WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Basic 102 Class 2 Creativity

Basic 102 Class 2 Creativity

I cannot augur the creative spirit’s labyrinth ways.
As a creator, I know that the process doesn’t work that way.
It is more unpredictable, complex, perverse, subtle, and
Intimately associated with idiosyncratic landscapes of the personal
imagination. Creation thrives on inspiration and affirmation rather than direction.
When approached through explanation, the creative spirits,
fly away, beyond our grasp.
Shaun Mcniff

Recess time to play, time to create. Let’s loosen up and free our creative spirit.

Every individual is creative, to a certain extent but some of us do not exercise that creativity so it stays in a state of insensibility. In this class we will try to awaken it with two simple assignments that will make us see objects in a different way and as a result render drawings that will continue to be realistic in the first assignment, but have a different visual impact. This will also, help those of us interested, to find a path to abstraction.

Someone said, that to be able to distort an object in the right way you have to know how to draw it perfectly. Our second assignment will let us experience the steps taken to do that.

Anna Held Audett, an extraordinary Artist, has so kindly allowed me to use her book, 100 Creative Drawing Ideas, as a guide for this class.

Assignment 1

This assignment will involve using an unconventional format which will challenge our visual assumption. Ann Coddington Rast, creator of this assignment says that “we assume our images will exist in a conventional rectilinear format- a golden mean of sorts” “Perhaps the 3:4 ratio approximates our visual field and seems somehow comfortable” She goes on to say that “this problem attempts to challenge our notions of format” as it will in the following assignment.

“Cut out a viewfinder with a 1:4 or 1:5 relationship. Spend some time regarding your world through this window, both vertical and horizontal orientation. Notice what is concealed, what is revealed. How do you feel when peering through it? Does it seem as though you are peeking through a keyhole? Are you frustrated by this visual limitation? How can the figure or portrait be interpreted through this window? Can you find a subject that seems comfortable in this format?
Try isolating a subject so that it becomes purely formal (shape) when viewed in such an extremely elongated format--where abstraction predominates over the referential subject. Consider subjects that exhibit vast spatial extremes--an interior and part of a window with a distant view, for example. Perhaps set up an image that can exist naturally within this frame. Question the eye level you select, the point of view and whether the axes should be true horizontal and true vertical.”

The images in the thumbnail show the viewfinder and what my camera sees from the viewfinder. We are not going to use photos in this class; this was just to show an example of what could be seen. The drawing was what I saw holding the viewfinder about two inches from my eye.

“When you have decide on a subject and a rationale in your approach to this format, delineate the perimeter lightly on al 18’ x 24’ (or larger) piece of paper, paying attention to where you place your image on the paper. Interpret your subject using a full range of values.”

The size of the paper will be optional. That will be your choice although I do understand that placing a drawing of a unique format on a large piece of paper can cause a very interesting visual impact.

It seems a bit tricky at the beginning but I finally sat in front of my object to peer through the viewfinder frequently to limit the space. I also found in this drawing that putting to work what was taught in Robin’s class can be of great help and can make you come up with something quite awesome if you try to look for an object that is in an interesting perspective.

Attached Images

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 05-22-2006 at 12:07 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Basic 102 Class 2 Creativity

Assignment 2

As I mentioned in the introduction of the class, you cannot distort a drawing unless you know how to draw it correctly. In this case we are going to take something realistic and distort it into several different options using the same realistic object. I am going to have to apologize for my drawings because I have never done an abstract in graphite. I need my dripping paint, wall textures and papers to express myself. Nevertheless the purpose here is for you to let yourself go and use your imagination to distort your drawing to your hearts content.

We will take another exercise from Anna Held Audette’s book and try to create from something realistic to something distorted or abstract. Fred Wessel’s approach is to ask his student to take a kitchen utensil or tool and render it and its cast shadows as accurately as possible. “It is important to include as much detail as possible because this drawing will provide the source of material for the remainder of the project”, he says. I think another option as a subject can be jewelery or so many things in a household that we don’t usually think of as an art subject.

“Put aside the tool or utensil, and use your drawing of it to create a second image, in which the original shape is distorted. Imagine it being fractured, inflated, stretched, and so on, and at the same time enlarge it so that it now intersects the edges of the paper, creating new, trapped or negative spaces.”

“Now use image no.2 as source material for the third drawing, in which you identify interesting shapes and patterns and misshape them. Insignificant shapes may become dominant, exciting shapes may be repeated, and negative areas can be filled with patterns derived from the drawing process.”

“Repeat the previous step, using drawing no.3 to make the fourth one, in which you continue moving away from reality toward abstraction.”

“Take the most exciting of the four drawings, and use it as a study for a larger drawing. You may grid it and the larger paper for accurate enlargement or just use it loosely as a point of departure. In this last drawing you should be drawing for the formal (shape) qualities only.” This last step is optional

Please try to keep things balanced and think of composition, although this is one of my weak spots and I might have not achieved this in my drawings. One of my mistakes in these drawings was not picking the right subject for them. As I started on the second drawing I realized I didn’t like the shapes except for the screw and the object didn’t have very many outstanding shapes. Think of this when you pick your object. Be sure it has a lot of detail because that is what you will use in the succeeding drawings.

Thumbnail no.1 Is the drawing of my chosen object with the cast shadows it showed at the time.

No.2 using drawing no.1 I took the most outstanding shapes of the cork screw and placed them at my pleasing drawing the threads of the screw individually and fracturing them. I do not care too much for the other shapes, those finger-like plaques. This is why I think it is important to think about the shapes you see in the object you choose.

No.3 using drawing no.2, I continued to distortion the object. In this step Fred Wessel talks about using the negative spaces and sometimes those negative spaces become dominant in your drawing. A lot of you are familiar and very good at using different pencil strokes to achieve texture. Here is where you can take advantage of that.

No.4 In this final drawing is where the complete abstraction of the drawing comes in. I just repeated the previous one but limited it to shape, textures and shading.

If any of you find it very hard to abstract the drawing, you might be able to come up with and interesting composition of the realistic features of the object.

Field Trip

I have chosen the sites of Anna Held Audette and Fred Wessel not only because of the quality of their work but because in the case of Anna we see an artist that takes advantage of these different subjects and formats to be original and creative. Fred Wessel, is the author of the exercise that will take us from realism to abstraction and he is and extraordinary realistic painter.

Field trip 1

Field trip 2

These drawing should be done with a wooden lead or mechanical pencil of your choice. The size lead is up to you and the paper you use, also. We will not use reference photos for this class. If anyone want to try this with colored pencils or another drawing medium or a special kind of paper, it is fine with me.

Let yourself go! Have fun!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 05-22-2006 at 12:08 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Mary - Wonderful class! This is going to be great fun! I love your drawing through the viewfinder. The stages of abstraction are fascinating. I can see that something with lots of detail is really needed if you are going to pick out some part of it to exaggerate and abstract. I'm off to make a viewfinder now. Do you want to see ref pics?
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Yippee! Maybe I can get away from my detail oriented nature and see out of the box for a change!

TY Mary! Off to look thru my viewfinder (tomorrow actually-bed time for me) Excellent demo's!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Anita, thank you! We won't need reference picture because we will be drawing from life. In the second assignment you will be using each drawing to draw the succeeding one.

Thank you, Judi! I think your ability with detail with help you very much in the second assignment. You will have much more to work with. Nite!

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 05-21-2006 at 11:57 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Did I say it enough?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

www.anitamurphyart.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Holy Cow, Mary--great class--I got to break my dry spell--so I am going after this class!!!--I hope....sigh.....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Wonderful, JayD!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I have decided to add a third assignment for this class in case someone wants to stick to realism and prefers it to to assignment no. 2. I just need a couple of days to do the drawings. Assignment 2 or 3 will be for the second week so in the meantime you can work on assignment 1

If any of you from the WDT want to use that image and post it here for assignment 1, you can crop the image to a 1:4 ratio that can be horizontal or vertical.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

I tend to be much to literl, have a hard time letting go. Certainly the second assignment will make me to this Interesting in any case. Thanks.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Connie my crazy drawings don't help much in the second assignment but the other one I plan to add is realism which involves a sequence of drawings where those of you that like to stick to realism can at the same time create, adding on elements from one drawing to the next.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

What an absolutely exciting and motivating class write up Mary! I am so for creativity and imagination.
I am currently so behind on many projects but I will try to attend this class in the future gf.
I feel creativity comes from the soul and if you can express your creativity it only enhances it. I also feel that it can change a negativity in your aurora if you let go and express your feelings by closing your mind to the busy shuffle around you and only listen to what your creative mind set (soul will tell you about yourself).
Oh Mary great class!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Sults, thank you for stopping by and your words are just what this class is all about.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Aha, found you at 2.30am. cardboard, knife = viewfinder now, then seek subject when it light and stopped raining I hope.
excellent interesting start.
Ta
Les