WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States
Re: Tell Us About YOU!!!

Please more people join in!

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Queensland

Hails from Australia

Chris - I was sorry to read about your husband's passing. I too hope you will be able to finish some of those unfinished projects as we'd all love to see them. I absolutely adore your window-box! I love plants but, for years, I swear they used to start wilting or dying the moment I touched them. I'm happy to say that in later years I've learned NOT to love them to death and they seem to survive quite well now.

Felica - How exciting being able to plan and paint some murals for your new home! I hope you'll share some pics of them with us when you've finished. Btw, I LOVED Titanic too! You can add me to the 'sap' list ~

Todd - Congrats on being in the local paper! I really like your philosophies! Very similar to my own though I really do need to push myself more to step outside my comfort zone. Well done on the weight loss and all the very best in making your dreams come true.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--- Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog
Website
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Wow..this really is a great thread. I was hesitant to post here because my "greeting" post is still on the front page, but I see this is a little more "personal"

1) I'm a 36 year old husband, and father, born in Maryland, living in Atlanta for about 12 years now. My little girl is 6, my son 15. BTW...Willow...we are like 4 days apart... I will be 37 on Aug. 15th.

2) I have done many things in my life (like most it seems), but NEVER thought of being an artist. The bulk of my experience has been in sales. Last summer my little girl got me "doodling" and drawing with her. I had not drawn a thing for maybe 23 years...when I was a kid. After making extremely fast progress into realism in graphite (in a matter of months) I decided to try painting for people since so many had asked me...and I had not even tried to "sell" them on it. Now I'm at a quite different point...one where I hopefully can finally sell for myself....and have fun painting for a living. Now I just have to learn to PAINT lol.

3) My wife is thrilled that I have recently found the beauty in nature. I used to hike in the woods of MD and PA for days and days when I was a child, but it is only in the last few years that I have ever truly SEEN a tree. The beauty in flowers, and trees if one takes the time to closely study it all is really incredible, and eye-opening. I actually garden, and plant now.

4) I love variety!! I play guitar, I now draw, and paint, I can sing, know how to fly a remote control plane, could cook you some incredible Italian, can discuss the fine details of Particle Physics, and Supergravity with you while fixing your car....diversified interests I suppose.

5) What do I do for fun? I'd say give me family, some good friends, a nice day, the smell of the grill, and fun in the pool.

Last edited by dragonshade : 04-14-2006 at 08:52 AM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing with us Ray!
I will be over this weekend for dinner...a man who cooks! Your wife and children are blessed!

As much as I like variety too, all of mine leans towards creative endeavors...and I don't have a clue what Particle Physics even is.

I am excited to be part of your emergence into murals! I know you will be very successful. I feel it in my bones! Never forget, we are all hear to help whether it's on a thread or Private Message.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Ray,

I'm glad you joined in too! I never thought about being an artist either...funny how things happen! You are so talented ...can't wait to see that canvas. It's amazing how.. through art you learn to really see things. I have always noticed nature and loved it..but didn't see it like I do now!

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 12:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Absolutely ... nature reallly creeps up on you My introduction was my mentioning how many birds there were in my garden after moving house to a different area. My Father-in-Law said " you mean to say you never noticed them before" with a definate in his voice. Got me thinking and looking I can tell you So glad you joined in dragonshade and it's great to hear a little about you and your family.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Queensland

Hails from Australia

Yep, a man who cooks is a sure winner! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself with us, Ray. Btw, you share my eldest son's birthday!

I have to agree that, since taking up art, I definitely take more note of nature....it's beauty, the colours, the shapes, the textures.

I'm interested to hear how other's found art in their lives. Mine was quite funny when I look back over fourteen years. Until that one particular day, I never knew I even had a hidden artist inside of me just waiting to emerge. I had parked my van at my kids' school and was waiting outside their classrooms for school to finish when a couple of my friends came running up to tell me that some woman had hit my van while making an attempt to park her car. I went to investigate but it was really no biggie, though the poor woman was so stressed and apologetic about it. I told her not to worry about damages as my VW Kombi van was robust and barely marked anyways. She was so grateful that the next day she gifted me with a child's chair that had a teddy bear painted on it. I commented on how cute it was and she told me that she had painted it. She went on to say that she taught Decorative Art but had only just moved into the area from interstate and knew nobody. So, I managed to gather some of my friends together for her first class up here. From the moment I picked up the paintbrush, I was hooked! Unfortunately, my new-found teacher had to move away again only a short time later and I was devastated to lose a friend and, on top of that, we had barely covered the basics of Decorative Art and I was craving more. I then turned to books as my teachers and, over the years, I developed my skills further, teaching myself decorative art, drawing and fine art techniques. Art is now a major part of my life and I'm lovin' every minute of it.

How did you find art in your life?

Blog
Website
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:07 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

I never knew I had an artist inside of me either, though I always enjoyed crafts of all kinds. About 10 years ago I started scrapbooking and found I had a knack for it (color, layouts, and photography), so I opened a Scrapbook store about 6 years ago, had it a couple years, and then decided it took to much time away from my kids so started advertising closing sales and in walked a Lady who owned a local Tole painting store. I ended up selling her what was left and teaching scrapbook classes in her Tole Painting and Scrapbook Store. LOL. She talked me into trying a class...I didn't think I could paint...and it took off from there. That was about 4 years ago. A couple years later she closed the store...So I have been on my own ever since! I have learned so much in the last 4 years, and have enjoyed every minute!

Serena- Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I feel that I was ment to do this...because like you...it was that one person...that one situation...that lead me to art!

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

My family are all artists...Grandmother, Mother, Aunt...mostly oils on canvas.
I used to copy the drawings of the First Ladies portraits from my world book encyclopedia....loved drawing! That was in second grade. Then painting happened in 7th or 8th grade
....loved color! High School art class for 4 years, a brief Decorative (TOLE) Painting time and then I began teaching the Tole classes for 3 years.. I wish I had more perspective experience but all I need to do is draw, draw and draw and I should get it down. I painted one oil on canvas (it was an owl in a cactus) and then while eating in a restaurant in Phoenix, saw murals on the walls....I WAS EXCITED! I painted my first small piece on a kitchen soffit in 1979 and then went on to part time mural painting...very part time during the beginning years....until 1998 when I went full time.

And now I am dreaming of taking some watercolor classes....hmmmm.

Good idea to ask us, Serenity!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

That's so cool, Ray, another Leo! I'm always tickled when I meet another one!

Hmmm, when did I realize I was an Artist (still feels weird to call myself that!). I took HS art classes and my teacher corrected me a bit more than I thought was appropriate at the time, so I think I kinda turned away from art a bit... burned ego? (I'll blame the Leo in me, and the lack of encouragement as a child ) But the funny thing is, just recently as my business has been picking up, I remembered my deaf cousin "naming" me in sign language as a child... It's an "m" (for Michele), used in a drawing motion. So apparently SHE knew I was an Artist! I had all but forgotten till recently, but it warmed my heart to know someone saw it at such a young age.

I can't help but wonder what my life would have been like (I know it's not healthy... not dwelling, just wondering...) if I had gotten the encouragement I needed and had the education and experience behind me now. Maybe I'd be financially secure and well established. Maybe I'd have more confidence and wouldn't have such stagefright! Oh, well, I'm happy I'm doing it now, and it's better than having waited even longer. Really the fact that I've had to learn it all on my own makes me proud. I did the same thing in my Veterinary career, learned everything the hard way. I've never been much on formal education... I learn better by doing, I guess, as painful as it can be sometimes. It's hard to make mistakes, but that's the best way to learn--or so I keep hearing !

I'm soooo grateful for this forum. The support I've received here is invaluable, and I've never felt so welcomed and encouraged. To a large degree, I think it's because of you all that I'm doing what I'm doing. It's funny, as I'm painting now, I find myself thinking, "can't wait to post this and see what they think!" So you're all helping me to continue... Thank you all so much...

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast
Riverside, CA

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, I have been trying to get back here to post an introduction, instead of just lurking in the shadows. I have really enjoyed reading everyones posts and seeing your work. I am so sorry about sboutette and the cancer diagnosis, so many of my friends and family seem to be getting that same diagnosis and thankfully winning the battle! Congrats to Todd, that is very exciting. Shelly, your work is incredible and change, although hard, is often just what we need to shake things up. Becky your work is really impressive too, I look forward to meeting everyone in the group. Sorry if I missed you! OK 5 things about me.

1. I am 49 and the mother of 4 children, 3 girls and 1 boy, 3 grandchildren. I am married to a wonderful man, whom I still adore after 26 years of marriage! He married me with 3 small children under five and so he never was concidered their step parent! They are now 32, 31, 30 and 25.

2. Our lives have markers, we often use them when describing ourselves and it helps us mark seasons of time. Like "after we had kids" or "before I was married". Five years ago we had just about arrived at a place we had worked so hard to get too. Our three oldest kids were out on their own, our youngest was a full time college student. I was working a few days a week as an office manager and the rest of the time I traveled doing my artwork and murals, faux finishing. We were close to being empty nesters, doing our dream jobs and we were finally going to travel! On July 9,2000, as my third daughter was making her way home from celebrating my grandsons 6th birthday, she was hit by a drunk driver. Our lives would forever be marked, from now on everything was referred to as either before the crash or after the crash. I never could of imagined then how forever changed all of our lives would be from that point forward. We spent the next eight months at her bedside. She was in a coma for 4 1/2 months and on life support, they told us she would not survive originally but later told us she would probably be vegetative for the rest of her life. That if she did wake up she would not have any memories of us or her life. We prayed, and prayed until we couldn't pray anymore. To make a very long story short, she did wake up, and because of God's grace she had her memories and knew us. But the cost was high, she lost her leg, her vision, the use of her right side, her voice etc. She was totally dependant on others to provide all her basic needs. I was unable to work after that, they told us to put her in an institution but there was no way, I quit my job to stay home with her. Those years were so hard, they still can be, but I know that because God gave me the gift of art it helped me to survive. It allowed me an avenue to express feelings, to still feel like I had some sort of identity,it was the best therapy. The designer that I worked with had me start painting the murals on masonite and shipping them so I could continue to work. Although not the best, it worked and helped me to still feel like I could contribute to the household. The reason I share this is because I am now at a place where I think I could start to work locally again. I haven't painted more than a handful of things on site since the crash. I have painted hundreds of murals on masonite though. I look forward to getting that going again if it works out. These online outlets and resources are a life saver, truely. Its a way to stay connected to artists when life is trying to isolate me! OK enough of that!

3. I love to work outside in my yard. I feel a special connection spiritually when I am in the yard admiring the miracles that surround me. My yard is usually full of flowers that I can cut and bring inside and paint!

4. I learned to quilt(another outlet) and now design patterns, which I sell at quilt shops and art quilts which I sell and show. It has been a wonderful experience. Along with journaling and sketching I would bring along quilting to therapy and the hospital visits to pass the time and help calm the nerves. I am not a good reader! Creative people are doers. I probably have a touch of ADD since I need to have my fingers into everything and multiple projects going at one time.

5. Finally, (I am sure I have talked way too much). I have been doing murals and faux finishes for along time. I started in private homes and doctors offices and then worked painting murals in model homes. I also do watercolors. I love being open to where ever art may take me and I want to learn more and strive to be better. I have learned a lot about myself through it all, that God is God no matter where I am in my faith, that I am stronger and weaker than I thought I was, I trust my inner voice more now than ever before, if given an opportunity I want to make sure I grab it since we arent guarranteed tommorrow, for now its the three of us and we love everyday together.

Thanks for listening! Desiree
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Desiree- I am so glad you have joined our forum! Very nice to have you here! I am so sorry to hear about your daughter...you are a very strong person! I would love to see some of those masonite murals...if you have any pictures of them. My Mom quilts and belongs to 2 quilt guilds...she enjoys it so much. Becky told me that one of her first murals was of a quilt! I don't enjoy sewing...it's too boring for me... but I enjoy going with my Mom to the quilting stores and picking out fabric....love all those cute fabrics!

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Riverside, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks Deb, I appreciate it, I thought I would post one of my newest art quilts, it just won one of the catagories at a big show back east, I was so excited. I haven't been quilting that long. I hand paint the fabrics and use dyes for the faces which are applied with an applicator.

I will post some murals soon. I did a quicky temporary website but I never used it since I pretty much stuck with this one designer who provided me more work than I could do. I haven't had a need to advertise or sell myself for awhile. You are free to take a look but I have a limited amount of murals up on the site and I haven't updated in quite awhile. It also has some other things I have designed and marketed. I am working on getting a real website going, I do already have my domain name set up. Here is the link to the yahoo site: www.geocities.com/imararefind

Desiree
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Desiree
That quilt is just AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL!
The link to your website didn't seem to work for me... looking forward to seeing your mural work.
Welcome to WetCanvas!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Wow, Desiree, that is the most amazing quilt I've ever seen... I always think of quilts as geometrics (which to be honest I'm not a huge fan of normally though I appreciate the colors used)... this is just gorgeous!!

Welcome to the forum, thanks for your share-- and no, you didn't say too much, imho. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, what a life changing experience for your whole family, and how strong you became from it, as Deb said. I admire you so much for doing what you did for her.

I'm glad you're getting back to your art, it's so therapeutic. I'm anxious to see more of your work!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals