WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Scavenger Hunt #7---August 21-29

I'd like to thank all of our participants and members who offered their ideas about the scavenger hunts on this thread. Please continue to use that thread as a discussion thread for future direction of the scavenger hunts and changes to the format over time.

In order for all participants to be able to share in the fun of creating the lists without having to rush their drawings, I have created a thread for members to sign up to host the hunts. You can add your name to the list on this thread if you haven't yet had an opportunity to select the list of items at least once. (Once everybody has had a turn, we can all sign up again.)

In order to maintain a hint of competition for those who thrive on it, I'll award a Gold Star to all participants who complete the list of items plus the extra challenges by the end of the hunt.

Some of you have asked for fewer items, or more time, while others expressed a need for a lot to choose from and want the pressure and excitement of a shorter time frame. I think that with much of the competition removed by allowing members to sign up to host rather than compete for the honor, we can continue to supply a long list of items in a relatively short time. Those who aim to do it all can hustle, and those who would prefer to work slower and spend more time on their drawings won't be so pressured to rush. I think it's important to maintain the intensity for the sketchaholics among us, as well as to provide variety for those who work more deliberately. We can see how this goes, and make future changes as the scavenger hunts evolve.

Here are our rules for this week:
  • All items on the list must be sketched from life--not imagination nor photo references
  • Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
  • You may place multiple objects together in a painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
  • All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Scavenger Hunt #7 will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day. Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #7 items list, provided by WC member "J" (Many thanks for our new list!):
  • something you love
  • something that reminds you of a holiday
  • a toenail
  • something that covers
  • can or jar of food
  • your lips
  • light
  • leaf
  • a medical supply
  • something yellow
  • tape
  • something that starts with a “W”
  • something folded
  • milk
  • something striped
  • sock
  • something wire or metal
  • something sweet
  • something that measures
  • a condiment
  • something wet
  • something you can dry
  • tea bag
  • part of a door
  • cereal
  • a pot

Special Challenges from JamieWG:
  • Do at least one sketch with light color(s) on a dark ground, such as white pastel on black paper
  • Do at least one monochrome sketch with a color other than black (sepia, blue, etc)
  • Do at least three blind contour sketches. For a blind contour, look only at your subject and do not glance at the paper. Draw very slowly, following the contours of the object, and without lifting the pencil/pen from the paper. This is a very good drawing exercise, and some...ummm....interesting drawings result.
Challenges can be done in combination with any list items, and count as both the item and the challenge.

Have a great time!

Last edited by JamieWG : 08-21-2006 at 04:16 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #7---August 21-28

I like the new rules! For the special challenges, would you, say, draw a teabag n a light color on a dark ground and that counts for the challenge and the teabag, or should the challenges be of items that are not on the list? In other words are we to draw 26 items plus 3 challenges or do we incorporate the challenges into our list of 26?

And for something sweet, can I do a self-portrait? Just kidding!!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Melisa, the challenges are to apply to the list items. I'll go clarify that in my post! So yes, use the items in the list to do any of the challenges, and they count for the item and the challenge. Jeanne will have to answer your other question! lol

Jamie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Thank you, thank you. I like the way we are counting the items. I also like the time limit for no other reason than we will know when the next one starts.

Great list. Trying to think what I can take to the dentist office to sketch while daughter is having a root canal. They give her gas and when they started the root canal she actually fell asleep.

Happy hunting.
Ladyariel
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

Nice list!
Nice rules!
Good challenges!
I'm in!

Meisie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Ooooh excellent!

*Location Sketchbook 2007* - MY BLOG
-GLASS DEMO
"Love art... Of all lies, it is the least untrue." - Gustave Flaubert, letter (1846)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Chattanooga TN

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jamie, for putting it all together for us - I've been sittin' on ready all weekend, and now I have the list and I have to go to work! Grrr!
(Uh-oh, am I displaying signs of a serious addiction?!)

And it looks like a challenging list, too.

I like the idea, too, of having a definite time frame, and with it being 8 days, the days of the week will rotate around, so eventually the new list'll be posted on a Sat AM. I'd have a whole weekend to get a jumpstart on the hunt.

I'm off to work, maybe something to post in the AM...

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscash

I like the idea, too, of having a definite time frame, and with it being 8 days, the days of the week will rotate around, so eventually the new list'll be posted on a Sat AM. I'd have a whole weekend to get a jumpstart on the hunt.

Hmmm...Actually, the next was to start on the same day this one ends. But I really like your idea of having it rotate around the days of the week. Maybe I should change it to have this one run until the 29th, and the next start on the 29th when this one ends? Then they would indeed rotate through the days of the week.

jamie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Chattanooga TN

Hails from United States

He-he, not exactly "my idea", more like "my misinterpretation"...
But the rotating start days would give everyone, regardless of their off days, a jumpstart every 2 months or so - I'm for it.

Now I'm off to work for real, or I'll be late!

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

#1 - Something I love (coffee )
#2 - Leaf
#3 - My Lips
All sketched blind contour. Never tried this before and OMG does it show!!! LOL! The 2nd and 3rd attempts did improve slightly though....I think!
Fun!

2b pencil, typing paper.

*Location Sketchbook 2007* - MY BLOG
-GLASS DEMO
"Love art... Of all lies, it is the least untrue." - Gustave Flaubert, letter (1846)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:10 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Nitsa, your blind contours are just fine. They always come out a little bit....ummm...different! It's how they're supposed to look. We had to do them in figure class and mine only barely resembled humans. LOL

Jamie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #7---August 21-29

Just a 5.5 x 8.5" sketch with a mechanical pencil. I need to practice my straight lines! I love the way the hunt helps me find things to sketch.

1. Something striped (a bag I knitted and felted)
2. Part of a door

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Melisa, that's a very nicely rendered sketch!

About your signature line....Only unused sketch paper is wasted!

Jamie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jamie! I know you are right about the paper. I have almost gotten over my tendencies to "save" it instead of using it.

Nitsa
-Yep, that is what the blind contours are supposed to look like. Haven't done one in a long time. It should be fun!

Had to do two more little ones tonight. These are monochromatic with a Derwent drawing pencil in Ruby Earth.

1. My lips
2. Toenail (mine are painted)

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
USA

Hails from United States

I am having an off day, you know the kind you don't like what you are drawing, the only way to get around it is to keeping working.

#1 part of a door
It was at the dentist office, I should have tried a simplier one. Way too much wood grain.

I have a 8x11 sketch book, smooth paper.
Took about 45 minutes
Pen and ink, Winsor and Newton watercolors

#2 condiment - red pepper flakes
Same sketch book
staedtler pens .5 and .25
about half an hour

#3 my lips
Pencil, same sketch book. It took about 10 minutes, while daughter was in the store. I felt really self conscience drawing my lips while using the visor mirror.

My lips don't look that good, they are really washed out. However I did get the shape okay and my frown lines. No wonder my husband always says I look like I'm frowning.