WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States
Cool assignments

Hi guys!
I thought this would be a cool place to share the wacky stuff our teachers are having us do in our classes. I'm at Western Michigan, and I'm in two classes right now. I get to see a lot of artwork, but it would be fun to see what they are doing at other schools as well. So here's mine

Right now in my object drawing class, we are working on a huge project. We were assigned an artist, and we have to create drawings in their specific style. My artist is Mary Cassatt, of whom I am a huge fan. I'm supposed to focus on her japanese prints. Here is the first one i'm working on (there are going to be two or three, since i'm supposed to have a cumulative 40 hours or so)

In my other class we're working on a pair of paintings that highlight the bezold effect (where you switch a color in your painting to a totally different color.) I just started on the first one today, so it's pretty rough, and isn't finished. In the second painting I'm going to switch out the red orange for a cerulean blue.
Attached Images

Last edited by amaranth : 03-28-2006 at 01:11 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Cool assignments

This is cool!! Good thread topic!! I love that we'll get a chance to see everyone's work, since normally, we are all about the serious business here

It'll be really interesting to see what other students are up to, and what kind of crazy stuff we get to do. Sometimes it feels so silly, its nice to know we're not alone doing the crazy things

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Ok here are 2.

The first one is from my drawing studio class. The entire class were partnered up and we were assigned a body part to be made out of masking tape and paper. Then we assembled the figure and hung it from the ceiling. After i was completed, we spent a number of classes doing drawings of the paper figure. This was one of the drawings, done with a stick dipped in ink and some ink washes. If I remember correctly, the colour of the tape was some watercolour.

And this one here was for a "fine arts" studio (we did some sculpture, painting, and printmaking). We were instructed to take an image of a self portrait of an artist we admired, tear it up and collage it, and then do an acrylic painting using it as refference.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States

Those are really cool! love them!
I finished the bezold effect in my Form and Surface class- we critiqued them in class and luckily the didn't notice anything blaringly wrong about mine. My teacher intimidates me to no end. I actually had to write her a note about how upset I was over my grades on a color theory project- I got the worst grades ever- and ask her how her grading process works so that I know what is required. I'm tired of feeling anxious while i'm painting.

My next project is a consant value change. I don't have it with me to scan, but I'll explain it. I had to come up with a pattern, then draw an image over it. then, wherever the image overlaps the pattern, i paint it three shades darker so that it looks like a shadow. It's a lot of fun, when you aren't obsessing over what kind of grade you're going to get on it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

That sounds like a pretty neat project Its always interesting to see just how many different varieties of assignmnts teachers can come up with! Love hearing about them.

I hear you, that it is a lot of fun doing the work. Stressing over marks really can put a damper on great work though, and I think if you're upset and stressing, it really does reflect through on the work. It use to always bug me, doing figure drawingin the class, the proff walking around and peaking over shoulders with a critical eye. I think my drawings always came out worse simply because you knew they were watching, and trying to keep an overly critical eye on your work so you can make it right - takes out the fun, spontaneousness and excitement out of the work when you're clammed up. Iknow im not the only person who felt this way either in class. But its soemthing one has tolearn to deal with, though, i suppose. Having this pressure here in school really works well when you're finding yourself working towards a show deadline, or doing professional illustrations and commissions. You're already use to it!