WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 PM

mounting canvas to board

Looking for the best way to mount canvas or linen to a hard surface such as masonite.
Dave
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 PM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: mounting canvas to board

Hello Dave and welcome to WetCanvas. There's a friendly bunch here and a wealth of information. Don't forget the awesome value of the search button, tho. Nearly anything you can imagine has been discussed here (though do feel free to ask, but you'll often get a lot *more* info by doing a search, too).

I know a lot of people use acrylic medium as their glue...see this article with some awesome information...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/532/110/

~!Carey

"...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by CareyG : 09-17-2006 at 11:47 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Hi Carey, still getting used to navigating around this site, thanks for the warm welcome. I've used wall paper paste, but the old kind, the new paste they sell dosen't seem to work as well. Actually I'm going to be mounting linen not canvas, so I don't want to use something which will harm the linen. I'll keep looking around.
DAve
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Greensboro, NC

Hails from United States

Dave,
If you search in the Artwork from Life forum sub forum Plein Air, you'll find several threads on the subject. I'm about to mount oil primed linen to board and will probably use Lineco PVA adhesive, as several sources have recommended, but, of course, there are other alternatives.

Cecelia
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast
Auburn, Massachusetts, USA

Hails from United States

Hide glue works well.

Visit my art blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 AM

Now I am not sure exactly how you are wanting to attach the canvas. I have attached paper to hardborad after treating the hardboard with a gound I applied Golden soft gel as a glue. I received my information from a technician from Golden Acrylics. She informed me that it is archaic and works great as a glue.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Simi Valley, California

Hails from United States

I use Maimeri acrylic medium for linen and canvas mounting to MDF boards. Larger boards (over 12-14 inches) may need rear support bracing to prevent bowing. For small boards, I use a 18x18 granite tile (smooth side) with additional weights on top of it. Larger pieces I place face down on smooth concrete, with weights covering the back side. Jim
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyG
Hello Dave and welcome to WetCanvas. There's a friendly bunch here and a wealth of information. Don't forget the awesome value of the search button, tho. Nearly anything you can imagine has been discussed here (though do feel free to ask, but you'll often get a lot *more* info by doing a search, too).

I know a lot of people use acrylic medium as their glue...see this article with some awesome information...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/532/110/

~!Carey

Thanks much for this link, exactly what I was looking for.
BJ
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi!

I'm a little bit confused about use of acrylic medium to adhere canvas to a board. Can anyone give some precision about a particular brand? When I searched DickBlick's store, I found gel medium, matte medium, etc etc etc... so I really don't know which one to buy!!!

Thanks!
Shadia