WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wokingham, UK

Hails from England
Two major watercolour shows in London

Susan and I are just back from visiting the shows of the Royal Watercolour Society (RWS founded 1804) and the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours. (RI founded in 1831).

Royal Watercolour Society (RWS)
======================
The work shown by the RWS work was RUBBISH !!! Some of it was below what we expect a normal beginner to produce. OK to be honest there were a handful of good paintings among the 200+ on display. But I got the impression that if the good exhibitors knew the level they were being 'brought down to' they would go elsewhere. The prices were from $500 to $3,000. Very few had sold.

Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours (RI)
==============================
This was a much more professional show 400+ paintings. $4 entrance fee per person and $5 for a catalogue containing a full list of the painting with 30+ colour prints of the selected best.

This show was at a much higher standard. The top set were v good. I particularly liked the John Yardley's (which was the main reason for going to the show). If you want to see why I am so into John Yardley see this thread

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337521

Much more of these paintings had sold. Of the 6 John Yardley's on sale 5 had sold. Prices from $1,300 (1/4 sheet) to $2,000 (1/2 sheet). Many more of the works had sold. The high quality high value ones were selling well. Michael Morgan (I suppose I should know who he is) had sold the majority of his six painting the most expensive were at $5,500 eeek. His paintings were (smallish) say 15" x 15" the largest there was I guess double elephant 36" x 36".

The top people here at WC (you know who you are, mentioning no names like Nick or Arnold etc) would easily have held there own with the best on display. That cheered my greatly. Out of the next level of painters here at WC (and I don't put myself among them) they also would have stood well when compared to the body of work displayed.

I personally was very pleased to have a good stare at the Yardley's, there simplicity was very illuminating.

Here are a couple of snap shots of London with the pocket digi. Yes the body of St Paul's does have a fake painted canvas over it, to hide the in-progress renovations.

--
Roger
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Two major watercolour shows in London

Nice review, Roger - especially your comparison between the work on display and some of the excellent painters on wetcanvas.

Lovely shot of St Paul's, LOL about the canvas.

Doug

Last edited by Yorky : 04-03-2006 at 03:21 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

That was very kind of you Roger.- I dont think i am that good although.
I did get one hung in the Royal Institute of Painters in watercolour show there about 7 years ago.
It costs too much to enter these days - taking the paintings there, getting the rejects, visiting the show , collecting unsold
4 journeys to London + entry fees -a lot of money and time
Stll. I did it once
My pal who lives 4 doors from me (Des Hawkins) came with me and got 5 out of 5 in. The only one in the country to do so. (he a super painter) Full Members (who have been elected ) automatically are allowed 6 in - what ever space is left is done by judging and there are a LOT!!!!!
To get one chosen is quite an achievement.
Mine sold on the opening day. I had mixed feelings because in a way I would have liked to have kept it as a momento
Maybe again one day -and also the Royal Society of Marine Artists.
If any one goes to London, remember there is a series of these exhibitions throught the year there in the Mall Galleries- just walk through Marble Arch into the Mall and it is about 100 yards down on the right
Arnold

If you always do as you've always done
You'll always get what you always got!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Wokingham, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Lowrey
... If any one goes to London, remember there is a series of these exhibitions throught the year there in the Mall Galleries- just walk through Marble Arch into the Mall and it is about 100 yards down on the right
Arnold
I think you mean Admiralty Arch.

Yes Doug - In Italy all major monuments undergoing renovation get the scafolding covered in a life size photo! This means your tourist pics still look if not good then, well OK. St Paul's did not appear to have the real photo, just a line drawing.

--
Roger

Last edited by RogerPf : 04-03-2006 at 03:54 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
A Local Legend
Germany

Hails from Germany

Thanks for the review, Roger.
I wish we had an equivalent of such watercolour societies over here.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPf
Arnold
I think you mean Admiralty Arch.

Yes Doug - In Italy all major monuments undergoing renovation get the scafolding covered in a life size photo! This means your tourist pics still look if not good then, well OK. St Paul's did not appear to have the real photo, just a line drawing.

--
Roger
Sorry for the mistake - put it down to old age
Arnold

If you always do as you've always done
You'll always get what you always got!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours (RI)
==============================
This was a much more professional show 400+ paintings. $4 entrance fee per person and $5 for a catalogue containing a full list of the painting with 30+ colour prints of the selected best.

This doesn't surprise me at all Roger.

I know several RI artists and their work is incredible. My main mentor has been Paul Banning.I used to attend his classes before I left UK to live abroad and he stayed with me while we were living in the Middle East.It was incredible working with him daily during his visit.

http://www.wykehamgallery.co.uk/cont...rtists/?aid=64

I hope this link works!

He's a wonderful man and incredible artist.

He won the Llewellyn Alexander Gallery prize for the finest watercolour in the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour Exhibition at the Mall Galleries in 2002.

Can you imagine winning such a prize? What an enormous accolade.

I really am very lucky to have been one of his students.

He was one of the judges when I took work to be selected as an exhibiting member of Farnham Art Society recently but couldn't judge my work as he knew me. He was delighted when I was accepted tho. He was also at my first solo exhibition and is always so encouraging.

It is societies and artists like these that set such very high standards giving all artists something to aspire to.

Roger I've only just seen your Cuban Girls! They are absolutely terrific!

I must add I think there are many amazing artists in W/C who would have no problem submitting work and having it accepted.Having the confidence to do so is a different matter.

See you Friday Roger!

Jean.

Last edited by Aquarelle10 : 04-03-2006 at 06:40 PM.