WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northeast USA

Hails from United States
Re: Where The Day Takes you (WIP)... tiny Update!

Judy, I have to echo Wanda. I always learn real things from your posts--you are so informative.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

I'm echoing that sentiment too...

Meisie
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States

I brought my baskets to keep all the goodies in. Where is my notepad? (In my purse basket of course.) The lessons learned are keeping me busy. Thank you. It is just beautiful to watch a good piece develop.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

As soon as I saw the arch, the sky and the clouds, again I thought of Magritte's mystery...! This is beautiful, Judy, the whole concept, colour and format!

Thank you for posting this WIP. I agree, your descriptions are always full of information and your work truly inspiring.

I don't see you as Speedy Gonzales, if you did all that in less than 3 days??? Will follow it up for sure.

I just had some Lindt chocolates with a soft centre... Sorry guys I have been an "oink" and have none left to pass around!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Hi guys (well gals, you know)
I am still reading, believe me I wish I was drawing... my red pencil is getting a different sort of work ot this weekend...

Raquel: Hey! Great to see you too! I am that slow, really! The first 2 full images of the beginning stages of this piece ( and the first close up) were actually done over a span of 2 weeks or so... I just didn't post them because other stuff (life) was in the way. The "tiny" update took about another 2 full days to reach that point and it was sitting here waiting to be scanned It may have appeared that I did all this in 3 days (ha! I wish!) , sorry for being a bit deceptive there, but oh nooooooo I am not speedy! Believe me...it's been said of me that I'm so slow, even evolution has passed me by! LOL I just didn't have enough to post to keep you all happy... or in chocolates!
`
` ` ` `
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:41 PM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States

Judy, My oldest daughter is moving into your hemisphere in March. Going to Copenhagen! I hope she is going to enjoy it. She has two babies. One is 5 months and the other 2 years. Major move from North Carolina.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States

Wow Marilyn. That far? How are you holding up. But on the bright side do you get to go for visits?
Ummmm don't take this as pushy Judy.....but any progress? Even a little. I am still thinking about that sky underpainting. I have a ref of a sleeping tiger and think I might try your sky colors. Wanda
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Marilyn, I've never been to Denmark (yet), but I hear it's lovely and the cities are very clean, good health care...... oh, and lots of bicylces, just the same as in Holland. Bicycles everywhere. I bet she'll love it even though yes, it's a big move... boy, do I know that! I hope too that you'll be able to visit her.

Wanda, ... hmmmmmmm, I've just spent about another 12 hours (weekend and today..well yesterday now) working on this. My eyes are tired LOL I'll post another "tiny" update tomorrow, sometime. It's 3 am here, time to turn off my sharpener !

g'night/g'day
`
` ` ` `
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Here's another tiny update.

Decided to redo the bottom part of the sky, so I took it out... was a bit of a pain to do around the little cherry, but I had to. This area is still not completed, however, as you can see by the overly white areas in it.

And time for that good ole look at the greyscale .. not bad, but needs more changes through the values overall... especially in the inner portion of the arch, hmmm, I think and in those little stamen thingies on the lower flower petal (not as screaming yellow as in the color scan, but hey, that's scanning for ya!) Ackk, that tile floor looks like crap right now... *sigh*, but it's not supposed to be a real floor so ...oh, I don't know.

And I'll probably redo the little top curvy bit in the top part of the cloud on the right, because it now looks like a crooked finger to me...haha! awful! That's probably destined to go! lol

`
` ` ` `
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 AM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Where The Day Takes you (WIP) Tiny Update - 3 !

I love all the colors you have going on in the stem and the shadow of the cherry. I don't know why you changed the sky but I trust your judgement. Thanks for the update! Wanda
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet
I love all the colors you have going on in the stem and the shadow of the cherry. I don't know why you changed the sky but I trust your judgement. Thanks for the update! Wanda
I wanted more of a lighter gradation coming up from the bottom than what was previously there. There is a method to my madness, sometimes.
`
` ` ` `
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Are you after realism on this Judy? Well, at least the flower is...

I am asking because of the tiles. When you look at the windowsill place, the windowsill is not there, what indicates we are looking from well below. But the tiles have none of the exaggerated perspective needed to agree with the window. Unless you want the incongruence?

And I thought I was hard on myself girl...! What was the word for it? Mmmmmm... Perfectionist, right?

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States

More surrealism? At least that is how I read it. Am I way off? Wanda
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

SO imaginative! I really envy you your ability to "see" what's not there. And THEN be able to convey it so perfectly!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida
Are you after realism on this Judy? Well, at least the flower is...

I am asking because of the tiles. When you look at the windowsill place, the windowsill is not there, what indicates we are looking from well below. But the tiles have none of the exaggerated perspective needed to agree with the window. Unless you want the incongruence?

And I thought I was hard on myself girl...! What was the word for it? Mmmmmm... Perfectionist, right?
Hi again Raquel! Yes I am a bit of a perfectionist, but only in my art - not in my studio, it's a mess! a huge mess! LOL!!

Regarding your question on the perspective of the tiles versus the realism of the flower: Yes, I can see where it looks incongruous and well, that's is sort of my intent. A year ago I visited the Escher Museum here, down in The Hague (btw,I recommend it to anyone who loves Escher), and I found myself intrigued by the unreal perspectives in most of his work. In one piece you could have the feeling of walking up in one area and then falling down in another... so that creation of confusion sort of hit a chord of interest for me.

I am not really interested in every element being realistic in this piece (i.e. the flower is realistic, sort of, but the sky certainly is not). What I'm hoping to create is a feeling almost of vertigo by playing with different viewing angles or perspectives in the same scene.

My thinking when starting the idea for this was that I wanted the flower (which looks otherworldly to me) to be almost hyper-real, while the background (arch/tiles/sky/cherry) would be more of a fantasy or say more medieval in its perspective. The flower is supposed to be way upfront on the first plane, then you go through the flower plane to the window sill and out with the little cherry (which is also not detailed or very realistic) to the sky plane.

Besides Escher, I have also been looking at a lot of unknown medieval painters (well not really unknown, just not well known) and for some reason, their flattened perspective juxtaposed with almost realistic interpretations of a main subject has also always delighted my eye and my mind.

Hope that gives you some idea of what I'm thinking about and where I hope to take this piece, "hope" being the "operative" word here!

Thanks for your question Raquel, it made me think deeper how to put what I feel in words, rather than pencil marks! (painful as that is at times)

Thanks Robin and Wanda for checking back in.

Hmm, seems all the refreshments have gone? better phone in a pizza!

`
` ` ` `

Last edited by pinkrybns : 01-10-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typos...