WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Connecticut

Hails from United States
First time conte cayons

This is the first time I used conte crayons. I used a statue head we have in our house as a model. What do you think? All C&C welcome.

9" x 9.5" on strathmoore 500 series charcoal paper.
Attached Images

web site - Facebook - Blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2006, 11:18 PM
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: First time conte cayons

I haven't used them myself, so couldn't comment on how you used them, but I really like what I see! Is the statue bronze? Color lends itself well to that antique feel. How do you like the conte crayons?

Stoy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Pasadena, CA

Hails from United States

Randy, I used conte crayons many years ago, but I do remember that I liked them. My recommendation is to make your marks in the direction of the surface you are drawing. Make the marks describe the form. You can also use it like charcoal and blend with stumps or tissue. Use the whites to give your form high lights, and also the paper is another value, don't be afraid to leave some areas alone. I love your subject matter, but a rather difficult surface to render with a new medium. Keep at it.
C&C always welcome
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Connecticut

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoy Jones
I haven't used them myself, so couldn't comment on how you used them, but I really like what I see! Is the statue bronze? Color lends itself well to that antique feel. How do you like the conte crayons?

Thanks Stoy. I don't know what the statue is made from. My wife bought it at someplace like Pier 1. It was a lot lighter than I thought it would be when I picked it up.

I did like working with the conte crayons, but it will take a little getting used too. I am going to try another piece tonight.

Thanks for the pointers Robin. I think I came in too heavy handed from the get go. I tried blending with them but didn't like the results, but I will give it another try. I'll try making the marks in the direction of the surface. Thanks for the advice

web site - Facebook - Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Randy, I have never used Conte before but I like the look of bronze and heaviness you gave to it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States

That's a nice piece Randy! I agree with Robin about stroking in the direction the surface is moving. Especially on the face. However, considering this is your first try with conte and your just feeling your way around them, it's a great job. I also noticed that the texture of the paper begins to show itself in spots. I think that adds some interest to the work

Good job

Chuck

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec Canada

Hails from Canada

This is very good..I would also say that you should beware coming in too heavy-handed at the beginning, but overall I think it has a nice look to it. I think you can smear conte...so you may want to experiment with that to create all kinds of looks so you might want to do that on a future project. You'd have to work from light to dark though I think (but don't quote me on that, I'm not an expert).
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Nicely drawn...but you may find you get nearer the render by smoothing and blending the Conté pencils/crayons..as it is a pastel, so blends well.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images