WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Whittier, North Carolina

Hails from United States
Propane torch????????

Okay, I have a strange question. This may not be the right place to ask it and through all my searching on this site I have not found a similar question so I am gonna go ahead and show my ignorance. LOL.

My husband bought me the beginners kit with the flameworks torch for Christmas. The torch took forever, I mean forever, to make a bead. So today just out of curiosity, I pulled out my plumbing torch I use for souldering copper. This is just the cheapie you get at Lowes. Anyway, I hooked it up and just made the best bead so far and in half the time. So my question is....Is it alright to use a straight propane torch and what if any are the downfalls? Any help would be great. Thanks,

Julie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Kelowna, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Propane torch????????

Hi Julie,

Yes, we tried that too. The beads got very sooty from the type of flame that the plumber's torch makes. My hothead has a bunch of air inlet holes that helps aleviate(sp?) that problem.

Have fun,
Julia
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
SoCal coast

Hails from United States

I think that the Flameworks torch may be like the Quiet torch (you can light it by pushing a button?). The Quiet torch was a waste. Then I bought a Hot Head, and was very happy with it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Hawaii

Hails from United States

I did my research on torches before getting my first kit to just start off with. I went with a hothead torch rather than the flameworks or Quiet torch and happy I did. It works out fine for me for now.
Aloha,
Sally
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:18 AM
New Mexico

Hails from Canada

Yes!! I started bead making a couple of years ago with the FireWorks kit and pretty soon the torch got clogged and I did a botch job of cleaning it out, so I tried the propane torch I had gotten at WalMart for $12 (that's for torch head AND first little tank of propane!!). It is still my only torch and, even though it's me saying it, I make pretty fine beads. Oh, there are certain things that I can't do with it... I don't think it is possible with my torch, so I haven't really tried to do those beautiful reduction glasses to. (But if anyone can tell me how to do that with a propane torch I'll be forever grateful!) My first beads were sooty and I had some trouble with my turqoises reducing, but I've learned how to avoid all that. Clear casing isn't a problem, either. I've never tried any other torching setup so I don't know what I'm missing, but I just wanted to put in my vote for the cheap propane torch! It is seriously underrated or overlooked, in my opinion.

LisaR in NM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talimah
. So my question is....Is it alright to use a straight propane torch and what if any are the downfalls? Any help would be great.

Hi Julie,

A friend of mine makes beads on a hothead torch using only propane - lovely beads, no soot or any problems with them cracking (she anneals them in a kiln). She had to adjust to the "cooler" flame of propane so there wan't any soot but other than that, there's no problem using the propane.

Cindy