WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM

Young Batman Revised

Here's the skinny: I'm in the middle of a major overhaul of a lot of the pieces on my site which are old and no longer indicative of my current skill. I have made significant tweaks to an old pic, however I ended up making two versions:

One with harsh light and highlighting:

And one without:

Each have their own pros and cons and if anyone has any feedback or critique on either of them then by all means. My question is which one do you guys believe is stronger and why? I personally prefer the one with the harsh lighting, but please, any feedback will be much appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2006, 01:00 PM

Re: Young Batman Revised

Ahh, the pic links dont' work, ****e. Here they are:

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 AM

Satiated, these are good! I like the first one with the brighter light source, I dunno why. The other one is also cool though, looks more video game like.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM

Alrighty, I've started making major revisions to this piece. First order of business in making this piece everything it can be: I've decided to give bats his gauntlets, therefore making his mask the last thing he'd have to put on (which would make more dramatic sense)

They aren't finished obviously. They only have the first level of detail and the basic concept I'm shooting for. Crits, feedback, or approval more then welcome.

Last edited by SatiatedArtist : 09-06-2006 at 12:04 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 AM

Wow! That really looks like leather. (hope thats suposed to be leather) How did you get that effect? I think this is going great.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonolithic
Wow! That really looks like leather. (hope thats suposed to be leather) How did you get that effect? I think this is going great.

Hehe...its actually supposed to be spraypainted metal. I guess the highlights and indentations need a tweak. Back to work!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 PM

Another gauntlet color test. I'm thinking of ditching the engraved pattern all together and just going with the flat glossy metallic look. Finished version will have the three spikes and will look a bit more worn. Plus, I made some minor tweaks to the face that were bothering me. He'll have eyes eventually. Constructive critique more then welcome.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 PM

LOL, sorry. I thought the leather looking ones were cool though. Yeah these look metalic. It's going good!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:40 AM

Progress:

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 PM

I like how its going but the steel guantlets I don't care for.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 AM

hey! I like the way the eyes came out. They really bore right into ya.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonolithic
hey! I like the way the eyes came out. They really bore right into ya.

Thanks

here's the latest progress:

(might show up a tad dark on some screens)

Yeah, right now, it's just a simple picture of a younger Bruce Wayne. I was thinking of jazzing it up with a background and some ambient lighting coming from above and below. But anyway, crits welcome on what I have so far...thanks!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A higher state of consciousness

Hails from United States

The head is in much better proportion to the rest of the body, now, width-wise, but it is still too long.
You also still have his eyes too far apart to wear the mask...

But your efforts still show through, and this improves with every upload.
Good works never happen quickly, for the first few times. It will get easier, eventually. Hang in there!

~M
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madster
The head is in much better proportion to the rest of the body, now, width-wise, but it is still too long.
You also still have his eyes too far apart to wear the mask...

But your efforts still show through, and this improves with every upload.
Good works never happen quickly, for the first few times. It will get easier, eventually. Hang in there!

~M

Thank you very much for the critique However, do you think you can post up a picture or even diagram over my piece to show me what you mean by the head being too long? I did play around with it before, but I prefer this character having a narrow face, and the features as far as I've measured and can tell, are in proportion with the rest of the head anatomy-wise...maybe its the forehead that's making it look a tad long, I dunno. It also could be the length from the brow to the bottom of the nose that's a bit elongated... And as for the eyes being too far apart to fit the mask, well I went ahead and coweled him up...

And while taking into account the mask IS hanging at an angle above his head, the eyes line up perfectly as far as I can see, no pun intended. (?)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 AM

Took your advice and shortened the head a tad. I dunno, I'm on the fence about which one I like better... what are your thoughts?

I've also finally decided on what the background will be for this piece:

The image above will in actuality be a reflection in a head on shot of a mirror in the batcave. Think V for Vendetta in the beginning when V is getting ready to go out. below the mirror will be a work desk littered with objects he will be taking with him on his first night out, as well as unfinished gadgets and text books on metallergy, physics, engineering, and auto design etc. The light source will mainly be from above, but depending on where I go with it, I might want to throw in some ambient shades of blue and red. We'll see. But yeah, this is basically the gist of it.