WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Anyone Used Glycerine With Watercolors?. . .

I'm basically a painter in oils. That said, I have generally always dabbled in watercolors, as a sketching medium. I recently obtained an illustration job. I elected to execute it in watercolor/gouache. While with the plein air sketching I'd done with watercolors, I'd been pleased, in this matter, where I was aiming for a more resolved painting, the instantaneous drying of it was a huge obstacle. I couldn't work wet-in-wet, as with oils. Everything sets in 40 seconds. Too soon!!

Through my own research, I'd uncovered a few ways I might be able to prolong it's drying time. Wetting down the other side of the paper was one. I bought Winsor & Newton's Blending Medium, which advertises as, "slows drying". -It didn't. Anyways, I even came across some who advised me to get what is spelled, Glycerine. (a medical thing, not designed for art) I looked for this and couldn't find anything that looked useful, until today.

At Rite Aid, this afternoon, I finally came across something that looked worth tryin', Glycerin Skin Protection. It comes in a transparent liquid. I just tried some. Well, it does seem to do what I've been told.

Anyone out there ever use this? If so, share your experiences.
-Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Re: Anyone Used Glycerine With Watercolors?. . .

Hi there

The only time I use glycerine is to add a couple of drops to Art Spectrum or Winsor and Newton paints in my palette to keep them soft..

I usually use M.Graham paints, they are made from honey and stay soft in the palette. (no wastage) Glycerine keeps the paints that do not have honey in them (the ones that harden on the palette) soft as well..

Cheers JJ

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Jose, California

Hails from United States

Glycerine is used in almost all watercolors today.
It does extend the drying time and helps the Gum Arabic to redisolve in water. Its main purpose in watercolors though is to be a plastisizer and makes the gum arabic more flexible and prevents it from turning brittle.
It is safe to use...be sure the glycerine is just glycerine..99.7% +
Even the hand made paints such as M. Graham and Old Holland.
I even use it in the paints I make...its a classic ingredient since the 19'th century.

As far as your 40 second dry time, what paper are you using and what paints.
Some paints have ox-gall or other dipersants...this will quicken the dry time as it breaks down the sizing faster and soaks into the paper.
Gum Arabic will be more effective at extending your drying time.

If you have a soft-sized paper then nothing will really help...you need a good quality watercolor paper.

I still find that Strathmore Gemini 300# paper allows one of the longest drying times for watercolor.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rcollege : 08-18-2006 at 09:34 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dear Laudesan,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know watercolors where ever made from honey!! I understood it was gum arabic.

Also interesting to find that you too have used Glycerine. Where'd you hear of it? Do you buy yours in art stores? If so, what brand? I'll get the same stuff for myself, if it's good. Easier than a pharmacy!!
Thanks,
r.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dear Laudesan,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know watercolors where ever made from honey!! I understood it was gum arabic.

Also interesting to find that you too have used Glycerine. Where'd you hear of it? Do you buy yours in art stores? If so, what brand? I'll get the same stuff for myself, if it's good. Easier than a pharmacy!!
Thanks,
r.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dear Laudesan,

Thanks,
r.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dear Laudesan,

Thanks,
r.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Wow you seem to have a problem with multiple posts Just hit the send button once. It willpost.. Wc is just a little slow sometimes..

I buy my glycerine from the chemist/pharmacy. Also have a look in your grocery store..

M.Graham make their watercolours with honey. They are delicious, don't dry ut on the palette, are made from pure pigment, well priced and a delight to use.

JJ

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Jose, California

Hails from United States

Ribera,

You are correct that nearly all artsist colors are made wit gum arabic as the main binder...glycerin is also added to nearly all, and honey is added to the mix depending on the company's recipe.
MGraham is made with Gum arabic, Glycerin and Honey is the humectant...its what keeps the paint moist for use.
www.mgraham.com
Also please feel free to call as I have had discussions with the president/ owner of the company....He is an AWESOME and VERY PERSONABLE individual!
I'm sure he'd love to chat with you!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 01:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Roger you are right about Art, he is a wonderful. wonderful man His wife Diana is also a very lovely woman..

JJ

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wokingham, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribera
I couldn't work wet-in-wet, as with oils. Everything sets in 40 seconds. Too soon!!
Hi Ribera
Yes glycerine works - BUT here is the bad news, there us no magic bullet, 40 secs or so is about normal for out doors. Faster if the air is dry or there is a breeze.

Seriously you will have to learn to do wet-in-wet faster. And / or with more planning, so you only have one area wet at once.

The trick with washes (and those are the things you want to work wet in to) is NOT to disturbe the drying of the wash but to add paint to strategic points and let them blend.

The is one reason why large watercolours tend to be done in the studio where you can control temp and humidity.

--
Roger

Last edited by RogerPf : 08-19-2006 at 10:05 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dear Rog. 2, (RPf)
Thanks for the latest. I am not unaware that watercolor is a fast drying medium. I've used it before. I've been relatively pleased with it, as such, however, of late, I've received an illustration assignment, which I opted to do in watercolor/gouache, instead of oils.
In that medium I was still endeavoring to produce a somewhat resolved rendition. There was the problem. What you put down a minute ago is now dried. Little changes could be made, unless you repaint altogether over the old!! No Thanks for me!!
This being the case, I endeavored to uncover ways of retarding the drying. I don't have the space here to explain all the means I tried, -unsuccesfully. Glycerine was recommended to me. Yesterday I finally got some, and experimented with it a bit. Today I looked at my experiments. It's too early to declare this experiment a success, but upon pressing my finger against my study, tone came off. I'll call that a pretty good sign.
More Later,
-Ribera
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Response to RCollege, (Post # 3)
Thanks for the advocacy of the use of Gum Arabic. Done, even before I'd posted on Glyserine. I didn't notice Gum Arabic retarding the drying time. Maybe it's me.
I beleive it increases the viscousness of the paint, and adds a glossiness.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Thanks,
r.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Jose, California

Hails from United States

Ribera,

You are correct, but it does retard the time...maybe not by much in comparison to other mediums, but it does retard it espescially when a good paper is used.

Again...I can't stress how important paper and the brand of paint used.

For example...M. Graham- use honey- stain aggressively

Holbein- No Ox Gall or Honey- uses dextrin- stains a lot less...easier corrections

Old Holland- Gum Arabic, glues, honey- hardly stains at all

Utrecht- only Gum arabic...hardly stains.

W/ Newton....gum arabic and dispersants...stains.

So if you use a paint/ pigment that doesn't stain then you will be able to mix after it dries upon rewetting.
I usually use enough water and strong pigments that I can get 2-3 min of mix time...I've mixed a leg for 5 min with no problems.
Heres a wip I did that may help.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318614
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Hi Roger..
Oh by the way. Nice art and nice webpage..

Yes I tried a couple of tubes of Graham and personally I cant stand them.. They are terrible.. They stain and almost none removable for sure..

I think the honey in them would be better on my toast , not on my Arches 300 paper.. I threw them out . That is how much I like them.. Didnt like WN for the same reason. Staining really bad.
They are not even close to DaVinci.. I am sticking with my DaVinci paints. They are awsome..

Johnnie

Last edited by Johnnie : 08-19-2006 at 03:11 PM.