WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 09:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
POLL: Southwest/Western Art Theme Forum

Since this subject is so near and dear to my heart (and I know it is to lots of others here), I thought I would put this link in for you all to vote yea or nay on a new forum for this subject.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321522

This forum could include many subjects: landscapes, wildlife, people, culture - in any medium.

For those who are new, whenever there is a big interest in a new type of forum on WC, a poll is taken in how large the interest is. Then it is put up to the Administration to see if it can be done. There was a big outcry for a Miniature painting forum - people backed it big time - and it is now reality.

We need your help!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States
Re: POLL: Southwest/Western Art Theme Forum

Kat,
If it incorporates all mediums I vote yes. There are art mags about SW and Western art. I personally love the genre. I use to go camping out there as a kid and it made a huge impression on me and as an adult, have found the art wonderful. Everything from Native American arts to the beatiful landscapes, ect.
Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Please vote at the poll site Diane - we need your support!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Kat,
I just did and by the way, the yes is winning with 83%. yea!!
Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Marietta, Georgia

I'm all for it and I casted my vote! Keep us posted on the outcome. I have piles of SW photos just waiting for me to paint!!!
Karen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
On a ranch in Texas-Finally

Hails from United States

I voted yes! It needs to not be a subforum. Subforums get lost or hard to find when they do something at the site level. It should be a major forum all to itself.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

I have not voted as I have no srong opinions one way or the other about a Southwestern forum. As I live in New Jersey I'm unlikely to produce much Southwestern art and would be unlikely to be a visitor to the site.

But I just have some curiosity in general about these venues. I know that here at WC we have channels for various mediums (pastels, oils, etc) as well as channels for subjects (landscapes, animals, etc). Now personally I just don't have enough time in the day to follow all these channels, so I basically just hang out in the pastels area since pastels are my chosen medium. But if I do a landscape or a still life or a cat I would never think about posting it to the Landscape or Still Life or Animals channels. I post it in Pastels.

So my own question (lol, maybe I should make a poll too) is do most people spend more time in the channels for their medium, or for the channels related to subject?

I mean, if we create a Southwestern channel would that tend to "bleed off" people from the Pastels channel who paint southwestern themes? Do these different channels fracture what gets posted where? And if you paint a southwestern landscape do you post it to Landscape or to Southwestern if you are posting via subject?

Of course this would be more of a moot point if there were an official and easy way to simultaneously cross-post your post to multiple channels, as there is with nntp newsgroups for example, but thats' a whole 'nother question altogether.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Good questions Scalloway. I tend to post in here and in the OP forum, but my time is limited because of my "unofficial job" as Moderator. I used to post and participate in the ADME, but have had to drop that also due to time constraints.

It might be an interesting forum to see all the different mediums put together doing a similar theme. I know if it comes to pass, it will be my little hideaway.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Well, I have a tendacy to bounce around, as much as time allows. I usually post in pastels and animal/wildlife. Or pastels and portrature, or pastels and WHATEVER my subject happens to be. So, I don't forsee a problem.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
On a ranch in Texas-Finally

Hails from United States

I will have southwestern art be my home if they create it, pastel second, oils third.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

This Arizona girl done voted.
thanks Kat, a great idea
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Scalloway, like you, I post in pastels and hang in this forum. I guess I feel this is where I can be to see the different beautiful works and different techniques in pastels. Plus, there are great people.
However, I developed an affection for the southwest from going so much as a kid and love the art of that special area. I have done some from pictures in books just like my french villages. I guess, with a good book with good photography I feel I can go anywhere I want (especially since in this area, the landscape isn't so inspiring-lol). And there are alot of people who feel great inspiration from the area.
I, like Scalloway, am a pastel junkie, but, I will enjoy peeking at the beauties they produce in the sw site if they get it.
Good luck, kat
Diane
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Debbie, someday you are just going to have to come out here...I give a heck of a tour. I mostly hang out in the pastel forum because I love pastels and everyone is so friendly and kind here. I also post a little in the animal forum and the WDEs...and no matter what other forums I visit I will always consider this forum to be my home.
piper

Last edited by Piper Ballou : 01-24-2006 at 08:53 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

I'd love to come visit someday! I was actually in the southwest once, many (many) years ago as a teenager. We drove from NJ across country to Colorado, down through Durango and the Four Corners, across the vast Navajo country to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Then down into Flagstaff and across Route 66 into New Mexico, and visits to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It was quite a trip for us, and we camped out all along the way. I remember the incredible vastness of the vistas, the almost otherwordly but compelling emptiness of the Navajo country, a sunrise stroll along the rim of the Grand Canyon, where the entire canyon was filled with clouds, looking like puffy white and pinkish cotton balls. The crisp mountain air and the pine trees around Flagstaff, lying in the tent outside Santa Fe and listening to the eerie howling of coyotes off in the distance.

I can certainly see the attraction of a southwestern forum as it was surely incredibly paintable. In fact I think I even tried to paint some of the scenes way back then, with eiter oils or acrylics - pretty rotten and amateurish paintings, LOL. I just don't want to lose any of my pastel friends to a new venue! And I love southwestern art, but know that I would probably be unlikely to get to the new forum very often, if at all. If I *did* have time for another WC channel or two I'd probably concentrate on the ones I was trying to work in, like Lanscape or Still Life - and as it is I never go to those anyway.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Hey Debbie, when in the Grand Canyon, did you feel you could touch those incredible stars? Everything is just so much brighter, amazing and seductive there. I definetly see the southwest site being a very popular site.
Diane