WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Derwent INKTENSE

New pencils from Derwent, I am told they are in the shops now but have not seen any yet - I got a preview sample yesterday.

First off - I am really excited by these! They feel nice and look amazing!

Do you recall some months back, I showed you a pencil sample that Derwent were working on, that used INK instead of paint pigment? I got into trouble for that, rightly, as I had been asked not to mention it. I have cleared that it is OK for me to talk about these now! I raved about the pencil then, and am delighted to do so about them now.

There are 23 colours and what they call an outliner, which is non-soluble, in the set. I can't tell the difference between the outliner and 8B graphite at the moment - not sure there is any difference! The colours shown in the chart below are fine, nice range. At first they all seem a bit dark, but of course when you wet them, they lighten, and brighten, and you can get as dilute/pale a wash as you want.

And what washes! Clear, transparent, go on for ever, bright, intense - sooooo much better than any w/sol pencils I have seen.

The other good/bad thing is that they are inks - not paints. Once you have let a wash dry, it is fixed, you cannot lift it. Which lets you do glazes, like in the second image below - at the top, I have mixed the two colours wet, below I let the blue dry first then washed the yellow over it.

Upsides -
  • The depth, intensity and clarity of the washes from these pencils is unique and unsurpassed - it is just amazing
  • Good range of colours, and mixing of course will make anything you want
  • Lovely smooth feel
Downsides -
  • I loved the feel of the pencils, but not one of them would hold a sharp point under the slightest pressure. I guess I would be using these under dry pencil, so would not need a sharp point though.
  • I got one rogue pencil - the Chili Red was exceptionally scratchy and did not work at all at one point - I would have returned this one if I had paid for it!
  • Lightfastness is not stated, but I believe that it has not been a consideration. As far as I am aware, inks are not lightfast, but I will let you know if I find out more about this. The literature for these pencils mentions fashion and illustrations a lot.
I will certainly be using these pencils in my workshops and demos, and cannot wait to try them out in some art work. The examples that the literature shows are very impressive. And I have not been paid anything by Derwent to give these views! Now all the CPSA and UKCPS have to do is to ask if these are cp or not!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 AM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States
Re: Derwent INKTENSE

Bob! What an opportunity you have to be first in use. Okay! I want some. Maybe I will feel like a watercolorist again. Beautiful instense colors. I wonder if Carrie's in Canada carries them yet? Will have to explore. Thanks for the update.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
Torrance, Caifornia

Hails from United States

Bob, really nice review makes me look forward to using them. I will be glad to hear if you can use them in work for CPSA.

Rosa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Yeah I can see your fishes in these Marilyn! Rosa, I guess the only way to find out what the CPSA think is to ask them. The UKCPS is discussing them at present, I am sure the CPSA will do so soon if they have not already.

Thought you might want to see some more. The tin cover was done by Trudy Friend who is a very well known artist over here for her drawing books. The pencils have the Derwent style lacquer coat with colour dipped ends, hexagonal 7mm barrels, 4mm cores, as near as I can tell. The gold lettering brush on the barrel shows they are w/sol, and the numbering goes from I (Capital I) 01 to I24.
Attached Images

Last edited by bearded bob : 02-16-2006 at 10:37 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 10:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Oh Wowie! Too cool by far Bob! No wonder you've been so quiet lately. You 've been tucked away working feverishly with your new toys. Lucky man!

Do you know if these are available in the US? And how? They look a lot like the Dr Maritn liquid dyes that graphic designers have used for years. They too are not permanent. Any dye is fugitive (unless specially formulated), and if that is what they are, it stands to reason they might be too. But they look like total fun!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Weezy you have got it, just like the bright ink dyes, but in a stick! A lot less mess, and of course you can scrape some into a palette add water and there is the pure ink! I think Derwent have a real winner here!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I just got off the phone with Dick Blick. They had not even heard of them yet! But their research and new products lady is now hot on the trail of these new pencils. She said they may have to be special ordered for stateside, until Derwent sends them abroad. Lucky ducks, in the UK. Enjoy Bob! You'll have to do a demo piece with them for us. Your stuff is always such a treat to watch.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States

I just got off the phone with my supplier and they have not heard of them yet. But the new products person said they will see what they can find out about them. I hope that you will do a demo piece for us. I am very excited. They might have to ship them to the US until they are available.

Keep us posted.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Immortalized
Michigan

Hails from United States

Deepat used these to do a sheltie on last week's WDT on the Drawing & Sketching forum. she had amazing results with them. they're bright!

~Billie Crain~
ArtByCrain Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Seattle Area

Hails from United States
Re: Derwent INKTENSE - US Availability?

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks, Bob, for your Inktense information and demo!

Question for you, or for anyone who may have the answer - any ideas as to when the Inktense sets might be available in the states? The colors look luscious - I can't wait to try them!

Best to all,

Susan

~ Robert Brault, writer & software developer
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks for the information Bob. I will be looking for these to become available in my area. I can't wait to try them.

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures." ~ Henry Ward Beecher
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Temple, Texas

Hails from United States

More toys!! These sound like a lot of fun! Thanks Bob!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Just got lightfastness results for these pencils from Derwent - they are surprisingly good! as they use dyes not pigments I was expecting most colours to be pretty fugitive, but there are a good number of high scores in there, and I have every confidence in the accuracy of their tests. 6 or over is a good score. Well done again Derwent!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Inktense Lightfastness.doc (24.5 KB, 760 views)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
Grants Pass, OR

Hails from United States

Well, those are some scores that would make me more likely to try them. Having watched art dissolve because it was on bad paper, I won't ever, ever bother even playing with inferior, temporary supplies again. Thank you for posting that information, Bob. It was pretty important to me.

Marci
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

Thanks Bob!

Meisie