Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Making Paint From Pigments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    gunzorro

I am a little new at making paint from pigments, but have mixed up a fair amount so far. Before I go further and order more pigments, I was wondering if I could get some advice?
        I’ve tried pigment from several sources: Kremer, Maimeri, Natural Pigments and an unknown older source. All are quite gritty, even after mixing with a metal plaster’s knive on frosted glass surface. They work, but the handling and matte surface effect are not exactly what I want, at least not all the time.
        I also have a mortar and pestle around 700ml volume, which I found all but useless for grinding/mixing a fair amound of paint.
        I admire manufactured paint and enjoy the consistency of the better ones like Old Holland and Mussini, but don’t know if this is possible with handmade paint. I know the next step is to get a glass muller and start grinding to finer particle size.
        To complicate things, effort-wise, I like to make batches of a single pigment of at least 100ml at a time, and tube it up in appropriate sizes, usually a couple 40ml and a 15ml from a session.
        Is it possible to rival the smoothness of manufactured paint?
        How long should I expect to grind 100ml to come up with satisfactory results?
        Is there an easier, faster way to grind down the pigment to finer, more consistent particles?
        Thanks, Jim

turlogh

Get yourself a muller and slab. Your paint making experience will be very different.

David Rourke
            gunzorro

Making large batches is still practical with a muller? I was looking at getting a glass muller by Lucas, 100mm in diameter, to try to get as much done as possible. I have a sheet of 1/4″ glass about 14×20.

gunzorro

Robert or GeorgeOh — what kind of consistency could I look for in muller-ground paint? Can it rival the smooth short paints, like OH? I would love to get rid of the gritty nature of the pigments and wonder if it can be done without a mill?

JamieWG

Jim, what pigments have you mixed up so far? I’ve only made ultramarine blue, since I find that one to have the biggest shortcomings in the tubed varieties in all mediums. That one mixes up to a rich, smooth consistency with just a palette knife! (I used the Gamblin pigment.) It’s so easy to mix that I’ve been making just a little at a time as I need it, and storing it in a 1/2 oz. plastic sealed container in the freezer.

In the little bit of price-shopping I’ve done, it seems that the Lucas pigments in the 750ml size are the most reasonable. (Haven’t priced out Kremer yet, but since they’re right here in NY, I’ll give them a call this week.) It was so much fun making my own, so I’m eager to tap into your experiences as you go along.

Have you found a good transparent red oxide pigment? Are they mostly the earth colors that you’re finding gritty?

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                        [/url]
                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

I am a little new at making paint from pigments, but have mixed up a fair amount so far. Before I go further and order more pigments, I was wondering if I could get some advice?
                        I’ve tried pigment from several sources: Kremer, Maimeri, Natural Pigments and an unknown older source. All are quite gritty, even after mixing with a metal plaster’s knive on frosted glass surface. They work, but the handling and matte surface effect are not exactly what I want, at least not all the time.
                        I also have a mortar and pestle around 700ml volume, which I found all but useless for grinding/mixing a fair amound of paint.
                        I admire manufactured paint and enjoy the consistency of the better ones like Old Holland and Mussini, but don’t know if this is possible with handmade paint. I know the next step is to get a glass muller and start grinding to finer particle size.
                        To complicate things, effort-wise, I like to make batches of a single pigment of at least 100ml at a time, and tube it up in appropriate sizes, usually a couple 40ml and a 15ml from a session.
                        Is it possible to rival the smoothness of manufactured paint?
                        How long should I expect to grind 100ml to come up with satisfactory results?
                        Is there an easier, faster way to grind down the pigment to finer, more consistent particles?
                        Thanks, Jim

Jim,

There is more to it than simply adding oil to a pile of pigment, and mixing it up. What results in siimply mixing like that is a paste. Turlogh’s advice is very good. I personally don’t mix up a great deal of paint at one time. Maybe the amount of an unshelled peanut at max. It has taken me up to an hour and a half to mull that amount to the point where I am satisfied.

Short of making a paste, when making paint, one is truly shooting for the full encapsulation of each and every particle of pigment, in an oil binder. This takes time. When not done properly, the “paint may be lumpy, and at the microscopic level if each particle isn’t encapsulated in oil, and parts remain without proper binder, the resulting work is prone to severe cracking over time. When you go to the museum, and see old paintings that are cracked very badly, in addition to the atmospheric effects on improperly prepared supposts, as well as issues pertaining to premature varnishing, this is another cause of the damage that art work incurs. If the pigment you are using is from the sources that you have mentioned, the grittiness is most likely due to particles that are not fully encased in oil, and are stuck together, you can’t see it with your eye, but it gives itself away in the crunch on your slab.

The paint that I make is rather juicy, but so much more highly pigmented than my best store bought paint, that it has led me to really wonder what the manufacturers are putting in there. My paint is so vibrant, that the whites especially, almost appear to create their own light. Like I said however, they remain juicy, so I do not use them impasto. Rather, I apply them with soft sable brushes.

If you are attemptingto rival the working characteristics of commercial paint, you will need to add some extras, such as wax, but I would make sure that the paint was fully mulled, prior to the addition of any other mediums.

Remember, it takes patience, and time. If you take your time, and do it right, and mull in an almost meditative manner, you won’t be disappointed.

Jim

antonio

In the little bit of price-shopping I’ve done, it seems that the Lucas pigments in the 750ml size are the most reasonable. (Haven’t priced out Kremer yet, but since they’re right here in NY, I’ll give them a call this week.)
                            Have you found a good transparent red oxide pigment? Are they mostly the earth colors that you’re finding gritty?
                            Jamie

….since you’re in the ‘hood’ you can also try visiting Guerra Paint & Pigment 1-212-529-0628 http://www.guerrapaint.com and Robert Doak 1-718-237-1210….both carry an excellent range of dry pigments as well as the aforementioned Kremer 1-800-995-5501……..ps. you can also store your homemade oil paints in small glass jars topped with a little linseed oil….it beats the freezer IMO…..good luck….antonio

Yeah, one word: mulling.

Definitely necessary to get the best encapsulation, which will give the longest-lasting paint (both liquid and after use).

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

rroberts

Hello Jim:

Get a muller and slab.
                                Smaller mullers are fine. I also have a large one, but don’t use it too often except for quantities of white.

You can get tubes from http://www.danielsmith.com
                                Our WC Industry Partner, http://www.naturalpigments.com, carries mulling starter sets, as well as beginner pigment sets, and I believe there is a mulling tutorial there. You can also find a mulling tutorial at the Sinopia website.

Tell us what pigments you have made up so far. Earth pigments will tend to be a bit grainy depending on the pigment, but that’s exactly what you want because it’s the real thing, not someone else’s notion of what they think you should have.

Save yourself a LOT of time and effort – make up only a Tablespoon or so at a time, use small tubes, and don’t even fill them all the way. You may want to make more white, but other colors that you seldom use may dry out in the tube before you can use up all the paint. Some colors, like raw umber and genuine vermillion, are better if mulled and used the same day. Raw umber is naturally siccative and really will dry up in a large tube before you can ever use it all.

Not all additives are bad. You will want some marble dust or chalk to help with some pigments like ultramarine because synthetic ultramarine comes up real stringy and thus some additives are necessary to help with consistency. I avoid using wax, but that’s a personal choice — you would be smart to read up on wax with pigments though before deciding to use it.

Remember that you are not incorporating the additives and fillers of commercial paint manufacturers. Gamblin, for instance, makes no bones about using as much as it takes to achieve a uniform consistency from batch to batch. Also, commercial companies must plan for a long shelf life for their product, and you don’t need to do that.

You will discover that YOUR paint goes farther because it’s the real deal.
                                Part of the magic of handmade paint comes in discovering first hand that pigments have their own personality, and this becomes a very real part of the painting process.

Take your time. Start with only a couple of pigments. You need to learn about each one, both mulling and painting with what you’ve made. Some pigments require a fair amount of oil, others seemingly almost none. You will also discover that mulling most pigments to a real stiff consistency can backfire, so find a middle ground for each one. Remember that you can mull to the consistency you like to work with.

You will find, too, that making your own paint adds an entirely different perspective to the concept of a limited palette. It takes time to make your paint, and just how many hours can you devote to making paint?

I hope this helps.

-- Robert
                                gunzorro

Thanks folks, that gives me some orientation.
                                    Pigments I have worked with so far include lead white, yellow ochre, cobalt blue, chrome yellow, lead tin yellow, chrome green light and dark, venetian red, jarosite and (five other NP earths).
                                    I am looking to not only make personalized paints, but reduce the cost of some colors I use a lot of. I use a lot of paint doing large abstract impasto pieces, so making small quantities is not really practical for me. I want a quantity of paint ready to use at a moment’s notice.
                                    I have found in making the above pigments into paint (except for the lead, which is easy to make creamy with only a palette knfe and a couple minutes work) that all these pigments include some large particles, and the average size is larger than I want.They also dry to a gritty matte finish. I can see how large some of the particles are when I am mixing — they leave streaks in the smoother paint.
                                    I have been wondering how to grind the pigment down to smaller size particles without using some sort of roller mill. It seems a muller might work, but I don’t want to spend four hours to make 100ml of paint!
                                    I already have tubes for 15ml, 40ml, 60ml, 120ml, and 200ml. I use the mid range the most and seldom us the 15ml except to pick up small remainders after I’ve filled bigger tubes.
                                    So, do you think a 100mm muller will allow me to crush large quantities of pigment down to the particle size I want in relatively short period of time, like an hour for 100ml?

gunzorro

Any idea where would a person might find a very small 3-roller mill with adjustments? And at what sort of cost?

Here are some example from some tests I did recently on 12×16 disposable palette, featuring the six NP pigments I received. Top is mixed with palette knife and linseed. Middle is the top mixed with white. Bottom is the top selection thinned further with oil to a glaze.

The example of Hematite shows excessive granulation.

The smoothest, but still gritty, was the Gold Ochre.

None of these is anywhere near the smoothness of top quality manufactured paints such as Old Holland or Mussini, which I would love to duplicate.

I have found in making the above pigments into paint… that all these pigments include some large particles, and the average size is larger than I want.They also dry to a gritty matte finish. I can see how large some of the particles are when I am mixing — they leave streaks in the smoother paint.

Just to clarify something, you’re not grinding pigment particles down to a smaller size really. You’re breaking up agglomerations – little clumps – modern pigments are made to a generally smaller, and more uniform, particle size than in the past.

I know this sort of sounds like an arbitrary distinction but it’s important to understand the difference – you wouldn’t be able, by hand, to reduce some pigments to a smaller particle size because of the hardness of the minerals and the effort involved, but you should be able to break down agglomerations with relative ease.

It seems a muller might work, but I don’t want to spend four hours to make 100ml of paint!

Seriously, it might take nearly that long. In fresco for example each batch of some natural earths might be mulled for hours (hence the looooong line of people waiting for a fresco apprenticeships :D). That’s generally considered excessive for paint but some pigments will require longer mulling to achieve the same consistency that comes easily to another (in part because of the solidity of their agglomerations).

Any idea where would a person might find a very small 3-roller mill with adjustments? And at what sort of cost?

The cost will be thousands new. I have heard you can get lower-cost ones for less although they really do need to be made with precision, so it might be a false economy. Ask George or another contact that makes paint commecially, they should be able to direct you if you have the budget.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

gunzorro

Einion — thanks for the clarification on the mineral clumps. I can understand the difficulty in trying to pound down the clumps to satisfactory sizes. I would probably need a series of screens at the very least if I want to make fine powders out of these.

I had supposed that new mills would be prohibitively expensive, but hope there might be something used the is more reasonable. I wonder if any other industries use these types of machines? Perhaps with some modification or substitution of rollers?

I know that as-is, as rough as they are, these can still be considered “paint” after adding linseed. But as I said, the mixtures dry to such a matte finish they contaminate other manufactured oils and reduce their luster. I am not interested in painting with only paints I make, or matte finish painting. Besides, the rougher paint does not flow or spread as easily and becomes more of a paste, as TRANKINA mentioned.

JamieWG

Gunzorro, if you need large quantities of high quality paints at reasonable prices, have you every tried Classic Artist Oils by the Triangle Corporation? (Not to be confused with Classico by Maimeri) They have some wonderful earth colors; their Venetian Red is my favorite brand in that color, and they sell in 4 oz tubes up to caulking-gun-size tubes and quart cans. I like their yellow ochre a lot too, and also the trans red oxide, buff titanium, and others. They will likely be willing to send you samples of colors you’re interested in if you give them a call. They have their white sale running now, and they send a free tube of white with every order (my favorite white). Here’s a link for you to their website. They only sell direct to the artist, not through retailers (hence the lower prices):
                                                http://www.artistoils.com/htmls/default.asp

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                [/url]
                                                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Larry Seiler

yeppers….I’ll second Jamie on that..she turned me onto CAO paint!!!

I’ve been reading along here as I’m going to play with mixing a few paints. Do I need to? No…don’t feel my work is missing anything at the moment, but working on my masters in painting felt it would be good to experience it. I do get the feeling though that I might come upon something that is like getting smacked upside the head as an epiphany moment, seeing perhaps a richness not comparable to tube paints. Painting with a more limited palette than others, a minor difference could prove to be all the difference in the world.

Now..let me ask this question. How about improving a color with a mixed color?

Say I like the thickness of a particular French Ultramarine Blue but I just wish it were a bit richer, more intense.

As I understand it..without adding fillers and such and hours of grinding, the pigment is not going to be impasto thick such as coming out of the tube.

So…what thoughts about say adding a made up ultramarine blue pigment to an existing manufacturer Ultra Blue to beef it up?

Larry

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                                                    Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Making Paint From Pigments’ is closed to new replies.