WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast
Lindsay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
barn painting critique from local gallery

Well folks, I went to the critique evening at our gallery last night to find out why my painting wasnt accepted. All I have to say is COMPOSITION, COMPOSITON, COMPOSITION.....I think I was so close to this barn (my fave) and I wanted to render it exactly as it is (which i did) that I forgot about the basics of composition. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328708

It was all because of the dark doorway in the bottom MIDDLE...why didnt I see that?? the juror said that if I had simply moved the door to the left or the right or cropped off one side of the painting, it would have solved the problem that he had with it. He said that adding something to the empty doorway would not have been enough...it was it's position.

He also said he would have liked to see more variation in the stone size - I agree, that was my personal nit. He also said it appear flat - which I disagree with ...that's why you can see the stuff in the barn....

On the good side, he said it was a lovely painting, well executed with GREAT SKILL, excellent texture on the barnboard. So, i will take away those good points with me.

It was a fantastic learning experience to have someone of his talent and caliber to critique my work - it was fantastic to hear him explain the why's of all the winning paintings/sculptures too!!! dont pass up a chance to get involved with this sort of evening...

Oh, and one more note from the juror - which we all know, but sometimes need to be reminded of - just because a peice doesnt get chosen, doesnt mean it's no good....if you have made someone smile, pause etc..then you have succeeded in your painting. Being chosen for a show means that not only did you succeed in this part, but you also were TECHNICALLY sound. good point to remember!! So, yes, i am still happy with my painting - except yes, my black hold in the middle, which i cant believe i didtn pick out!!

Thanks everyone for your input and kudos into my painting! Onward and upward from here
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: barn painting critique from local gallery

Thank you for sharing this interesting experience - it is nice to know a little about the inner workings of a selection process. I know what you mean about not seeing the dark door - that is one of the reasons why I post my work - we can get too close to our work and the perspective of the other members really helps

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
E W Wilcox
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Kim, I'm glad you've come thru this so positive.
It is always good to get feedback .. that's what
keeps us working to improve our artwork... I
STILL loooove the stonework... and I think it
looks fine ... Can you show us (me) a closeup
of just the stonework? I like doing stones too,
and getting the shading/shaping is not easy.

JustJo

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:37 AM
A Local Legend
Plano Texas

Hails from United States

Kim Thank you so much for sharing the process and the write up with us. It is appreciated when one shares a learning experience.

Newbie Help Posting Guidelines User Agreement Watercolor Handbook
GIMP Article
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Lindsay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

At first I thought I would be really upset hearing him 'tear apart' my paitning - cuz he literally bit right into it at first. But it really was a great experience...
Jo...here is a close up of the foundation... I have to say, i wasnt entirely happy with my stones, though the juror liked the execution (except the uniform size) of them. I usually start by laying in a VERY light wash of burnt umber or sepia for the 'grout', allow to dry, then softly lay in dif rocks using BS, Sepia, BU, RS, PG and while they are wet, will drop different colours into each and let them move around to create texture. Once dry, i go back and dry stipple some sepia/PG and add some shadows....
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Kim... good instructions... I'll
keep this post in my information file

JustJo

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks for sharing the critique Kim... I loved your painting and never noticed the position of the door...did he mean that the barn needed more depth, when he said it is flat???would you do this by adding more dark to the inside of the barn??
Just to have enough confidence in your work to submit it is wonderful...bravo!!
you will get in next time for sure....
Bonnie R

Canadian
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast
Lindsay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

thanks Bonnie....he would have liked to see more "stuff", more BRIGHTS inside the barn...myself, i thought it was enough....but hey, only one mans opinion! but i certainly agree about the position of the door..ya know, with all the posts, nobody mentioned its' position in the middle...maybe because it there was enough going on in the rest of the painting that you werent drawn to it so much...I personally thought the dark areas were all balanced..but thats ok...i still am happy with it and will plunge on!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 PM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Thanks Kim for sharing this with all of us. It's always a benefit to walk away with some sort of help from a critique. I agree that you were lucky to have had this time with the juror and for him to share his expertise. Thank you for letting us in on this so that we might ALL learn something from it. I really liked your painting and I'd just re-paint it again and remember those pointers and apply them.

Darla
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM
A Local Legend
Northeastern Ont

Hails from Canada

Kim,
I'm glad you came out of the critique with a positive outlook. Just remember, it is one person's opinion. As well as just his opinion about being in a show. If it is entered in another it might win a prize. Good critiques are great for getting ideas but remember it is your painting

www.ellenspalette.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
Lindsay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

thanks Darla and ellen....but Darla, I can surely say, I wont be painting it again..but there will be others, cuz im such a barn fanatic and I will keep my composition in mind.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Kim,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is a very valuable thing the juror did to have this session with those who got in and those who didn't. What a terrific opportunity to learn!

I took another look at your painting and I see what he was pointing out. I don't think any of us noticed the central placement of the door because it was in the lower portion of the painting, not in the center of the page itself. Another thing we need to think about!

In my Monday painting class, we end the class with a critique period. It has become one of the most-looked-forward-to parts of each class. Even the beginners are now putting their paintings up for us to look at and comment on. Our teacher is a juror for shows too, so her input is always valued and she is very gentle in pointing out "flaws" that could be corrected in that painting or kept in mind for future ones.

Thanks for sharing with us. Think I'll give you my Mentor point today.

Sylvia
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Lindsay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Gee, Thanks Sylvia
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
A Local Legend
Germany

Hails from Germany

Thank you for sharing, Kim!
I didn't notice the position of the door either ... but i can see his points. I'm glad you're seeing this as a great leraning experience, i am too.
I like your painting as it is

Jutta