WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Stanrite 500 Aluminum Easel

Has anyone used this easel? I am seriously considering buying one for outdoor painting- the season is near. The price at Pat Catan's is $59.97- a good price compared to some other retailers.
Feedback is really appreciated. Even if you don't have that model- any aluminum one- how is it holding up?

"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them, that's the essence of inhumanity."
- George Bernard Shaw
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Virgin Islands

Hails from US Virgin Islands
Hi Davena. I have an alumium easel. I like it a lot but there are some downsides. I bought it because it won't be bothered by termites. (More critters then folks where I live). One problem is that I live right by the ocean and it has pitted quite a lot in the past year from the salt air.

Another.. I tried to do a plein air and the wind blew the easel into me and almost sent me off a cliff. We do have high trade winds and they were blowing 15 knots that day. Maybe this won't be an issue for you.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2002, 01:42 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Thanks for your reply. Since I live in Ohio salt air won't be a problem. Sounds like aluminum should last a good long time.
Thank you again.

"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them, that's the essence of inhumanity."
- George Bernard Shaw
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2002, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast
Sjbo, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Hi!
If the easel is to light in the wind hang a large waterbottle or a stone or something else that is heavy enough under the easel.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2002, 05:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
I have that same easel and it's wonderful for plein air! Very light and easy to carry. If there is wind it is a good idea to weigh it down as Rosemarie has suggested. If it's slightly breezy you can also dig small holes and bury a couple of inces if it into the ground. It's very easy to clean off later. I was going to give it away when i got my french easel but i'm glad that i didn't.
Cheryl
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2002, 07:56 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States
I bought one-thanks for all the info!

I really do like the easel- except for one thing- I sliced my thumb loosening the top thumb screw. OUCH!!! Guess I better drag out the sandpaper.

- George Bernard Shaw