WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Pennsylvania

How to hang unframed pieces for Art Festival?

The entry form calls for unframed pieces wrapped in clear heavy plastic equipped with a secure hanging device that they can be hung. I have no idea how to go about this. Any ideas?

I'm entering the Tinicum Arts Festival, putting two pieces in the competition at the upper level of the barn and would like to put the allowed five pieces under $100 out for sale in the lower level ... but the requirements are as above. The works I'm considering are already in plastic envelopes (from clear bags) but I'm not sure how to get them to hang.

I realize this would also have fit in the framing forum, but I thought that since it related more directly to the business opportunity that here might be better.

Thanks,
Beth
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: How to hang unframed pieces for Art Festival?

All the unframed pieces should be wrapped in cellophane/acetate. Usually when I do this I lay the piece facedown on a piece of cellphane, cut out around 2-3 inches larger than the artwork, then fold over and tape. This will leave you with an area of backingboard in the middle back. You can find D-rings or other kinds of hanging devices that you can then glue or double-side tape to the back of the piece. If it's going to be hung be sure to tape the cellophane on with a good sturdy type of tape, just so it doesn't somehow unstick.

Saying that, I've never heard of a show asking for unframed work to be prepared for hanging. But as long as the piece isn't too large it should be a problem. I'd ask over in framing too.

Tina.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Wyoming

Hails from United States

Do poster mounts count as a 'frame'?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Pennsylvania

Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up deciding to enter five small abstracts on stretched canvas that I just finished instead of my flat matted work, so I put sawtooth hangers on the back.
Beth
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Beth, perhaps there is a wider latitude for this festival than others, but most shows frown on sawtooth hangers and require that paintings be wired for hanging. Just FYI for the future....

Wishing you good luck with this,
Karen

http://www.HummingbirdCreek.com

[font=Verdana]
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 AM
The High Plains of Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin12pm
The works I'm considering are already in plastic envelopes (from clear bags) but I'm not sure how to get them to hang.

Beth, Clearbags has "hang bags" that have hanging tabs built in (http://www.clearbags.com/?category|HANGBAGS2 ) or, if you're like me and already have a nice stock of the regular bags, they also sell seperate hanging tabs (http://www.clearbags.com/?category|HT ).

Mind you, I mainly use clearbags for prints or small originals (under 8x10), so your mileage may vary on how useful these would be for you.

Mitz
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Pennsylvania

The tabs are definitely something to remember to order next time, as I know there are a couple of other places locally I can submit art temporarily that have similar requirements.