WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:14 PM
A Local Legend

Angry Paper on Pastels

I just tried to remove the paper on a Sennelier pastel stick and it literally exploded in my hand into a thousand crumbs. Why o'why do they have to put paper on those pastels - I think it's to raise our blood pressure! If you purchase a new set of pastel, you spend more time taking the paper off than you do painting! It's frustrating! Sennelier is especially bad! Mr. 'Good Guy', if you're on line, please take the paper off your new square pastels - you make a truly good pastel, but the paper has to go!

What can we, as a major 'pastel information source', do to convince the manufacturers to delete the paper sleeve - it will same them money and lower our blood pressure!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States
Re: Paper on Pastels

Ahhhh, another victim of Sennelier's exploding pastels! I remember it well! I doubt they'll take your suggestion to heart...being the ultra traditionalists that they are. I agree tho....if you're going to GLUE the wrappers on there and make it nigh impossible to get them off without ruinging the pastel, just skip the whole thing!

I ordered a bunch of Senneliers when I first started out with pastels, thinking they were the epitome of "good". After spending an afternoon destroying them in an effort to remove the wrappers, I made up my mind never to buy another Sennelier as long as I lived. I later relented enough to buy a set of half stick, but only because those come nekkid with no wrappers.

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Oh Sooz, you sound just like me. I still have some senneliers and I cringe whenever I have to peel knowing the darlings are going to crumble to bits. So glad I'm trading in for Great American Artworks. At least if they break, it's clean and no crumbled and wasted pastel. Senneliers always made me feel like money was flushing down the drain as the pastels crumbled away to dust. lol.
Bluefish, I urge you to trade in for another brand as you need to replace. It is not so frustrating and loosing a perfectly good stick.
Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
A Local Legend

I love satuated bright colors and that and only that reason is why I purchased them - BUT I'm getting sick and tired of them breaking into small pieces/dust! I just wish GA would make a set of 'pure pigment' colors! Sennelier pastels are fragile at best, but when they glue the sleeves on, it's almost impossible to utilize the stick you paid dearly for!

If they don't stop with the sleeves, they will have lost a good customer - I'll start buying 'sleeveless only'!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Blue, They do. Great American makes a color wheel set and 2 sizes of Assorted. Go to Cheap Joes and view the larger image of those sets. Best pics I've seen of what the sets have inside. Also, check out Art Spectrums. harder than senneliers but, I really like them and the colors are really vibrant.
Diane
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Pine Bush, NY-About 90 miles NW OF NYC

Hails from United States

Hello Blue.....Yep....I thought it was only me....I just had that same problem a few days ago....the paper sleeves on Senn. pastels drive me nuts and I aint...repeat aint gonna buy em no moe...he..he..he.

Diane....do you really like Art Spectrum Pastels??? they are so hard...I think they are even harder then Rembrandts....Glad I just got a small 15 stick set to play with....don't think I'm gonna buy anymore of these either.

I would do ANYTHING for a set of Great Americans however being I'm a poor boy I'll have to stick with my W/N and Alphacolor pastels....Art
PS...thanks for tip about Cheap Joes....I've never been there.

AJC DESIGN STUDIOS
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Artie, the sticks I bought of the Art Spectrums have been really fun, easy to work with, easy to blend and vivid. Love them. Maybe you got ahold of a set that was bad. I've had Rembrandts and find they are comparable in soft or hard and abit more vivid.
If you really want some Great Americans, go to Jerry's Artarama and get a few open stock sticks. They are the cheapest for the open stock that I found. Get your more used colors and pick up a few sticks.
I totally agree about Senneliers - aint gonna buy no mo.
Diane
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

Sorry to be the party pooper (I guess that's what one says there ?) but I really like the 80 half set of the Sennelier. I've never bought the whole sticks, but I guess that 2 halfs of the 80 set make bigger than a whole regular stick.
I also like Schminke alot. Those even come out of the sleeves by themselves when they brake, sometimes.

Regards,

José
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Jose
You are not a party pooper. I found the halves to be better. they are fatter and shorter so harder to crumble. But, if you want colors other than what's in the half sticks you get yanked.
I have heard Schminke is a great brand of pastels. Good colors and very creamy.
I've gotten some Great americans that were not whole but, it was a clean break. Not crumbled into peices. So, they are sturdier. I think Great americans are probably closer to Schmenke but, I haven't tried all the brands so what do I know??
Diane
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:25 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Course, I guess we could crush, dampen, & reform each Senn. we buy.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Kate, how true! Now if I could just figure out how to make a good refurbished pastel. It seems so complicated.
Diane
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Pine Bush, NY-About 90 miles NW OF NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Diane and Jose'....Yes Diane...I think I'll drive to Jerry's in Hartford soon and get some open stock of GA....its at least a 2.5 hour drive from here.
Jose'.....I never tried the Senn half stick sets....so I dont really know...getting the paper off of the full sticks is ridiculous...using no pressure at all...they just crumble and break.....I'm really dying to try GA.
I have two small sets of Schminke's.....half stick sets...they are incredible soft and beautiful....Albert Handell describes them as "Dust on a Butterflies Wings"...and they are. Dakota's website softness scale rates them as Number 1---the very softest you can get......Thanks...Art

AJC DESIGN STUDIOS
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon, USA

Hails from United States

A long time ago I bought the sennelier half stick set and most of them were useable but many of them were very rough and wouldn't spread color. Then I tried buying their whole set which I had found on ebay for $500 for all the colors and I though that was a great deal. They crumbled so bad though that I eventually sold what was left of that set and decided to never buy sennelier again, except their very dark greens.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Oh Shari - you reminded me of how I got my Senneliers. I got them on ebay. Half were dried out and all crumbled so bad. It was awful. My first set was from Jerry's - a small one. They were crumbly too. But, the ones from ebay were wrapped and never opened. But, dried out....
Diane
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
east coast

Hails from United States

ok i just looked up the cheap joes site for the pics of GA's- first of all, jerrys artarama has the same 78 pc sets for 174.99 ( joe's is 193.99)
second, i'm not sure about the north american landscape set- it looks a little bright....I'm looking for the 78 pc ANIMAL set- saw it once in an art mag ad, can't find the mag now, and haven't heard or seen anymore about it since...

Anyone????