WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Weekly Drawing Thread 27th Feb- 5th Mar

Weekly Drawing Thread
Welcome to the weekly drawing thread! Each week a new thread with a reference and suggestions for that reference will be posted for anyone to draw and post their results throughout the week. You may follow the weekly suggestion which will be a loose guideline to try or draw and experiment on your own and post your results.

Attempt to keep your work to a sketchbook size and consider attaching your image as a thumbnail to make it easier for us to browse the work. Also, when posting you should consider adding information such as medium, support, dimensions, whether complete or not, so it will be easier for others to comment on your work.

The goal of this thread is open-ended. This means you decide what it is you want out of a weekly challenge. Do you want to just sketch or do you want to become more proficient at drawing, or do you wish to break into other mediums or just play around? It is entirely up to you as the artist. You know your own strengths and weaknesses and you can find them in each reference we are faced with. Practice is where it’s at, just think of this thread as your personal motivator.

Any level of drawing is encouraged to join in!!!

Two Reminders: Different mediums are fine as long as we post preliminary drawings, sketches, and "under-drawing" of the painting, so the discussion on the thread stays relevant...and be sure to post the final painting for comparison of your drawing. Drawing can be crucial to the final product of a painting and we would like to see how!

We accept submissions for reference photos! Feel free to PM reference photos or links to Dee, Jay or Judi, of images out of the image library that you would like to see here or upload your own photos...but be sure to keep in mind of photo quality and choice of reference. I put all submissions in order of their arrival in our PM Inboxes. Have anymore questions regarding this, feel free to PM one of us. Thanks!

This week's image was submitted by Deirdre from a reference library image by P.S.P that can be found here.

This week's suggestion: Once you have the basic shape, the key to drawing is to study the positive and negative shapes as well as to carefully observe the fine details of light, shadow and colour….
You could do the whole thing or just the butterfly …or your own favourite butterfly!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Snow Belt, Ohio USA

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Drawing Thread 27th Feb- 5th Mar

Deirdre, Thank you for the lovely pic to work from this week, oh, the possibilities! I'm trying to get into the swing of the WDT, a week late, a day late, maybe this week I'll be on time!! (or not lol)
Looking forward to everyones works.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 08:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

A beautiful image Dee. Ready to start on this one!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM

Hails from England

I'm pleased you both like it! I thought the colours were great...and those backlit leaves....
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Wow Dee-a lot going on there! I will do it in some medium-not sure what yet.
Very pretty and great choice!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 10:31 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

sigh...maybe this week....
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

I'm not sure if I will get to this - I'm hoping.
Last year we went to see the Monarch Butterfly migration (I'm sure Mary has been too.) Imagine the air filled with a million butterflies - one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast
NSW Australia

Hails from Australia
Wink Re: Weekly Drawing Thread 27th Feb- 5th Mar

Hi there everyone
I have been lurking around for a week or two not being brave enough to post anything after seeing how clever everyone is.. I'm going to have a go at this weeks thread, the butterfly is beautiful i hope i can do it justice.. im pretty new to drawing etc but i love it and i guess thats the main thing.. im looking forward to learning heaps and getting to know everyone.
Naomi
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasberry
Hi there everyone
I have been lurking around for a week or two not being brave enough to post anything after seeing how clever everyone is.. I'm going to have a go at this weeks thread, the butterfly is beautiful i hope i can do it justice.. im pretty new to drawing etc but i love it and i guess thats the main thing.. im looking forward to learning heaps and getting to know everyone.
Naomi

Hi Naomi, glad you made it over here!

My Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
NSW Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes i found it easily thanks to your link :-)
Thanks for your warm welcome im already hooked its 11:30pm here and im trying to boot myself off here and get some sleep lol
Have a great day
Naomi
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Connecticut

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasberry
Hi there everyone
Naomi

I'm glad you found the courage to join in. Everyone is welcome. Good luck with this weeks image.

web site - Facebook - Blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Hails from England

Hi Naomi! Welcome to D&S. Don't get stressed out by the drawing...do what you can...then ask for either help, so you can improve what youve done...or say it's finished! We're fairly gentle here...unless you want us not to be!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

This is one I did last year when I was doing a "painting a day".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243188
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Hails from England

Foil...you can submit that one...and/or do another to see how you've progressed, or with different pencils!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Grand Blanc Michigan

Hails from United States

Lovely choice...might be able to find some time this week to get to this one, will visit the thread and see all's work, if I can't get to it myself.

Mary