WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
Painting Storms

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've touched acrylics, and I'm coming out of an artist block but am starting to get productive again (thank goodness...).

So I've got this idea for a painting of a unicorn, portrait style with a storm in the background and to the left. I just started the painting, did some dark background and tried to lay down some layers of the storm but it's turning out not the way I'd like it to be... so I need advice on how to paint accurate thunderstorms with dark clouds and some lightening. Is it better to lay down a dark background and paint on that, bringing highlights in, etc? or start with a light background and paint the dark clouds on that?. Also what colors are best to make it look realistic, and any specifi methods you use to lay down the clouds, highlights, and lightening would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by TigerEye : 10-26-2006 at 03:40 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Painting Storms

it would help to see a photo of what you've done so far.. theres as many ways to paint clouds and storms as there artists, actually more.. I do clouds in different ways depending on the look Im going for, light and airey with a larg brush, fluffy with a sponge and dry brush or dark and tight with a fan etc etc
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Here's a photo of what I have, sorry for the slight glare. I tried to get a photo without it with no luck. Thanks!
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Heya Tiger.... Sounds like a good concept. I personally LOVE the stormy scenes, and have done a few. Personally I will start with lots of darks, building the lights in later in layers. First though you must figure out the light source and direction. Also where do you want the clouds? ....in the distance...light in front, or maybe some in the distance, and others nearer...illuminated by lightning from behind? etc. This will determine how you build the sky.

Here are examples of both....

First, distant clouds, with a layer of lightning illuminating them from the front, BUT also near ones illuminated from behind (giving some of the "silver lining effect".....

and here is another.... a whole different cloud feel. This is more of illumination in front of the cloud mass, and below (not behind).... kinda lighting the whole mass up......

The best way I have found to put in these clouds is dry-brushing with natural bristle brushes. If you are interested in the steps I took to create these two paintings (from "killing the canvas" to what you see... I did do a rather detailed step by step in both WIP threads. If you do a search for posts started by me you'll be able to pull them up. The first is Nature's Fury, and the second...Sisters.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Colorado

Looks like a good start. I think this is a case of you just needing to work it a bit longer and get over the hump with it.

I can't believe you're going to paint a unicorn on this. What's up with that?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

Ive done unicorns before, when my daughters where younger, I even did one with skulss for hooves and flames for mane and tail..

RE: the painting.. it looks good so far, my only question is the angle of the clouds
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the advice everyone . And for the tutorial suggestion and pictures, I think that will help alot!