Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone TIP: Removing masking fluid from paintbrushes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Soapbird

My favorite cheap natural bristle paintbrush got all gunked up with masking fluid. Here’s how I cleaned it.

I glopped Vaseline on the brush, massaged it and let it set. Came back 30 minutes later. Not sure if you ‘have’ to wait, but I did. Mushed the bristles around and the latex started coming out. Kept at it until most all the dried masking fluid came out. Then I washed the brush two or three times with dishwashing liquid. And, then I gave it a couple washes with window cleaner to make sure I had removed all the greasiness.

My brush is clean and as good as new! YAY!!! :clap:

Ellen

Im really intrigued by what made you think of vaseline !!!!!! I know it softens skin……… but masking fluid !!! :)

All my pastel portraits HERE ....currently being updated! Website : www.JayteesArt.co.uk : also needing updating ! ...... and over in Facebook 'Self Portraits Studio' and just re-discovered this wonderful group here 'Self Portraits Join in the Fun'

Soapbird

I tried a whole lot of things before I decided to try Vaseline. Even though it was a cheap brush it was still my favorite. Then I had an ephipany.

On packages of latex items, latex gloves and condoms for example, there is a warning not to use oil based products with them because it deteriorates them. Seemed like it might work and it did.

My guess is any oil will do. There is an old saying… if it moves, use duct tape; if it won’t move use WD40. But, wanted something that would stay on the bristles/hairs, not invade the ferrule, and something petroleum based. I’m not sure, but I think petroleum products deteriorate latex faster than natural (or food type) oils.

hat a good tip.

I have used goo remover, you know the kind they sell to remover sticky labels, itis citrus based. It works like a charm too, just soak your brush or your masquepen nib in it over night, rinse and wash with dishwashing liquid. Wallah good as new..:D ;)

JJ
            Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
            MY BLOG
            My Youtube videos

Soapbird….. you should change your name to vaselinebird !! What brilliant lateral thinking!! Ad JJ….clever of you to come up with that one too !!!

I shall remember both now I have started using masking fluid again !!!

All my pastel portraits HERE ....currently being updated! Website : www.JayteesArt.co.uk : also needing updating ! ...... and over in Facebook 'Self Portraits Studio' and just re-discovered this wonderful group here 'Self Portraits Join in the Fun'

Neeman

What brilliant lateral thinking!! I shall remember both now I have started using masking fluid again !!!

So according to reverse lateral thinking..
                I can use Masking Fuild to repair puntures in old…..
                ……………..
                …………………..
                ……………….Gloves????

reisSUEd

It works! I’d used a cheap brush for my first try with the masking fluid and washed it quickly afterward, but even so there was a bit of gunk left on it. It didn’t bother me as it was a cheap brush, but since the scientist in me just had to try out the vaseline idea, I put a glob on the brush before I went to bed last night, and this morning, I worked it through and washed it all out. The last of the gunk is gone! Great tip Ellen!

NodakerDeb

Don’t know where I read to do this but I always wet my brush and roll it over a bar of soap ‘before’ I stick it in masking fluid. It makes cleaning it out afterwards a breeze. I have not noticed any problems with the masking fluid on the paper either.

Deb

Soapbird

I’ve read the soap thing too and I did soap my brush. But, I guess I didn’t soap the brush good enough and the masking stuck.

I’ve been doing art and painting in one form or another, on and off, since I was about 4 years old. However, I haven’t done the kind of watercolor painting I would like to do. Thanks to the members of WC, I have gleened a vast amount of knowledge from reading posts, demos, and lessons. Coming out of lurkdom and sharing this little tip/idea is my way of giving what little I can back in return.

Making handmade soap from scratch is another creative outlet of mine. Been making and selling soap for over 10 years. That’s where the name ‘soapbird’ came from. Some think soap making is only a craft, but art is also involved. Take a look here and you’ll see what I mean…
                            http://www.ellensessentials.com/gallery.htm

Thanks bunches!
                            Ellen

SpriteLight

Seems to me that such a great tip should be included in another thread in this forum “Cool stuff you’ve discovered and enjoy using”. Could someone (a moderator?) cross-post there so more folks can learn this?

Thanks for sharing this great tip, Soapbird

Neeman — teeheee!

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Julie

[FONT=Times New Roman]Render service • Find no fault

mmcaloon

Have an 35mm film container (with the snap cap) full of dish detergent by my masking fluid. Dip my brush in, work it in a little, and then wipe off the excess. Then use my masking fluid where ever. When done a quick wash under the faucet and its all gone. Still use cheap brushes just in case.

Mike ------- see my progress through the work that I share on my website

Newbie Help Posting Guidelines User Agreement Watercolor Handbook
                                    GIMP Article

apelleus

I found that the trick is to clean the brush as soon as possible before the masking fluid dries. Since vaseline doesn’t have any reaction with the masking fluid, waiting 30 minutes really doesn’t do anything but allow the fluid to get harder. I can clean brushes in mere minutes if I do it right away. It works every time.

Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
                                        briantmeyer

I soak it in dish soap, the ferrule is full of it, the frisket stays on the outside of the actual brush, preventing any possible issues, if it dries it comes right up since it’s not mixed into the hairs of the brush. I can do this even when painting plein air ( I keep a small jar of both frisket and soap ).

I keep some turpentine to deal with any that gets into the brush and hardens, recovered a destroyed brush that way which had frisket deep inside it. Acetone, anything really can be used much like you are using the vaseline. The vaseline is probably something easier to put into a little jar for use in the field though along with the jar of soap.

Still using the same brush, but the soap method preventing the problem to begin with is a lot wiser than figuring out ways to recover a brush.

Cedarita

Another product that does a good job of cleaning masking fluid from brushes is Murphy’s Oil Soap. I’ve also used it to recover brushes ruined by acrylic paints. Its what i use on any brush that needs a thorough cleaning.

Ive never used vaseline, but will try that to compare.

springbaby

i use a colour shaper to apply frisket. it doesn’t stick to it even if you let it dry. it just rolls off…colour shapers come in a variety of shapes and sizes including one with a sharp point which works well for power lines etc.
                                                    now i don’t have to worry about frisket on my brushes, ever…

Gail

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.