WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States
The Question of Masking-

From time to time the question of Masking comes up . I have used it for many years , often with success .
I thought I would share with anyone who might like to try my Implements and /or Materials .
These are the Implements;

I have a Glass with Liquid soap and a squirt Bottle for the Brush . I clean this all out every few months and let the water evaporate when not in use . I Use a small syntheic brush for large spaces . I generally recoat these Spaces and , always remember the paper MUST be BONE dry, before you start , No exceptions to this Rule.If Not the paper will come up with the Mask.Color will leech out under the mask, Etc.

The Finer implements are : L.to R- A square toothpick, an Ice Cream stick ,Whittled ,a Bamboo Pen, 3 Different sized Twigs, Whittled , 2 incredible Nibs , one rubberized, that I like best , My Favorites , 2 Chopsticks Whittled Flat and Pointed , One Small brush ( Synthetic ).

I use and like Pebeo Best as it is more liquified ,you can add water to it as well. A Rule I follow is to take the time to close it tight and the Masktape it All Around the sides , Each time I use it , without fail. I have had a Bottle last for Months without using it.

Some artists like the Ruling Pen , I was not able to master it ,and it did not move fast enough for me . In some cases I have and have used the Bottled Blue mask with metal Point, but generally I am looking for varied lines and that is too regular and I cannot get the fine line I can get with the Sharpened Chopsticks.

Here is another Picture in which you might be able to see the Points on the implements.

I use masking to save any spot that I do not want touched by color . Now sometimes you will get a Hard edge from the mask that you need softened. In that case, I use some Matte Acetate (I frequently cut a shape out of it, Comes in Pads , like Tracing paper and can be Drawn on) or a piece of Watercolor paper and a Cotton Ball ,soaked and squeezed out tight and wipe away at the edge . Keep turning the cotton overand over so as not to Reapply the paint back into the paper and use clean ones when they are dirty. You can also wet the area with a Clean Water brush and wipe back with a clean Brush several times . The idea is Not to abrade the paper , just to remove color. I use Arches which is very tough and withstands a lot of abuse . So test your paper for rubbing , you don't want a Hole in the paper after 3 days of work !. I don't use a brush for the same reason , Abrasion. I can get a soft edge that looks natural with the cotton too .

I hope this Helps and can answer any questions that seem confusing. There are many other ways to do this. This is what has worked for me through the years . I am impatient and don't like to waste time.

One more Tip. I once did a painting that had a Huge amount of intricate detail on a 22x30 painting. I had worked on it for Hours. Not thinking clearly, as it was late at night, I put the Mask bottle on the Painting and dipped from there. The Bottle, of course tipped over, not only on the Painting, but Under it ,so it was now Glued to the board.

I got up and walked away to let it dry and so I wouldn't fool with it, just removing the bottle. Later, I used my Pick-Up. ( A Plastic Square, don't use your fingers , dirties the Paper and is very ineffective) to pull all the excess masking off. The painting was saved, but it was a frightening moment. Moral ! Don't put the Bottle on the painting, hold it in your Hand. If you are not using it, cap it every time.

Hope this has helped .

I would be Happy to fill in on anything I missed. Other Members feel free to tell about your Good Experiences and Tricks with Masking.This Question is asked, I guess, every month , from what I can tell.

Happy Painting
June

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Yorky : 09-12-2007 at 08:05 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM
A Local Legend
Plano Texas

Hails from United States
Re: The Question of Masking-

All those tools. I also use the small cheap brush, rubber nibs, to that I have added ruling pen, and crochet hook. Never thought of whittling chopsticks.

Thanks for sharing June...now if I can just get your results.....

Newbie Help Posting Guidelines User Agreement Watercolor Handbook
GIMP Article
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 12:24 PM
A Local Legend
Germany

Hails from Germany

Oh wow!!! Quite a few tools i haven't tried
Thanks for sharing this information, June.
Definitely very much appreciated

I also use a permanent masking fluid or a piece of white candle to mask out areas that stay white in the painting. The permanent masking fluid (w+n) is not as hard to get off the brush as is the rub off kind.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from England

Thanks for the info. June.
I use a ruling pen and like the fine lines I can get with it. But I also use sticks a lot and those shapers with the rubber tips.

Tricia
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi June... I just ruined a dollar store brush when masking for my pour!!! I even *soaped* it well!!! Bummer, eh...

Thanks so much for sharing this... I would just love to be able to look over your shoulder for WEEKS at a time!!!!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

Char , You have to soap it down to the tynes and then gently wipe on your Tissue Roll.
You will ruin every brush if you don't use your Soap mix thoroughtly . Make it as thick as Light cream.
Heck , I hope it wasn't a Good Brush !!
June
Did I forget to say anything.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 04:55 PM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

You say it Was soaped ???? Maybe you used it too long . Bobble it up and down many times int the tivk Dish Soap Mix. Don't Casual it . Then wipe lightly to a point .
You have to have a sense of when it needs to be washed out and resoaped . It is not something you can tell anyone , I always look at the metal part if it looks too sticky I rinse and start again . But I can usually go a long time before doing that .
Is your Mask too thick , add water to thin it out .That may be the Problem .
Only use the Brush for large areas , use the other stuff for smaller areas.
Sorry about that Char, don't use a Brush you will regret using . They do sell Junk Brushes in a Package I have used .I cut into a point with a scissors , Like Children's Brushes . Perhaps you have seen them in a Plastic sleeve about 5 of them.

June

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

It was just a cheapo brush, June... but I was shocked when I ruined it, because I thought I'd soaped it well... However, I didn't rinse and resoap during the masking process... I know better for the next time...

I also use Pebo and like it...

I pour my fluid into a container rather than using the bottle. Cough syrup for children is sold with little plastic drink cups over the bottle cap. I take a paper candy cup (yes, I make candy and have lots of those little pleated cups) and set it inside the cough syrup cup... pour my liquid into that. When I'm finished, I can throw out the little paper cup... no muss, no fuss...

AND... If I spilled it, there would only be a LITTLE amount of stuff on my paper!!!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Wallaceburg,Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Great information June! And thanks for the photos. Now I just have to figure out what a ruling pen is....I guess I could Google it!

Giving you a mentor point today!

Patty

Edit: it won't let me give you a point. Maybe I've already given you one lately. Oh well I'll try again later!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Dear June what a wonderful wonderful thread.

I have also a crochet hook. The finest one I have makes fabulous super fine lines..

I also use liquid dish wash soap it gets right in to the bristles and it is easy to re dunk it..

I wonder how Pebo would go blown through a straw for a super natural look?

I have sent a link of this thread to Doug for the Learning Demo's.

JJ

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 10:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Drat I still don't have buttons so (a) I can't edit and (b) I can't give you my mentor point..

JJ

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

Char , That may be the problem . By pouring it into a container that is sitting open, with just a small amount, it may be drying out too soon and too quickly . I use it from the Bottle . I don't know the properties of the stuff, but do know that when you open the Bottle and it is unusually thick, it has been opened too many times. it also will have a unusual smell. I almost always discard it ,before I have used the whole Bottle . I buy 5 at a time so I won't feel tempted or pressured to use some that isn't perfect . It isn't worth it to ruin a lot of drawing, because it didn't work right .
I Knew there were things I would forget .
Thanks Patty . I hate to see people struggle with it . No one ever gave me instructions on what to beware of with it ,so I have Bombed Big Time in everyway you can think of, spilling , on wet paper , hard edges where I didn't want them etc ..
So, If I can help a Little , all Well and Good .
june

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 AM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

HI JJ , Not to worry , I am just Glad to see you are Back ,and Hope you are on the Road to recovery .
You have been sorely Missed and many here have asked for and about you . You are the most helpful and generous persons here , and your kindness knows no Bounds .
xxxxxx June XXXXXXX

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Wallaceburg,Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Okay, mentor point given!

((hugs))

Patty
  #15   Report Bad Post