WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2002, 11:37 PM

Hails from United States
Charcoal landscape

This is the first all-charcoal anything I have ever done....I copied this freehand just loosely from a color calender photo...I tried to do mine more impressionistic than realistic ....the photo was more realistic than anything.
I am VERY new to charcoal and know ZIP about it, or it's behaviors and I can tell you it needs my discipline and I am not qualified to give it any.....lol..(not yet) ..more experimenting than anything and I needed something to do..
All comments except negative ones are welcome.....lol....just kidding, if you hate it just tell me....Ü
Also I can't really tell what you are seeing....my monitor is a lot darker than most...you might be seeing it too light...with too little contrast but I would have to see it on a good monitor to know for sure and I need a little guy on my shoulder to tell me to stop typing already!!!!....lol
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2002, 11:53 PM

Hails from United States
LOL.....I didn't attach the picture....I'm alert!......NOT!
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States
oh wow!!

deb you did a fantastic job on this!! i work mostly in charcoal and know what you mean when you say its hard to work in...the drawing shows depth..a 3d look kinda....i love it!!...its alittle dark...but thats probably your scan...( i bet the little odd fellow that lives in my scanner has a cousin in california living in yours!!)...he trys to "fix" whats not broken...you know how men are....sheshhh.....anyway...deb...dont give up on charcoal...you did great!

Shelley
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2002, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
I know less than zip about charcoal, but I particularly like the way you've used the paper's texture to advantage in this piece.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2002, 06:18 PM

Hails from United States
Shelley:
Thank you for saying that, coming from you the charcoal expert, it means a lot....and yes I think I have his cousin in my scanner, but I think he also has evil relatives living in my monitor and actually is in every aspect of my life.
Rose Queen:
Thank you, and I'm glad you liked it too. Just shows all efforts aren't wasted I guess.

Last edited by Debs : 02-10-2002 at 10:04 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Greeley, Colorado

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Debs,
This is very nice for a first attempt with charcoal. I use charcoal pencils (vine charcoal and me don't mix - I look like a kindergartener when I touch it and it crumbles on me when I walk in the room).
You did a great job on the bridge. Like Shelley said, you got a great 3D effect going there. I also liked the impressionistic look did with the trees.
I'd like to see more of this kind of work from you. You did a great first go at it. Bet with some practice, you'll be knocking our socks off.

Have a great day!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States
Deb,

This is very nice - you're kidding us, this surely isn't your first charcoal drawing? Well done.

I don't like to get messy, so haven't tried much with charcoal, although I have 3 charcoal pencils. I really should try them out.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Cleveland, Oh.,USA

Hails from United States
Hey Debs,
Very nice! It desn't look like a first attemt at all.
Charcoal is my favorite drawing medium -- i have a cigar box full of all types and shapes. I've even been known to grab a briquet at a bar-b-q and have a go at the sidewalk...
Something fun to do with charcoal -- completely cover the paper with a soft vine and then use fingers/kneaded eraser/tortillons to create your picture. (if ya' don't mind gettin' dirty )

Have fun!
Gisela

All original art work posted by this artist is protected by copyright and may not be copied or altered in any manner without the written consent of the artist.
Artworks by Gisela Towner
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2002, 07:57 PM

Hails from United States
Hate feeling rude here, so I need to reply.

greencook Thank you for all the nice things you said about my little charcoal drawing..., and it could be worse than having charcoal crumble when you enter a room, your world could crumble whenever you wake up.......that's worse!

Surfinia Yep, first whole charcoal anything and probably last thing and thank you for your nice comments too. You should try the pencils because they aren't messy. Well, I suppose they could be if you kept smearing your hands on your charcoal drawing and then on everything you come in contact with, and kept breaking the lead and not finding it until you noticed crumbled stepped on led pieces all over your nice light carpeting ... everything can be messy I guess...even my sentence structure right now.

Gisela I bet Surfinia wouldn't try the briquet at a bar-b-q trick...lol......they are messy but I think pastels are worse, and thank you for the nice compliment too.

Can anyone here tell me what the difference between vine and willow charcoal is???....no one ever refers to them being messy...just wondered.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States
difference?

well..one is grown on a vine..one is grown on willow branch....emm....or...one is picked from a vine and one is grown near a willow tree?? or.....emm....one is plucked from a vine...one is...emm....how the hell do i know deb....i just work here..<--(this works at work)

Shelley
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 07:44 PM

Hails from United States
Shelley Sheesh! Now where in Sam Hill did I ask where or how it grows??----->
I asked for it's differences, and why no one refers to them being messy. Now whether it is picked, plucked, pickled, cloned, born or dug up, that won't quite explain the differences between the two of them and why they are not referred to as messy will it???
:-)~~~~~~ And I say this in the nicest possible way
Sarcastic Debs
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States
oie!

Can anyone here tell me what the difference between vine and willow charcoal is?....hello!! i was only answering one question at a time!!...i have yet to post the second part...i am old...im allowed to post in sections if i want!!....geezz..heard about road rage..is this WC rage?....*hehe*

Shelley
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast
Greeley, Colorado

Hails from United States
Debs,
OK, once and for all I will declare vine charcoal as messy as if using a charcoal bricquet!
My wife doesn't even want me using it after my last attempt! Course I could make a mess with nearly anything.

Actually, I think I remember reading somewhere (and no I don't remember the source right now) that vine charcoal is actually made from willow twigs. Willow, because its a soft wood, thus making a soft charcoal = darker values.

Ok, I've exhausted myself trying to remember all that.
Please don't take it for gospel truth cuz I may have remembered it all wrong.

Hey, also thought I'd pass on to you that I got a glare protector for my monitor yesterday (better yet, a freebie). Its been amazing the detail I can see in this piece with it that I couldn't before. Really made the 3D effect pop out.

Have a great day!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States
Okay, Deb, I'll put on my overalls and do my sketch Friday night with the charcoal pencils. Since Animal is doing the honors, there'll probably be critters to draw. Can you give me some pointers to get me started - have never done charcoal except to draw some lines with the pencils just after I bought them.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2002, 08:16 PM

Hails from United States
Shelley WC rage......lol
Thank you for trying and forgive my sarcastic urges, I'm having a hard time with life as I now know it, and would you please stop referring to yourself as old.
greencook Thank you for that.....whew.....so willow I gather is softer than even vine and thus makes darker values.....messier then.....yes??...
Since you were so helpful here, would you by any chance be a Bison expert?? There are big misconceptions going on in the Bison thread.....isn't there Shelley??