WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble Nov 14 Thru 20

Hello all! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread, where we discuss our families, kids, jobs, and pets!

And from me, welcome to changable Ohio! Warm one day, cold the next. You'd think that after living my whole 53 years here, I'd be used to it!
Got lots to do. Along with my usual chaos, I want things to be special for Kat's visit this Thursday! Let's see, we want to paint, so I have some rearranging to do. My studio is very small. This is going to be such fun!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble Nov 14 Thru 20

Have a blast with Kat, Kate! Remember, photos--we want photos!

I'm in the throes of putting on an art show for my 16 advanced students. We rented a space, and plan a Friday night and Saturday showing. We've invited hundreds of people, and now all we have to do is hang it! "All" sounds so easy, but it's a huge task. You should see all the e-mails flying back and forth! We hang on Thursday morning, then let the dust settle until Friday evening. That should accomodate any glitches along the way. I hope this is a roaring success for my gals!! I'll keep you posted.

Have a great week...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Morning all!

This weekend was completely full with dog training and painting. Saturday, we had one of the trainers form Bark Busters come to our house to work with Abner. Well, let me tell you - she was a miracle worker. We now have a new dog and the tools to keep training him on our own and get results. It is incredible. It seemed a bit pricey when we first looked into it, but the training is guaranteed for the life of the dog and the cost is about the same as taking the two courses through the local SPCA. We don't think Abner would have done well in a class environment because he likes to socialize and play too much. This way, he only had us people to concern himself with and he is such a smart cookie - he picked everything right up!

Anyway - beyond that - life is uneventful. My birthday is on friday. The big 2-9. One more year to thirty. This weekend will be really full, though. I am hosting the WDE (a birthday art party for me) and including a VPON component too. This WDE will be different from almost any other that has ever been held (likely). I hope some of you guys will come out for it too

Oh and the fourth Harry Potter movie comes out Friday too (Happy birthday to me) so Cam is taking me out for all you can eat shrimp at Red Lobster and then we are going to the movie. I can hardly wait!

Anyway - back to work with me. I hope everyone has a great week.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Cori, Sounds like a great B.Day weekend! Heres to the new Abner, long may he reign!
Seriously, sometimes only a pro will do. Or at least someone who does not get frustrated easily. Most dogs are eager to please, once they understand what is wanted. That is the hard part, learning to speak dog.

Dee, there will be pictures! John is bringing his camera. I hope the show goes well. Especially the work part!!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

That was the obstacle we were running into. He is bassett lab - excited and stubborn...lol. But he's doing well. I am glad we went with the pro - or we could have been fighting his jumping up for years.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

woke up with head/chest congestion after almost a week with the g/kidz.... why, why, why do i always come home with a cold or something along with my 52 crayon pictures: To Nonnny i luv u.......... even the 22 month old got in on it this time...... does a nonny's heart proud!! took the 5 yr old with me to the Artarama Show Friday.... her mom had given her $4 to spend and it was burning a hole in her pocket.... she behaved like a big girl; did demonstrations anywhere they let her; drawing, painting, giving opinions on stuff..... finally picked out w/c pencils she wanted and a 'painting' pad..... PERSONALLY, i was disappointed in the show.... couldnt find anybody i liked from last year... no loose pastels like last year (and i had a list!), no realllly good deal on pads of paper..... no ArtSpectrum, no ArtPro(got some wonderful loose DARK pastels last year)..... no Sennelier single pastels.... so i indulged in an electric pencil sharpener from Xacto.... GOTTA be good.... the insert sez (when i got it home): chalks and oils may clog the blades, do not use in this machine....... hellllooooooooo....... got out ALL my pastel pencils, w/c, c/p, drawing pencils, PENCIL pencils, and GD and i had a ball sharpening everything!!! i want to announce this because i was very upset: the show is about 2 blox from the store in Raleigh.... the bags you got your stuff in had a coupon on it: take this to the store within 10 days of the show for a 10% discount on purchases!!!.......... i KNOW they have loose pastels there.... so made a special trip on Sunday, on my way home from my kidz...... "WHAT DISCOUNT??".... showed him the bag... WOULD NOT HONOR IT!!!!! Unisom pastel guy PROMISED they would and that he had sent several people over there for that reason.... "NO, there are no discounts on loose ones for the show"..... i could have sworn it was in the Show Catalog.... but cant find all the pieces i had cut out (getting all wound up AGAIN!!).... when i came home, i stopped at Angelcat's house up the street and vented to her!!! if this constitutes a 'boycott', so be it.... i for one will not go back.... be interested to hear if Kyle went and her reactions.... probably had a wonderful time cause she's a nicer person than i am....... arggggghhhhhhhhhh...... thanx for letting me vent.... i just dont think that is RIGHT... they didnt honor it last year either, but i thought it was just the goofy kid at the ckout and the manager was out to lunch..... (this year, i felt they were ALL "out to lunch" and the ATTITUDE was atrocious!!!) ... nope, dont feel better.... my throat hurts..... joined Cori's Vpon.... gotta go figure out how to get in there...... thanx again .... spent some quiet time with a Misty Nawlins Mornin'..................... Kordelia
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

thanx for letting me vent.... you dont have to read it... pass it by.... i just needed to get it out....

Cori... glad about the dog... another reason i'm a cat person!! You are so wise to have invested that money tho.... always hear good reports about that, even tho it does give one pause.... .... was told i dont NEED a cam for the vpon... just as well, since you have him all tied up anyway..... back to the instructions... need messenger....

Dee... how exciting!!! wish fervently i were one of the 16!!!! promise you will take pix....

Kate... i missed something... Kat who? our Kyle??? visiting??? gonna ck last week's post.... yes... pictures galore!!

thanx again, please forgive if i missed anything....... i don feel so good.....
(uh oh... now the sneezes..... ) i'm leaving before you guys catch it....... Kory
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

lol - you are such a whilrlwind, Kory! I love reading your rants!

Nope - you don't need a webcam to VPON. I just wrote you a really long response at the yahoo group to give you the rundown on how it all works....

lol about Cam - I don't tie him up! He behaves quite nicely! lol
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Kat & Kate! Sounds like grand fun....wish I could be there so pix will have to give us all some vicarious fun!

I'm glad your training session went well Cori. I know it can make all the difference in the world.

You can always vent here Kordelia! I hope you feel better soon...take care of the cold or whatever it is.

I feel like I have been away for ages...I haven't painted for a while either. The house looks great. The open house went well. There were lots of people and some have come back...but no offers yet. Of course Thanksgiving is creeping up and we knew it was not a good time to start this process...but I am glad we have the hard cleaning part done and we are on the road. I am trying to prepare myself for the long haul....boy, I hope it doesn't take too long though. WE have seen some really nice condos where we both feel we could be very comfortable...I would get a nice painting spot and hubby would have anice place for his hobbies. All reasonably priced and we don't need to deal with snow or lawns or anything. And some are in gorgeous locations...wonderful views from the inside. But....we won't do anything until this sells, unless there is a super flexible contingency clause.

Otherwise not much else going on...I have my next CAT scan this Thursday and am assuming things will look okay..I probably won't know for a bit though since the doctor is away for a bit. I don't go see him till the week after Thanksgiving. He said someone will call me but I won't be surprised if no one does. But I'm feeling fine; no coughing, so don't expect any problems...keep your fingers crossed.

I am going to go check out what you all have been working on...one of these days I will get to sit down and paint.

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Molalla, oregon

Hails from United States

Hi! It's me from Washington and I am so excited because PeggyB and I are meeting tommorrow at Dakota Art Store in Mt Vernon! This has not been easy!

I have packed up my stuff for the long ride to Florida.

I am hoping to continue with my pastels and encourage my Mom (who just lost her husband of 47 years) to go for it with her acrylic painting. Husband will be gone alot with work so I am looking forward to the time with her.

Both akitas are very concerned about my packing up my studio stuff

but I keep telling them they are going so I hope they understand. I was amazed at how little space in the pickup truck all my stuff took-maybe I am not taking enough!

We are leaving November 24 and hope to be set up in our rented house 11 days later. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Cori, no wonder you're do vital and full of energy. My gosh 29 is a life time ago. a BIG HAPPPY HAPPY BD!!!!!!! Lots of (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))) coming as well.
Molly, LOL just where are the clothes cases? I see a whole art studio there, however. I'm sorry you and your mom are going through this loss just now, but how grand that you can be with her.
Sandy, so glad to hear the coughis gone, so keeping fingers and toes crossed with you that the CAT will be clean, clean, clean.
Dee, have the best of shows for your students; how exciting for everyone. Please take lots of pics to share with us.
Kori, boycotting and ranting seem like the sensible thing to do when a store hasn't kept a bargain! Get over your cold too.
I was going to get a lot of work done today and instead played with photos, layouts for works and the computer all day. Not a waste, but not a best use of my time.
I enjoyed two all day workshops in watercolor this past weekend. The instructor is so experienced and is a wonderful teacher as well as a great artist. I've worked in W/C many years ago, but painted damp into dry. This class was all about wet into wet, very wet. I'm about to be elected to our Association board of directors. We are having a clothsline fundraising show this December. Clothsline will be stretched all over the gallery and unmatted, unframed originals will be clothspinned on with a maxium price of $50 and a maximum size of 16x20. Because they would be smudgable pastels and charcoals won't be accepted. I've been doing some 5x7s in clayboard etchings, but folk keep wanting to urchase them now. So mayhaps I'll just sell them and donate dollars to the treasurery. I have mixed feelings abut this show as I think it's a disrespectful way to display art work, and I don't much care for the fire sale prices. On the other hand, it gives exposure, gives the public a chance at original art at bargain prices and hopefully adds to our coffers. Still the 5x7s take about 10 to 14 hours to complete and to sell them for $3 or less per hour doesn't feel right. Doing less than my best doesn't feel right either.
Ah well,
I've a lot in the fire both in my art life, personal life, and my life as a therapist--should keep me out of mischief.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

full of energy? Nah - it I'm not busy I'm bored I'd rather be busy.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Molalla, oregon

Hails from United States

Aah Cori! I remember that way of feeling! Enjoy it and keep it, I loved it when I had it, now I have to parcel my energy for things I need to do and want to do. But I am all of almost 52 after all.

Az, do I need clothes in Florida? I was hoping to spend my time in shorts and a swimsuit, although I did pack my painting aprons. The art stuff went in the truck first you will notice-I wanted to make sure there was enough space! I can cut back on clothes! LOL!

I talked a neighbor into giving me a mini lesson in wet on wet watercolor. What fun! I must do more! I am taking wc and pastels to Florida with me!

Kat and Kate have fun and looking forward to pics. Hope the weather is reasonable for you!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2005, 12:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Kate, Kat I know you'll have a great time together, and I too vote for lots of pictures.

Deborah your students are very fortunate to have you as a mentor. Please take pictures to share with us here at WC.

Cori - Boy do I understand the "gotta train the puppy" routine! Fortunately for our Sonny, both Bob and I have been through obedience classes with previous dogs. So far he is doing very well with "home schooling", but we plan on "public school" after the first of the year so he will learn he has to behave no matter where we take him or "who" is around that he'd rather play with. His sister Libby is a delight to take anywhere. She even knows hand signals for all commands so I don't have to shout when we go to a dog park. I have a particular whistle she knows to look for me when she hears it, and then she does whatever my hand tells her to do. It takes time and patience, but is well worth the effort.

Oh yah - Happy B'Day Cori. 29 what a long time ago that was! You are younger than my three kids! Bet you never thought you'd be hanging out with a bunch of older (never old) women on the internet... LOL So many of us are grandmothers!

Kordelia - no apology needed. I'd rant too if I'd been to that so called Artarama. Who was the sponsor? Jerry's? I'll boycott them too..... not that I suffer too much by doing so since Dakota is just up the road from me. Take care of yourself Nonny - at least you weren't exposed to the chicken pox as a friend of mine was with her grandson!

Sandy I have my fingers crossed for you that the house sells soon. Can't say I blame you for wanting to get out of snow and cold. I may complain about the rain and cold of the NorthWET, but still prefer it to snow and cold that I grew up with in NW North Dakota and later Wyoming and southern Ohio.

TJ I'm happy for you that your life is filled with interesting activities, and is keeping you busy. That is so much better than not feeling well and wondering when you can be active again. My mom says getting old isn't for sissies, and I tend to agree! LOL

Molly and I will have a wonderful time exploring Mt Vernon and Dakota Pastel Art. I've made a long list of pastels I want to look for, and some color patches to match since I don't know exactly who's pastels they are! Some people have marvelous systems to keep track of their pastels, but I just can't be that organized.

This week is a better one for me. My daughter-in-law and son are healing their grief by keeping busy with the two lovely children they have. Lilia is healing physically very quickly, but the drastic change in hormones have her up one moment and down the next. We all realize what is causing it, but that doesn't make it any easier for her. Here's pictures of my two grandchildren:

Wouldn't you know Zoe has her Nana and Mom's straight hair, and Bruce got Grandpa and Daddy's wavy hair and long curling eyelashes!

Molly and I willl send a report on our day together - well I shouldn't make promises for Molly so I will do it if she can't.

Peggy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2005, 12:28 AM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Old? You guys aren't old. I don't even consider my grandmother at 70 to be old! I have friends here in Calgary (former coworkers etc) that are approaching 60 and I still enjoy going out for coffee with them and visiting. My great aunt was a bridemaid in my wedding at 75 years old! Talk old when you're in your 80s or 90s I'm just Cori - your online friend