WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Digital Manipulation Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Eichstätt, Bavaria

Hails from Germany
3D Altar

Here's an item I've been working on during last night. It's an altar recreated in 3d from an original I found last summer in a church in Ravenna, Italy.
It will be part of a larger project I'm currently working on (like on so many others - when will I ever know what I actually want)

Source photograph:

Polygonal object created in 3ds max:

The texture was taken from the original photograph excluding the blanket which was created in photoshop from a scan of my curtains.

Greetz

Phylax

When you see a giant, first look at the position of the sun, make sure you're not looking at the shadow cast by a dwarf.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 AM
A Local Legend
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: 3D Altar

Phylax, you do excellent work in 3-D! Did you really scan your curtains?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Great alter Phylax! What is amazing here, and I had never thought about this, is that by using what you are doing here, a well skilled photo manipulator (like Terry, Graeme, Wendy and others), could build entire backgrounds with your objects. Then using DOF blurs, recreate a photo realistic illusion that whatever was dropped into the foreground layer had actually been photographed at an actual location, not, just placed over a virtual rendering of it.

The advantage, as I see it, over doing it as a 2D background composite, is that a 3D background composite can be angled to any perspective the photo manipulator wishes, also using any lighting angle, or any color or skin surface desired for those objects...

We 2D mortals however, are encumbered by the static, unchanging angles given to us by the camera that took the original photo. ...Humph...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Bob you may have found a new direction to explore
Phylax that is looking great, you must let us know what direction it actually takes you. I can see that this is an artform that dictates directions in many ways I am loving what you are showing us.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

oh my .. excellent 3D work!

.·:*¨¨*:·.. .. ..·:*¨¨*:·.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Eichstätt, Bavaria

Hails from Germany

First of all: Thanks to all of you and sorry to have kept you waiting for my reply... I've been on a bicycle trip the last few days...

@ Skinny
Yes, I did indeed scan a small piece of my curtains from which I created two patterns for use in Photoshop. I stitched together several geomatric shapes overlaid with these patterns to create mes much bigger an denser than my curtains actually are.

@Bob Rich
You're right. Working in 3D provides you with a thousand new possibilities but also with a thousand new difficulties. One should be very well paid if for instance you want to do what described as it took me about 6 hours to get this altar looking the way it is now (Although I must admit that I'm not the fastest 3d Modeler).
Talking abot DOF blurs I can tell you that almost any 3D rendering prog offers them as either a post-rendering (2d) process and as a process blending together several renderings with different degrees of blur (3d process) superior to 2D solutions.

@Windy (and thos who're interested)
It's a fine question to be asked what direction one's art goes.
Up to now I'm not doing things like these for a very long time. I completed my first digital artwork in June 2005 which was my first artwork at all (excluding those worthless tries in school.) That was when I started to professionalize my use of Photoshop and began rendering in 3D.

The impulse to begin creating came from a friend of mine who studies philosophy with me and whon was using very similar techniques although they're a little more 2D-oriented and have a different style. Concerning artistic matters he still is kind of a role model to me, as he for example has already done exhibitions and begun selling some of his pieces.

If you're interested in this kind of multi-element-art be sure to check out his website:
http://www.noumentalia.de/surreal.htm

@Favikah
Thanks a lot.

BTW: If anyone is interested in sneaking around behind the 2D canvas I'm willing to give a short introduction to 3D rendering an to provide what's necessary to get started (trial versions etc.)
Attached Images

When you see a giant, first look at the position of the sun, make sure you're not looking at the shadow cast by a dwarf.