WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 PM

PC Tablet Recommendations?

Well, school's starting up again soon (least for us kids on the modified school year schedule) and the art bug has bit me on the @$$ again. I've been wanting to invest in a decent laptop and since art is important to me, I figured I'd try to get my hand on a PC tablet, such as the WACOM Intuos. However, I have never used such a tablet and I think I'd find it quite akward with where I my hand is and having the picture show up someplace else (I'm heavy on pencil sketching). Something like the WACOM Cintiq would be awesome, but I can't shell out $2K on something like that now. Anyone have any suggestions/experiences/reccomendations with tablet PC's or similar hardware?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2006, 06:48 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Re: PC Tablet Reccomendations?

Found this in the Digital forum: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310274
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks Rose, exactly what I was looking for!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hey Dewmazz

I had never used a tablet before but decided to give it a try. I did quite a bit of research and decided on a wacom intuos3. It is way more expensive than any of the others I could have chosen maybe 4 times the price of the others around $500 NZD, but it is an awesome tool.

I don't use is all that much as I am a brush/pallet knife/airbrush man, but it comes in handy when I need to do graphics work on my pc. It takes a little getting used to, but it's a great tool. I got the 6x8 version, but think I could have gone for the smaller one as I have to move my arm allot to navigate the screen, though there is an adjustment to make it smaller.

Also my twins had an 18th party here and some drunken juvenile delinquent spilled a whole beer on my tablet and didn’t tell anyone, and I didn't notice for a few days because they shouldn't have been in my studio. By the time I got to it smelled and was all sticky. I took it apart and cleaned it up with a damp cloth and to my amazement it worked fine. I later spilled a beer on it myself and took it apart again wet and cleaned it up and it still works fine.

Just my opinion, hope this helps
Cheers
TW
Iwata HP-A HL, HPSBS E, HPBC, HPBE, HPBC2, Paasche VL's, T&C V2000, Assorted Hairy Sticks. Golden, AquaFlow, Liquitex, W&N, Matisse, Comart, ETAC, PPG, HOK, Natural pigments suspended in various mediums etc...
Nikon D700, D80, Nikkors, 50mm 1.4, 1.8, 18-135mm DX, 70-300mm VR, Epson 24 & 44 inch large format printers, Wacom Intuos3.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

I use a genius tablet, and i am quite happy with it. may not compare with wacom, but will be a fraction of the cost.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A higher state of consciousness

Hails from United States

It will boil down to how much sensitivity for your strokes you want.
Wacom's can be hair-line fine sensitive, to where you almost can breathe to make a line. Personally, I like this, and keep my Intuos and Intuos 2 both set to the lightest stroke pressure settings, and I hard wax my overlays, so that the stylus glides over them, and does not scratch or score the overlay. I've had my Intuos since late 1999, and still use the original overlay. With Photoshop or Painter or Flash, I can make a fine to broad brushstroke with hardly any pressure at all. THAT is what you pay for with a Wacom.

Get the best tablet you can afford, and get the largest tablet you can afford. It is an investment, but well worth it, because with care, they last darn near forever (7 years in Computing time is close to forever for hardware... ).

~M
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

I'll agree with that, the genius one does not seem so sturdy or have a sophicated interface. And it uses a AAA battery in the pen. I dont think that Wacom does that, from what i understand it draws power from the pads vibration,which in turn induces a voltage in the pen/stylus.
What wax do you use for your overlays ?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I am a total newbie at tablets, but needed to move into more computer graphics, due to vision problems. I fooled around for a year, managing to complete my work with a mouse... what an idiot I was.
I finally took the big step and moved into a Cintiq 21 and for the life of me- I have no idea what took me so long! I've had one day on it and found it a remarkable tool and one I'll investigate all the ins and outs of. I managed to pop out a design in 3 hrs that would normally take a day or two. ( and a whole lot less cursing!)
For less stress- go Cintiq
Marcia
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States

I used a Wacom Intuos for about 7 years and just recently upgraded to an Intuos 3, only because the old one was serial and my new computer didn't have a serial port, so I needed the USB one. I love it and use it for all my computing, not just for art applications. It has solved my carpal tunnel problem. The hand-eye coordination weirdness disappears very fast if you use if for all your computing. It even comes with a little program to teach you to get used to it.

If you order straight from Wacom, you can sometimes get a refurbished one a t a big discount. My new one is a refurb and looks and works like brand new, and did come with a warranty.

My son uses the cheaper Wacom Graphire for playing around with, and it is fine, really for anything but serious digital art. If I had to get cheap, I'd get the graphire over any of the cheap brands. It doesn't have nearly as many sensitivity levels and I think it doesn't recognize pen tilt, but then most of the other brands don't ether.

Wacom is quality and stands by their products, as well. If this one broke today (wouldn't be easy to do) I'd order another tomorrow even if it meant I had to eat grits for a month to pay for it. JMHO of course.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

I use the WACOM and have fun with it but to be honest I still just use the mouse 90% of the time, but it is great to make thin and thick lines
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Fountain, CO

Hails from United States
Re: PC Tablet Recommendations?

This is the one we got. We use the pen and not the mouse (better sensitivity). It has the same 1024 of pressure/sensitivity. I'm sure it's not as refined as the Wacom, but I just couldn't see spending that kind of money if it turned out we were horrible artists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Latest-Model-UC-...QQcmdZViewItem
All jewelry, but no beads.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 PM
NC

Hails from United States

I have a 6 x 8 Intuos2. budgetwise, thats about all you need. I would have gotten a larger one if I could have afforded it, but Ive found that the 6x8 covers the whole digital canvas nicely, and the lager one would have been nice, but unneccessary. If you can train yourself to use them naturally, youll never want to go back, but it does take a lot of time just to force yourelf into a relative comfort zone with it. Come upgrade time, Id like to get the intuos 3, but ill probably stay with the 6x8. (thats expensive enough!)
Another really cool tool is the Nulooq:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...categoryid=499
This is great for zooming, navigating the canvas area, jumping between tools, and setting brush sizes and pressure on the fly. saves alot of time when grabbing the scroll bars, going to the tools menu and whatnot.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM

I've used Wacom in the past (on a friend's computer, never owned one personally) and as great as they are, I simply didn't have the money for one. So I decided to risk eBay and get one as close as I could to Wacom as far as features go.

What I bought was a 6X8 Lapazz tablet, and even though I was worried about lack of reviews on the product and what not, I now love this tablet to death and wouldn't look back! I've been using it for about 2 to 2 1/2 years now with zero issues. It took about 5 seconds to install the drivers for it to work on both my iMac (running OSX 10.4 Tiger) and my Macbook Pro (running OSX 10.5 Leopard). As far as specs go for pressure sensitivity and what not, the one I bought for $50 (which I think is lower now) was comparable to a Wacom running around $350 at the time. The only two advantages Wacom offered with it's 6X8 tablet was the pen didn't require a battery (this one needs a single AAA, and has only been replaced twice despite daily use) and there was this circular button thing on the Wacom that could be used to simulate a mouse scroll wheel.

If you're interested but can't seem to find a Lapazz anywhere now, I discovered that apparently the Lapazz is a name owned by UC-Logic, and that UC-Logic puts out perfectly identical tablets to the one I have. I bought their 9X12 tablet also, and it works perfectly fine on both my iMac and Macbook Pro, though I have to admit that I still use the 6X8 almost exclusively. I just prefer it to reduce the sweeping arm movements required by the 9X12.

Perhaps if I did a different sort of work, I might want a different tablet. For those curious what I use it for that I love it so much, I make some extra pocket change doing photo retouches and what not, mostly for wedding photographers. But mostly, I'm producing my own comic book. Since buying this tablet and acquiring Photoshop CS4, I've switched to not only coloring in photoshop with the tablet, but also doing all my "pencil" sketches and lined, "inked" artwork with the tablet.

Sure, if money is no issue, I would buy Wacom. But if you're on a budget, Lapazz/UC-Logic has my full endorsement.