WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States
Question Mixed Media ? - Ink and Charcoal with Acrylics

Do ink and charcoal work OK with arcylics? If so, is there anything special you need to do with them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States
Re: Mixed Media ? - Ink and Charcoal with Acrylics

I think the answer will be yes they do, but it depends on also on how you use them. You could apply the ink and charcoal first and then do the acrylics over top, or mix them in to the acrylic paint, or put them on top of a dry acrylic layer. Basically, I think charcoal and acrylic are pretty much compatible. And dry ink and acrylics would probably be fine. But mixing wet ink with the acrylics might not be so good. I've mixed soft pastels with acrylics with no problem yet. And I am pretty sure I have seen people using inks with acrylics also. Sounds like a quick experiment might be in order to see if it works the way you want?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 AM
A Local Legend
Spring, Tx US

Hails from United States

I use inks & acrylics together without any problems.
ginger
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Some types of ink is water resistant or waterproof.
My Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

I would use use them for drawing lines and.or shading. I wouldn't try to mix ink with the paint.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

Hi Jeff,

I suppose the safest bet would be to use acrylic inks, then you wouldn't have a concern about compatibility with the paint. As far as the charcoal goes, if you are planning to use it for an underpainting/drawing, the problem would be smearing when you apply the acrylic over it. Since the charcoal is easily moved anyway, the acrylic would probably pick it up, dissolve it, and move it. I have used an airbrush to spray thin coats of acrylic medium over pastel drawings before, and then painted over them with no problem. I've also used a thin paint/water mix and just brushed it over the pastel. Brushing over the pastel worked fine for what I was doing, but the movement of the pastel in that case was good for my project. I actually got a nice grainy pattern in the paint that I liked real well for the painting. The grainy pattern is not something that would be easy to duplicate otherwise. Least ways, I don't think it would be.

Guess what I am leading up to is, if you were to paint over the charcoal or pastel drawing and don't want it to move, then you would need to fix it somehow first. Otherwise it would move very easily with water/paint applied. Kind of like making black watercolor actually. In fact, I did that recently, dropped a chunk of vine charcoal in some water, let it dissolve, and then used it to paint some darks into a watercolor painting. Try it you might like it! Nothing like experimenting to see what happens. Sometimes things work better than expected.

And just going with the whole here is more than you ever wanted to hear about this topic thing, this is a pic of a pastel drawing I painted over with thin acrylic paint. Hopefully you can see the spotty/grainy effect of the pastel moving some with the paint brush. Somehow I doubt this is the look you are going for though.

Last edited by tubbekans : 07-24-2006 at 10:04 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Thanks for all of the info!

I'm basically looking to make black lines and possibly some shading effects. This would be ontop of the acrylic.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

On top eh? See, that's something I haven't exactly tried. Seems like it would be simple enough to make lines though. If you get an old fashioned dip pen you can dip it your acrylic ink and draw little lines all over the place. They aren't expensive either. Just need a nib holder and a nib. I got some nibs and holders at Pearl Paint, they had a nice selection in their Falls Church, VA. store. Got to watch out for the acrylic ink drying in the nib though. Some air brush cleaner would be a good bet for cleaning the nibs afterwards although it is usually kind of stinky stuff.

Ok, well, charcoal on top the acrylic. Close as I have come to that was dipping my soft pastels in acrylic medium and then drawing / painting with them on top an acrylic painting. If you keep it wet enough with the acrylic medium it is self fixing when the medium dries. Course with soft pastels you are not limited to one color so that's nice. Just to show how the soft pastels dipped in acrylic medium work, here's a SP done that way. You can also paint the acrylic medium on to your dry acrylic painting, and then apply the soft pastel by drawing into the layer of wet medium. A slow drying medium (glazing medium) would probably be best so you have more time to work with it. Now, if you were to apply dry soft pastel or charcoal to the acrylic paitning,, I just don't know how that would work out. Have you considered using watercolor pencils for some of the shading and line work? This ia geat question for the mixed media forum too. Bet they have a bunch of people who have done this kind of thing.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbekans
They aren't expensive either.
I was lookign at a catalougue last night, and noticed that pen/ink and chorcoal are quite inexpensive. I think I'll get some of each and experiment. Thanks for your posts, tubbekans, they are very informative!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States

As for putting charcoal over acrylics, that would probably work, but you need to be careful what you put over the top of that. Acrylics, and acrylic mediums tend to pick up the charcoal and it smears and bleeds. I spray a thin coat of fixative over my charcoal underdrawings to prevent that. I don't know how fixative would work on top of acrylic. I can't imagine it would affect them much. I have seen artists use pencil over acrylics as shadow lunder feathers than varnish. Graphite is smeared just llike charcoal, so I think you could use it just like soft pencil.

Chuck

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

I have some clear acrylic in an aeresol can. I'm thinking that would work as a fixative, and of course be ok with the acrylic paint.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

I found this painting in the Pen&Ink section, by dolores. This is somewhat along this lines of what I was looking to do.

Thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hlight=acrylic