WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
HarveyDunn

Boxes: Heilman, Dakota, Pod, Roz, Art Bin

Hi all,

I'be got at least one each of all the Heilman, Dakota, Pastel Pod, and Roz boxes. I won't bother with dimensions and photos, etc as these things are available elsewhere. I'll just give my overall impression.

To recap what my "storage goals" were: I was looking first for an in-studio storage system, with a bit of flexability for travel. I have a limited amount of studio space and therefore need a convenient way to pack up the pastels and store them out of the way when I am working on something else. I did NOT want loads of individual cardboard boxes. I wanted the ability to intermix all brands of pastels together, becasue I organize in this order (a) hue; (b) saturation/value; (c) brand.

*Art Bin Pastel Box: this was the only thing I found that could hold NuPastels in individual slots, which is nice if, like me, you are always trying to keep broken sticks together. However, I hate the nasty hard plastic edges - very tough on the cuticles. Won't accept soft pastels, as the slots are too narrow.

*Roz Box: The slots are nicely sized for Sennies, Schminkes, Unisons. NuPastels, Diane Townsend will not fit. Not very space efficient: each tray holds just 34 pastels.

*Patel Pods: I love the concept, but it has a huge weakness in its inefficient use of space - the box holds only about 45 pastels.

*Dakota Box. I have to describe this as "nice, but...". I bought it becasue it was on sale, and I think it is going to be fine for studio use. It is sturdy-ish, but if flying, I would not consider checking it. I do not like the fact that the dividers are not removeable, and I don't think their foam is very good - like the Roz box, it is on the scratchy side, which means dust; also, it doesn't have enough give to it to adequately cushion the sticks.

*Heilman Box. 'Cor blimey, guv, she's a beaut. Expensive, but fabulous. Very, very sturdy - if flying I would check this, after I had crossed it with two straps just to be sure. It locks open, something the Dakota Box does not do, which adds a nice feeling of security. The dividers are removeable. But the best things about it is the FOAM, which is "memory foam" - it contours to each stick, no matter what the shape. Rearrange the box, and it rearranges itself. Very soft, so less dust. And it makes a very tight sandwich around the sticks when the box is closed up so they don't move around when the box is moved (in contrast, I can hear a bit of rattling from my Dakota Box, which makes me a bit nervous...again, fine for the studio, not good for lots of travel). Downside: expensive.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
So Cal

Hails from United States
Re: Boxes: Heilman, Dakota, Pod, Roz, Art Bin

Thanks for the great review...the Heilman box sounds good for keeping pastels safe while traveling. How heavy is it when fully loaded?

Tracy

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Connecticut

Hails from United States

This is a great reveiw of the different boxes out there.

I was lucky in that when I went to purchase something, I got some great advice on this site. I was told to skip all the less expensive solutions and to go directlly to the Heilman box. When I thought about it, I realized that I would most likely end up with it in the long run, so I might as well just jump in and get it. I'm so happy that I did! I just love it!

It is heavy and expensive, but it is wonderful. I wish Art bin would make a plastic version similar to it that would be less expensive and lighter weight. I still wouldn't give up my Heilmann though...

I also have a 9x12 Guerilla Pochade and that works great for plein air or just something to bring an abreviated set of pastels with you on vacation or whatever. It's a great little addition to the Heilman.

KA
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
HarveyDunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbird
Thanks for the great review...the Heilman box sounds good for keeping pastels safe while traveling. How heavy is it when fully loaded?

Tracy
To be perfectly honest, the Heilman is probably overkill for my needs. Because of its v. sturdy construction and its really excellant foam, I'd say it is ideal for traveling. (My only caveat is that you never really know about the latches, which is why I would run a canvas strap around it before handing it over to the baggage handlers). It is 10-11 lbs fully loaded, the Dakota is probably 1lb more because it does have a bit more storage space.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 PM

Hails from Australia

After lots of consideration I've ended up buying 2 sets of those 3 shallow wooden drawers - only cost about $AU20 each. I've bought some balsa wood to further divide the sections (mine only came with 3 divisions per drawer). They're not great for travelling but I'm mainly in the studio so it suits me. It's a good way to keep like colours together and know which colours I have. For travel I have mainly been taking a selection of pastels out in the old foam lined cardboard boxes I got when I bought some pastel sets.
Kylie

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
SoCal

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyDunn
Hi all,

*Dakota Box. .....I would not consider checking it.

I would check my mother before my pastels!

I love my Heilman.

Donna
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Do you have the original Heilman box (12-1/2"x 16"), or a larger one? I comes in three sizes now. She has a new backpack size. I've been kicking tires on one...not sure what size I'd use most for my plein air and hate to get cheap and miss out if I'd be better off with a bigger one. Any advice on that???

Thanks for a helpful review.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

Is there a pastel box where I can fit to be checked in ?
I would like to travel around the world.....

Kind regards,

José
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
SoCal

Hails from United States

Jose

Deborah - I have the large, they do carry an extra large now (4 sizes available). I almost got the backpack size also but I will say I like having the space and there is not that huge a difference in size vs. how many more sticks you can take with.

Get both.

I am no help am I?

Donna
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Connecticut

Hails from United States

someone just recentlly mentioned on a thread that they bought the backpack size at a workshop. I can't remember who it was!!!!
I'm going to look around and see if I can find the post.
KA
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Connecticut

Hails from United States

I found it - Here is the thread - It was kmar who bought the heilman backpack size. You could ask her about it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hlight=heilman
KA
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 PM
HarveyDunn

Deborah, I have the large - 14.5 x 17".
Donna, still only three sizes listed on their website! Loved your comment re checked baggage.
Kylie, you are very sensible. I wanted to do something similar, but becasue of my space limitation I need to be able to pack everything up and move it to a high shelf on a closet frequently. But that is just my problem!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
SoCal

Hails from United States

New larger size!
Opens to 17" x 29"
400 sq. inches of pastel storage! 8.75Lbs.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
SoCal

Hails from United States

I hope that pic is not too wide, delete it Mods if need be.

Scroll down to the bottom of their main page and you will see the XL size. It does not have the tripod capability.

Donna

PS I just re-read all that. I LOVE MY MOTHER TOO . I just wouldn't check my pastels, oooohhhhhhh nooooooooo.

Last edited by DLJohnson : 06-29-2006 at 11:07 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2006, 11:06 PM
HarveyDunn

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.