WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Pinedale, Wyoming

a quick, cheap sculpture lesson

Here's a little sculpture project I like to use - did this today with kindergarten, first and third grade.
It's an inexpensive way to introduce three dimentional art - I link it to a standard on cooperative learning, or some years to one on terms common to the arts and other disciplines.
We look at some modern sculptor's work, talk about abstration and 3d vs 2d. (art that you can walk around.... art that is fun to look at but doesn't look like anything else...)
Then I show some construction tips, shapes that are stronger than others, harp on glue skills, etc, then let them rip.
It's wildly popular - the kids LOVE it, and it uses up all my construction paper scraps from framing pictures for the art show.
These examples are from first grade, 35 minutes. Sometimes we go two days on this, and use whatever fun things I can find like pom poms, feathers and wiggly eyes. This is the cheap and dirty one day version.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: a quick, cheap sculpture lesson

They look great Cristy ... so imaginative. I'm sure this will give some other teachers ideas. Thanks so much for sharing them
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Virginia

Hails from United States

I love it! Thanks for sharing. I have been helping an arts center that does after school/summer daycare come up with art lessons, and this one will definately come in handy!! thanks again

http://www.valeriedowdy.blogspot.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
40°9′46″N

Hails from United States

Fantastic!

I love your idea. The examples remind me of illustrations in a Dr. Seuss book. That would be a good language arts curriculum connection for this age group.

Quote:
"Logic! What do they teach children in schools these days?"
-- C. S. Lewis, in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Isle of Axholme

Hails from England

Hey - this looks a grand idea Christy, and one that I will take back to our kids art group when I get back off holiday. A really neat, simple and inexpensive idea - but then again, aren't all the best ideas so????
Regards,
Pabs

Let's be careful - it's dusty out there!!!!