WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Westphalia

Hails from Germany
Unhappy How to correct an acrylic painting

Hello there,

during the working progress of one of my current paintings I've done a mistake. The colour I used have less tranparency then I thought. It occurs that the geometrical figures destroy the character of the painting laying underneath. It is because the colour is to intense, it's an cremy white on a warm, red-orange oriented painting.
Do you have any idea, how can I correct this mistake without overpainting everything? Is it possible to make the figures more transparent?

Thank you for your help
Greetings,
Frank
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hails from England
Re: How to correct an acrylic painting

If it's aready dry, (which of course it is) then no. I'm afraid you have to repaint.
As the colour in question is a creamy white I expect this is either T. White mix
or Parchment, these are both very opauque colours. Even a little T.White in a medium can be suprisingly opaque. A damp paper towel will remove this if you realise your error immeadiatly (next time). I would reccommend buying a tube of Zinc white or mixing white, this is more transparent.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Depending on the size and complexity of the shape, you could try sanding some of the paint off with a fine sandpaper ........ other than that, Jeff advice is correct ........ but then, that's one of the beauties of Acrylic, it allows overpainting to correct mistakes

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Westphalia

Hails from Germany

Mhm, thanks.
Well, I feared overpainting, but I really have to.

It's very helpful for the future, that I have to take Zinc white instead of Titanium white (which one I used) for better transpareny. Thanks a lot, Jeff.
I never thought about it.

Best regards
Frank
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

If the layer you covered doesn't have a lot of detail that needs to be seen, perhaps you can just use a thin glaze (lots of medium) of the color you covered to bring it back. I've done this before.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

You may need to repaint and then reglaze the area with a lighter/thinner solution.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Adopted city Bangkok,Thailand

Hi, hope you don't mind I posted here Frank and thanks.
My problem is minor for you all... but I don't want to over work this painting.
I've painted underpaint too dark with Burnt Umber for my tomatoes on canvas which the ref. pic has a very dark background. What colour next to paint to make tomatoes not too dark?
Thank you for your help.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

I've used a trick in the past...won't necessarily help on this one but might lead to experimentation or future ideas where not wanting to do something over is concerned.

If you spray several coats of an acrylic clear varnish over something done or near done. Let dry of course...then apply a liquid brush on acrylic medium and let dry. Then you can paint into that medium area no problem. Of course paint would want to bead up and resist painting onto the varnish area, but applying the medium allows it.

Now say you don't like something you tried to paint...you can actually take a cloth and using a bit of water and some elbow grease...rub that painted area right off not harming what was sealed with the acrylic spray varnish beneath. Then you can try again or opt not to bother. If on the other hand you do like this addition or the changes...by simply applying another layer of spray varnish you lock that addition into the layers beneath.

Sorta like the 30 plus layers Rembrandt did with mediums, copals or varnishes and suspended areas of paint to produce the penetrating depth and realism in his oils...

just a thought anyway to register and store away for a "someday"....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia

When I make a mistake I just re gesso the area and start the offending area again when dry.