WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Turpenoid Natural?

Has anyone used 'Turpenoid Natural'? I tried to find some Res-n-Gel today at the local art store but could not. Saw this *non-toxic* turpenoid and decided to try it. Works great-- but the fact sheet has some warnings that if you use more than 25% TN to your paint you may have adherence problems later. This was referring to oil and acrylic paint, however. Wondering if anyone has experience with this and OPs. I LOVE the way it works with the OPs but don't want the painting to fall apart down the line...

UPDATE: I did a WC search (probably should have started with that!) and found people complained about the prolonged drying time with TN. Hmmm. How about Zest-It-- does it dry any faster?

UPDATE 2!: Is it possible to buy Zest-it in the US? I tried all the usual sources and Google and came up empty...

Thanks!

Brad,
One of those crazy vegetarian animal welfare nuts.

Last edited by DrBrad : 06-10-2006 at 04:15 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States
Re: Turpenoid Natural?

i've asked around about Turpenoid Natural before and (anecdotally) most people say it's a great non-toxic brush cleaner for oil paint. Weber has a PDF with more info at their website. you might also inquire at the oil painting forum on WetCanvas.

Res*n*gel drives me nuts - it takes two or three days to dry in my experience. but others here (hopalong, maybe?) use it.

no idea about Zest-It, but Grumbacher makes an orange-smelling solvent which claims to be "More effective than turpentine as a thinner and in the preparation of mediums."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

oh yeah, the Grumbacher product is called Grumtine.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Hey thanks, seems that slow driving is the major problem.
Grumtine unfortunately smells good but is evidently still toxic.
Hoping it's possible to find Zest-it somewhere in the US or order from UK. They even have info on using Z-I with OPs posted on their site-- which was a nice surprise. Will keep looking for a supplier.

Brad,
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Well Duh, you can buy Zest-it directly from the Zest-it people. I've ordered some!

Brad,
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Brad, please let us know how the Zest-it works!

My Blog
http://straightlinesout.blogspot.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrad
Grumtine unfortunately smells good but is evidently still toxic.

well, right you are DrBrad. apparently d-limonene is a terpene like turpentine, a combustible hydrocarbon, and at the very least a possible skin irritant.

so i wonder what part of the citrus Zest-It uses? keep us posted.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2006, 09:38 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

I just received my Bob Rohm video (soft pastels). He uses Turpenoid to spread his pastel underpainting but said to avoid Turpenoid Natural because it gets gummy and "never really dries'. I would assume that applies to oil pastels also.

my virtual gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States

I tried turpenoid natural with my oilies and found that it didn't dry. I think it must have something to do with the combination of the binders in the oil pastels and the turpenoid natural. It does clean brushes nicely...but I still have a large bottle that is unused on my shelf!

I prefer mineral spirits or regular turpenoid to do my oil pastel underpaintings. Both dry quickly leaving the oil pastels pliable on the surface of the substrate. This is a big plus when using them on location.

Have been reading about the Zest-it...sounds interesting, but I doubt I'll buy any since I have a couple large cans of turpenoid in my garage! You know how those coupons make large cans so attractive??!!!
carly
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

Has anyone tried this as possible equivalent to Zest-It?

Eco-House 915 Orange Terpene Solvent http://www.dickblick.com/zz015/80/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
N.J.

Hails from United States

Hi Shirl,
Yes, I've tried the Orange thinners by Eco-House and find it does a great job of cleaning brushes and acting as a medium for my oil paints. I just dip my brush into it, then into my paints, gives great flow and dries completely in a couple of hours. If you add a little linseed oil it will slow down the drying, but I prefer it by itself. I also tried it with galkyd and found it doesn't seem to mix well with that.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hello all,
I am new to oil pastels, but here is my 5 cents. My local art store recommended 'Archival Oils Odourless solvent' which is fast drying and they claim '48x less toxic than turpentine'. It dries overnight.

This thread prompted me to look up the MSDS which says it contains 'isoparaffinic hydrocarbon, 100%' and seems to support its claims to minimal toxicity.

The website says "It is important not to use other brands of mediums with Archival Oils because they would introduce brittle layers. The flexibility of Archival Oils, when used with Archival Mediums, is such that overpainted layers can stretch to accommodate movement as the painting settles down and cures and this is why they can be used with such freedom of technique." - not sure that I fully understand this, but it may relate to Brad's initial question of brittleness with oil paint. However, it does not really help us with what would happen with oil pastel!

(Ref: www.chromaonline.com)

Cath.