using my pastels outside, lol. It doesn’t bother me there.

— Linda

My Main Gallery[/url] - Artist Blog[/url]

prettytulips

Yes, I have noticed color coming out when I blow…. dusty.

I’d use my hepa during the process but it blows and makes air circulate so I worry about that.

OK, I have the dentist kind, so I’ll try it out. It stated on the box it wasn’t good for dust, so this is why I ask…. Seems more comfy than using those bra cup shaped cones to put over your face…

Thanks!

Deborah Secor

I’ve been painting with pastels since 1986 (actually longer than that, although I began using them exclusively then) and never have worn a mask. I never had a lick of trouble and I know artists who have a lot longer history of pastelling with no problems.

I know of one pastelist who has been working in pastels and oils for over 40 years. When this person started coughing one winter the doctors did a huge, every which way to Sunday work-up testing absolutely everything. When all was said and done, they said to stop oil painting in a closed environment–no problems with pastels.

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                        Gouache Blog

prettytulips

That’s great… I ended up getting occupational asthma working at Verizon and ever since my lungs are sensitive, not to turpentine though. I paint at different times than I do pastel…I never do them at the same time. This last time though the pastel really got to me. I think it all depends on a persons lung sensitivity and mine are sensitive. I could never handly a chalky classroom either.

Bringer

Hi,

There are several protection levels on those kind of masks.
                                There are even some with activated coal. But for pastels, I guess that’s not needed.
                                In this case we’re talking about TLV / particles protection levels.
                                One has FP1S, FP2S and FP3S.
                                Then one has models with a respirator to help breathing and causing less sweat. An example of this are 3M’s 06922 FP2S (06923 is the one that is «streched») and 06933 (FP3S). All these have a respirator.
                                Other reliable brands are Norton and Moldex.
                                I think that for pastels an FP2S is enough. But only the manufacturer of the product can tell.

Kind regards,

José

P.S. In case you decide to use a paper bag with a mosquito net as a filter, don’t forget to punch some holes so that you can see.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Kitty Wallis

Mine has purple feathers :lol:
                                    Happy Halloween

Kitty Wallis
                                    Inventor of Wallis Sanded Paper for Pastel and Oil

http://kittywallis.blogspot.com/

Mine has purple feathers :lol:
                                    Happy Halloween

LOL…Hi Kitty :wave: Happy Halloween to you also…and to everyone!

Paula

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
                                    Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
                                    [/SIZE]

Don Ketchek

I use the following mask:

3M 8210 N95 Dust Mask

I would not be able to use pastels without one. Those of you who wear no mask and have had no problems should thank your lucky stars, but please don’t assume that all people are the same as you. Wearing a mask is not comfortable, especially if you wear glasses and they fog up occassionally, but you get used to it after a while.

Don

CindyW

I would not be able to use pastels without one. Those of you who wear no mask and have had no problems should thank your lucky stars, but please don’t assume that all people are the same as you. Don

So very true. Everyone’s health situation is different. Some of us have allergies, some don’t. Some of us have respiratory/breathing sensitivities, some don’t. Dak, I do thank my lucky stars but I also run an air filter and take precautions such as keeping pastels out of food areas. What works for one, doesn’t for another. It’s so important to do your own research, hear from others, then make your own decisions as to what you know will be the best working setup for you.

Cindy

Cindy
                                            Never stop learning.[/B][/COLOR]
                                            http://www.cindywentzell.com/[/URL]
                                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

vrashton

I always wear a mask. I have the kind with the filters on the side, the small paper ones don’t really do much. We all know breathing in dust of any kind can’t be good for you, why take the chance?
                                                Val

Kitty Wallis

I never wear a mask, and I’ve been pasteling almost daily for 50 years.

Kitty Wallis
                                                    Inventor of Wallis Sanded Paper for Pastel and Oil

http://kittywallis.blogspot.com/
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.