WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States
Book and DVD: Art Models Life Nudes

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the forum. I've added my intro post link below. I am a new student to Life Drawing, now in my 4th week of class.

Anyway, a few days ago I ordered the DVD called "Art Models Life Nudes" from Maureen and Douglas Johnson and wanted to share my thoughts about it. I find that the pictures to be every bit as good as described on their web site. There are a variety of high-quality poses with a good mix of male, female, body types, and poses. There are also some clothed and draped figures. The lighting in the pictures is excellent, which is a great help for a beginner like myself (for shadowing and tone). The poses are shot 360 degrees around the figure (similar to Virtual Pose) giving all the angles.

I bought the DVD without the book for only $20, which is inexpensive for over 3100 pictures. I ordered the book on Friday and got it today (Monday). I also received a confirmation e-mail within hours of ordering it, which I thought was a nice touch.

I don't have any stake in this book in case this message reads like that. I'm just a person who appreciates getting what I paid for and good customer service.

Craig Miller
Chandler, AZ

Links:

"Art Models Life Nudes" by Maureen and Douglas Johnson
http://www.livemodelbooks.com/

My Intro
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317135
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Book and DVD: Art Models Life Nudes

Craig, you are obviously a patient... and orderly person!
Working from books can be difficult, deciding to take some lessons was a good choice, and the resulting drawings must be encouraging for you!
I haven't used or seen the dvd type models, they must be very useful.
Ill look forward to see some of your work, especially from the life class... when you are ready!

Mac
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrobertson
Craig, you are obviously a patient... and orderly person!

Wow, you pegged me! I'm an electronics design engineer by profession, with zero drawing experience prior to last year.

Quote:
Working from books can be difficult, deciding to take some lessons was a good choice, and the resulting drawings must be encouraging for you!

I find the pictures on computer to be a great help for me personally. I set up a random order slideshow and set it for different times depending on if I am doing a gesture drawing or something with more shading. I print out the ones I want to do detail versions of so I can draw my proportions and 'plumb lines' as reference.

Quote:
Ill look forward to see some of your work, especially from the life class... when you are ready!

I plan to be brave enough to do that this weekend. I see a lot of encouragement and good advice given in this forum.

Craig
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast
Phoenix AZ

Hails from United States

Hey Craig good to hear your working away at it and I like to see reviews of all kinds. This review is most helpful as I have been wanting to get this DVD and book. I don't know if I would every really use it but I like your idea of the slide show to draw from.
I draw from dvd movies now and then and draw from photos I have taken on my dvd player.
I just love having a ton of reference at my finger tips.
I always by all the how to books and movies to study.
Barry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2006, 04:21 PM

Hi,

I'm also new to drawing. I started taking lessons about 5 months ago. I've also bought the 'poses' from Live Model Books. I think the quality and variety are excelent to say the very least.

I've also subscribed to the website "Human Anatomy for the Artist (.com). I think their work is also excelent, even if it's just 8 angles per pose.

Brian Sweetnam
South Africa