WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 AM
California

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: 'Bugs & More Bugs' Print Swap

Diane,
Your little catepillar sounds like a wonderful model for the print swap! I'm interested to see your work.
I've decided on the mosquito. For some strange reason, I'm fascinated with the idea of it. I was going to do a reduction print, but I decided against that.
It'll definitely be a very interesting swap!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 06:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

It's amazing, Jacqui, how neat your mosquito sounds! It has so many neat angles... In fact, I think if a lot of us came up with the same bug, we'd get just that many different interpretations because we all have our own unique artist's eye...

Diane
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Burlington, Vermont

Hails from United States

You can do it Diane! I am doing a reduction as well..I just finished the drawing and transfered it to the block and am about done with the first cut. Waiting on ink to come from GC and I will get started printing. I am going to have to do 25-30 to make sure I get what I need... I think I am going to use the registration that Andrew uses. I need to make sure they all register correctly!

I am being ambitious and doing 4-5colors.

Am doing a beetle.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

DS... That's great! That many colors!...

By the way, everyone... there is a place where you can upload progress photos and info, not just the final image. That way we can enjoy what you are doing as you go... initial drawings, cuts, printings, experiments, etc.

Oh, and you might want to bookmark the project page so you don't have to go to the beginning of this thread (like I keep doing )... I should heed my own advise...

Diane
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 AM
north carolina

Well, you all are busy as bees

Ds - 5 colors - very adventurous. On using a register like Andrews, are you refering to the hole puncher set up???

I am doing grasshoppers......

Welcome, Billie, this is also the first project swap I have done.

I better start working on mine cause I know how time flies.
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Burlington, Vermont

Hails from United States

Yup, thats the registration technique I think I will be using. Either that or the traditional setup for lino using a wood board with 2 strips of wood nailed to the side and bottom like a "L".. I am still mulling it over as to which way I will get the best results...(Andrews way I think..)

It could be just 4 colors
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Saint Louis, Missouri

Hails from United States

Hello all,
I haven't posted in a while, but signed up for the swap. Since it seems everyone is doing a reduction, I think I might try my first too. I recently took a vacation in China, and am tempted to do print of a jade carving of a cicada. I think I might play with mixing up some transparent ink and see if I can get it to look something like the transparency of jade. I think I'll have to do some experimenting first and make sure I am not in way over my head.
Looking forward to seeing everyones progress.
Ivan
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
South East Colorado

Hails from United States

I don't think I will take on a reduction yet. I'm thinking of lino cut over toner transfer. The ideas are still percolating for my subject. Maybe a scarab. I'll have to look in my beetle ID book. Whatever I choose, it will likely have some additional wings.
This is also my first WC project.

I'm getting ready to assign a linocut project for my HS students so I'll start when they do.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Cutter
It's amazing, Jacqui, how neat your mosquito sounds! It has so many neat angles... In fact, I think if a lot of us came up with the same bug, we'd get just that many different interpretations because we all have our own unique artist's eye...

Diane
That's so true - if all 19 of us did mosquitos, we'd have 19 very different and original mosquito prints. ...or catepillar prints if we decided on catepillars!
My mosquito won't take up even half the area, because I've decided to perch him on a thumb...(getting ready to have his lunch!)
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 PM

Hi everyone - how exciting this all sounds! I am going to do a dragonfly! I think I'll do a drypoint, unless I get really really into it, and then I'll do an aluminim etching. Fun!!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
South East Colorado

Hails from United States

I captured, killed and mounted my model this morning. It is a Chineese cockroach like so many that are available in my town.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Aaaaarrrggghhh!! It's not required that we actually capture our subject, is it?!? I'm thinking about doing a tarantula (instead of the flea) that a friend came across in the Nevada desert. Do spiders "count" as bugs? I also have a great photo of a huge yellow-and-black garden spider.....
Barbara
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundstaffpress
I captured, killed and mounted my model this morning. It is a Chineese cockroach like so many that are available in my town.
Eeeeuuuggghhh.... I'm not picking up my bugs!!!

Tarantulas sound buggy enough for me and so interesting!

Diane
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
West Seattle

Hails from United States

Howdy All!
Sounds like everyone is busy going 'buggy'...
About a month ago, while out walking I found an intact dragonfly dead on the sidewalk. I walked around him and the more I thought about it (his wings were beautifully intact) I had to go back and get him. I found some big leaves (because I DID NOT want to touch him...eech) and brought him home, put him between some newsprint and stuck him in a stack of books.
I decided to try a method we learned about at the Baren Summit - Foilography. Charles M came up with and demonstrated his wonderful technique for specimen printing.
Well, to make a long story short, I gave it a try with the dragonfly beastie. It definitely wasn't as easy as Charles had made it look. I wasn't sure about inking up the aluminum foil plate, because it's so fragile. So, I tried several different methods. I don't think I really figured it out, either!
But, anyway, I have 20+ prints, all different. I haven't decided if this will be my entry or not. Some I really like, but others are below par. I have to wait and see what I think of them in a week or so. In the meantime, I will post pictures.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Terry... Even if you don't use it, why not upload your foliograph in the 'progress' part of the project page. I'd love to see what you got because I've had the same problem with getting things that are just a tad too thick...

I was just cleaning out the bin where I have all my smaller linocuts and found a large spider. Unfortunately I think I had hurt him before I knew he was there. He seemed to hunker down, waiting for me to go away.

Diane