WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
New England

Hails from United States
Lebanon Trail

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lebanon Trail
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a fun attempt to use every type of paint I had in the house. However, I'm not sure the mixed media added any advantages over doing it all in one media. What do you think? I thought the watercolor sky was realistic and the mountains benefited from the matte of the gouache, casein, and egg tempura used. But, the foreground could probably have been one media and come out the same.

There's also a time-increment photo of the various media going on it but it's not uploading. Sorry.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1) Does the mixed media add anything to it or should I have just stuck to one media? 2) Do you have any cautions on media not to mix in layers (other than no water-based paints on top of oils). I wondered for example about the permanence of stuff on top of Flashe Vinyl. A no no? 3) How would you protect a mixed media painting like this? I thought under glass. A spray varnish is possible but may mess with the watercolor. A brush on varnish would be totally disruptive.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States
Re: Lebanon Trail

I'm sorry, I really don't have any suggestions mixed media and the care thereof...but what I would like to talk to you about are your tonal values.

This is a lovely painting. You've given us a bright sunny day...beautiful flowers...a lovely expanse of field and mountains. the problem that I see here is you have such dark tones on throughout the painting. As things get further away from us they become more gray in value, they lose focus, they become lighter.

If you lighten up those mountains and soften your lines that will push your mountains back in space. then feel free to add more rich darks to the foreground and spice up the detail on your main focus...

Or you could try leaving the mountains as they are but severely punch up the darks in the foreground. there would naturally be some visable difference to such a distance.

I do like the way you have handled the mountains. I like the rich colours...but as a whole the painting could stand to be pushed to the next level.

If you take your photo of the painting and convert it to black and white this will help you to see the tonal values of the painting.

Hope this helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Interesting subject and composition.
I like all the different kinds of plants.
You could make the sky a little bluer to contrast the ground more.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM
New England

Hails from United States

Thank you both. I really appreciate the feedback on tonal values because that's a persistent problem for me. Usually I have to do a monochrome to get better tone. This is one of the Achilles heels of being self taught. The paintings can get close but they seldom make it to that next level. Thanks.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
new smyrna beach florida usa

Hails from United States

i like the hill shaping