WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 05:05 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England
Re: Basic 101: Class 33 - Advanced Realistic Portraiture

Troy - thank you for a superb write up! Thank you so much for your time a dedication!
And what a fantastic drawing - the eyebrows and moustache, the detail in the eyes! Gobsmacked!
Armin - wow, if I had only known what a yummy fella you are!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
East Midlands, England, UK.

Hails from United Kingdom

I am typing this tiny little bit of text out in Word and then posting it, as I am sick of WC suddenly disappearing when I am mid-post.

Iíve drawn, scanned and looked at my greyscale and Iím not sure if my second darkest isnít dark enough. The contrast between dark one and two isnít as obvious in rl as it is on the scan. Having now studied the ref photo, I can see how little white there is, as there is only one tiny little dot of white on one of the teeth; all the other highlights have very light grey in them.

Rather than writing on my drawing, Iíve studied the ref and written what-goes-where on the greyscale, I hope that is ok Troy?

As far as Armin and how good looking he is goes; I knew by reading his posts and looking at his work what an attractive man he is. But your rendering of him is pretty fantastic Troy.
Attached Images

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Great writeup Troy! I've got some Strathmore 500 Bristol plate coming today which I will try for this since there is a lot of detail in homeless Mike. Hopefully I'll have the line drawing done by the weekend when I have my real drawing time.

You spoke of noting tonal values on the printout of the ref. One suggestion I can make for people with Photoshop is this. If you posterize your initial grayscale image you can easily see where various tonal areas are located. Matti K talks about this in his book and it really does help. With PS7, bring up your image and change mode to grayscale if it isn't already. Then click on Image/adjustments/posterize. There you can set the number of tones you wish to see. I'm sure this feature is available in earlier versions though I don't know for certain just how to get to it.

Ken

[Edit] - I also find it very helpful to use Photoshop as I go along. Make a new image and put your reference photo next to your drawing, flatten the image and look at it. Side by side at the same scale causes me to more easily see where I have gone astray.

[Edit2] - would it be possible to put your intro into a pdf format? That way people could download it, print it out or have it more readily available for reference as we go. I could do it if there is any interest.

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 01-30-2006 at 06:44 AM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Troy-You be the Man! You are an awesome writer, as well as artist.

I am almost done with my line drawing-75% anyway and should be done w/ that tonight. My crescent board was to be here Saturday but apparently from an e-mail I got it was just shipped from the factory Saturday. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow so I can start.

Thanks for the posterize info Ken. Will certainly give it a try.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast
NB, Canada

Hails from Canada

Troy, your drawing has more "life" than the photo - an excellent example of what you were trying to say. Armin, nice to see you.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Troy, this is brilliant and your demo outstanding, as usual. Armin is "quite tempting". From what I see now this class is going to be something that those of us that will be fortunate to take it will never forget. Thank you again for your generosity in giving us so much of your time and knowledge.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

Excellent write up on the class Troy The drawing of Armin is very well rendered. I only hope I can do half as well in mine.

As this is early MOnday morning and I don't have the correct paper with me, grayscale won't be done til tonight. After the greyscale should we just charge ahead and start drawing or is there a plan of action?

Good tip on using Photoshop for tones Ken. I'll try that.

Here's my reference again and my line drawing.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast
Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy

Hails from Australia

Hi All,

Magical portrait of Armin, Troy. I just about lost my nerve when I saw the standard. Anyway I'm a real beginner (wouldn't have taken you long to work that out) so I will have a go and see how far I get.

Here's my line drawing. Haven't transfered it yet because I have to get better paper. I think I'm going to have trouble with subject's right eye it isn't well lit in the reference. Do I have enough detail in this line drawing?

Along with everyone else, I'm so excited about this class, Troy and grateful for the huge effort on your part.

robyn

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast
Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy

Hails from Australia

I've done two greyscales. The one on the right, to try your technique - not sure I have it right as I'm getting lines where rows of circles overlap. The second (and smaller) is straight crosshatching and now I look at the scan the last 5 values all look much the same. I thought I might try circles again but do them both horizonatally and vertically. What do you think. Apologies if this question is too basic - you probably expect everyone to have mastered greyscales by now.

thanks
robyn
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Thanks Troy, great article and drawing. When I saw the portrait of Armin I felt like running way. (edited: not because Armin is not a good looking fellow. Just because I hardly think I can accomplish near as good you did. Armin is indeed nice looking guy and you are great at this!!!) Hope just to do as good as 1/3th of yours. I will try hard to the better.

I dont have mechanical pencils. I have a set of graphite pencils from 4h to 4b. Which should I use? I have winsor and newton smooth surface cardtridge pad available to me at the moment, is that ok?

I will work on the outline today and the grey scale in 2b for practicing.

Thanks again for leading this class.

Choose only one master - Nature ~ Rembrandt van Rijn
One learns how to paint while failing. ~ Jean-Baptiste Chardin

Last edited by rosebard : 01-30-2006 at 08:11 AM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Here is my line drawing. It is very, very light--drawn with a 4h pencil. I mapped out what I thought might be key areas such as high lights on the glasses.

Troy, I proably wont get to the grayscale until tonight.

OK, regarding the handsomeness of Armin Mersman--My dog, Bailey, thinks he is the cat's Meow!!

OH LET ME ADD: That is some superior writing, young man! Once of the best we have ever had.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayD : 01-30-2006 at 08:39 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Mumbai, India

Hails from India

Hi everyone

Brilliant write-up Troy..... I didn't feel bored reading it at all And the portrait is even better!

Heres my line drawing.the paper looks grey in the pic though...don't know why.

I'll do the greyscale and post that later. This is going to be a super class!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Centerville,Ohio

Hails from United States

Sorry Troy...Armin is very nice looking but your rendering of him is utterly fantastic!! (Didn't comment on it earlier )
I will re-do my line drawing as this is just a rough freehand sketch to try to get facial feature right before I start. I widened the cheeks and brought the chin up, do I need to make any other adjustments? I will do my greyscale at the same time I re-do this as a line drawing, OK? This is going to be a great class..your intro is very informative and easy to understand, not nearly as complicated as I had expected.
Sorry, Dave..too many years of nightshift messes with my sleep patterns sometimes. Besides I had been waiting ALL DAY for Troy to start posting last night so I couldn't sleep anyhow!!!
Brenda

Last edited by dippin'colors : 01-30-2006 at 09:43 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Mornin' folks!

Here are my ref and line drawing:

Last edited by artdude : 08-07-2006 at 10:11 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Troy doesn't live here anymore!

Hails from United States

Hey guys - your line drawings are looking fantastic. I've got a million things going on today and tomorrow so I'm going to be a bit scarce, but you should have plenty to keep you busy anyway. A few observations:

Jay - I still don't like the idea of you doing your line drawing with such a hard grade pencil. I'm not telling you that you "can't" do that, but I just think it's counterproductive because that hard lead is sure to leave tell-tale traces of itself even if you use a light touch.

Bernice - lol thanks but how do you know if my rendering of armin has more life than that photo? I didn't post the reference! If you think I did, then that's an even bigger compliment!

Robyn- the problem that I see with your grayscales is that both of them have very distracting linear patterns that would not work very well in skin tones. Remember that part of the exercise with this is to create your grayscales as though you were rendering skin tones. It's not just the values that we're after, but the right texture as well.

Ken and everyone- while I agree that the posterize function is useful as a tool while you work, I do not want it used for the purpose of creating the grayscale because it is based on a computer approximation and oversimplification of tones. I want you guys to look at a printout of your actual reference photo and match your tones that way - otherwise you are going to confuse yourselves if you try to match them to a posterized version of your ref in photoshop. Also remember that this is not a required step in the process anyway, but rather a suggestion. However, if you do it, I think it would be better to compare your values to the actual reference rather than some altered photoshop version thereof.