WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
Re: Palm Box Kit...for car and inconspicuous painting!

Regarding painting in the car. I have found that sitting in the back seat or passenger seat is much less cramped for me.
Love,
Linda
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2005, 06:34 PM
A Local Legend
Southern New England

Hails from United States

I WANTone of those!!! I just showed Bill the pictures and he says he can build me one no problem!! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY

Marc...just how big are those GIANT Canada Geese
Love the painting BTW !!

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
A Local Legend
Taylors Falls, Minnesota

Hails from United States

Thanks Ben. This one's light enough to hold easily. Yeah...bird painter again!

Tom- Thanks, get out the screw driver. It's not too hard to make.

I agree Linda. I use the passenger front seat too.

Jan- These geese (though the flocks are mixed) are the largest subspecies once thought to be extinct until a biologist who's last name was 'Hanson' re-discovered them right here in Rochester in 1962. They had survived on Silver Lake in the middle of town. It stays ice free due to a power plant that warms the water all winter long. So this population didn't migrate, thus they didn't get hunted to the south. Now they're all over the country but the 'giants' that exist now originated from this flock and probably a few other isolated flocks elsewhere. About 2 ft long, 50-68" wingspan, and about 8 to 10lbs... Giant Canada Goode (b. Canadensis).
Thanks.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast
the Deep South

Hails from United States

what a cute little painting box! And I want one of those turp containers, never seen one like that before.
Beautiful tiny painting of the Canada geese. I'm so glad some of them still live up north. They are getting to be a problem around here- they come down south and stay- never migrate anymore. Like domestic geese, they are kinda mean and resent it if you are in their territory. But there is something romantic about seeing them fly overhead in that V shape in the morning and evening.

My blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2005, 10:47 PM
A Local Legend
Southern New England

Hails from United States

Wow that is so cool about the geese, and kind of ironic that a power plant is responsible for their preservation!! That's a big wingspan....we have a about 4 resident geese at our neighborhood pond, they have goslings every year, and boy are they cute!!! In the fall we get others that pass through and plenty of others at all the best watering holes, lots of them come through banded with yellow collars. I love they way they sound when they fly over head and honk!!

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Holland

Hails from Netherlands

Great work Marc!!

I was thinking, is it what to take a walking-stick with you?
a walking-stick that could be attached to you palm box.
Maybe retractable (?) and also strong enough to push it somewhat
into the ground so that the palm box could stand by it's self?

Marvelous painting by the way.

I think i gonna take a look if i got some wood left.
C&C Always welcome.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 AM
A Local Legend
Taylors Falls, Minnesota

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock
Great work Marc!!

I was thinking, is it what to take a walking-stick with you?
a walking-stick that could be attached to you palm box.
Maybe retractable (?) and also strong enough to push it somewhat
into the ground so that the palm box could stand by it's self?

Marvelous painting by the way.

I think i gonna take a look if i got some wood left.
Like this? I made this box a number of years back, a 6"x9", with a T-nut imbedded in the bottom. Then I attach this collapsable mono-pod to it. The box itself is too heavy to hold for long without the support, and is why I built this most recent version. One of the cool things about this one is the 'pull out' palette and a little storage underneath for paints. Can you see why I say I have way too much painting equipment already?
Thanks woodstock.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM
A Local Legend
Taylors Falls, Minnesota

Hails from United States

Thanks Anne.

The geese are down in numbers now because there were just too many staying around. The powerplant isn't at full production and is allowing some of the lake to freeze. In the 80's we had numbers all winter as high as 50,000+ birds but there isn't anywhere near that number now. I think they live where you are! They are a nuisance, poop everywhere you walk in the city's largest park, but a beautiful sight otherwise. In the summer there are broods all over the lake and we see them all grow through the 'ugly gosling' stage until they are flying.

One local citizen has become pretty well known for his "Goose Poop Art" , which I think I've mentioned before. He 'harvests' goose poop, dries it out and glues it down on card stock in various 'artistic' images. He's been featured on TV, in newspapers, magazines, and is in gift shops all over!!! Go figure...

Wouldn't you think painters who use normal paint would also get that coverage? NO.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 12:27 PM
San Diego

Hails from United States

Marc,

Great Box. I also love the turps container. As soon as I saw it in your setup I surfed the net trying to find a vendor--but no luck. If you can point me to a source I would love it!

The "Goose Art Guy" reminds me of the Japanese city of Nara, where the deer are sacred, and so is their "by product." They sell a deer poop good luck charm, among other things.

Emilie

PS--I am also a great admirer of your artwork.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Santa Cruz, California

Hails from United States

I wish I had such talent with wood (or any for that matter). Happy painting Marc!

http://www.seanmcmills.com
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 PM
North Western, OH

Hails from United States

Awesome Palm Box Marc!!! Thanks for sharing, I have a couple of questions though. First, could you maybe draw a quick sketch to show your spring clamp panel holder. Secondly, What sizes of paint brushes do you use when working small. I always have a problem with wanting to get a few hints of details like the geese or the yellow spots of color in your painting, but it doesn't turn out the way I planned it to be and ends looking blotchy smudges. It may be because I need to practice more but any hints you could give would be greatly apreciated. Love the painting also!!

I love small 6x8(or 8x10) pochades, a big fan of Scott Christensen's oil studies!! By the way he has a new plein air dvd coming out soon, have already ordered mine.

Thanks,
Jeff H.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 06:43 PM
A Local Legend
Taylors Falls, Minnesota

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio
Marc,

Great Box. I also love the turps container. As soon as I saw it in your setup I surfed the net trying to find a vendor--but no luck. If you can point me to a source I would love it!

The "Goose Art Guy" reminds me of the Japanese city of Nara, where the deer are sacred, and so is their "by product." They sell a deer poop good luck charm, among other things.

Emilie

PS--I am also a great admirer of your artwork.
Thanks Emilie. Here's a link for you. If it comes up on the opeing page look under 'brush washers' in the accessories menu for the specific page.
http://www.holbeinhk.com/
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Snow Camp, NC

Hails from United States

Beautiful box Marc!
I have a pochade box made from a cigar box that I bought from wetcanvaser Lorelou(Lorretta Louviere) about a year ago. I love it for traveling! That little box has been all over the east coast and to the Bahamas. Yours here looks great too. I wish I could make things with wood, but alas that is not one of my talents.

Justin
"Comments and critiques always welcome!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
A Local Legend
Taylors Falls, Minnesota

Hails from United States

EDIT- For some reason I cannot get any image to upload, either in line or as an attachment. So I'll try again later.

Several people have asked about my spring mechanism for the panel holder on this box. I'm posting a rough sketch of one half (two needed) of the holder inside the lid.

You have to search the springs at the hardware store for the right one, right tension, right diameter, right number of coils. That all depends on how far you need the spring to travel in order to hold the panel.
I first used two springs but that didn't work in terms of putting the panel in. It's better to have one fixed arm, and the other spring loaded. If you want to hold both a 6x8 and a 8x6 panel then you will need to come up with a way to block one holder at the narrower width. A wing nut and small bolt wouldn't be the worse idea. I have the brass rod because I first had it spring loaded, then removed the spring and now use a piece of width appropriate wood to place in the slot and block it.

All of the hardware is available at hardware stores like ACE, or even the big box stores.

Jeff, the question about brushes...I use the same size as any other time. I do carry a #4 or #6 round for little 'dots' of color, like the geese. I do saw the handles down for cramped painting positions like you get in the car.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Hi Marc,

Nice 6x8 box and painting. I noticed you put a middle gray color under your glass pallet. I just read recently that it really helps when you're trying to establish values. Do you find it helps?

Don