WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Inspirational Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 12:19 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Question about Writing on canvas

I cannot write with a brush...I will never get the letters even...Is there a trick? I have a small painting and I want to write something but I am unsure how to do that. I would appreciate any suggestions..thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
East Midlands, England, UK.

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Question about Writing on canvas

Transfer letters or get someone else to do it There's nothing quite like having a calligrapher for a friend! Sorry, not much help am I lol.

Could you get hold of an overhead projector? That way you could get your letters even to start with
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

you already have the painting done and now want to add these letters? Its tough when not planned out from the beginning...plus, you didn't say what medium you are using...acrylics, watercolor...etc;

Acrylics are very forgiving...you can paint them on...and touch up the edges and work it till you finally get it right.

Larry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Sorry, Larry, yes acrylic and there is space for it, I just don't feel confident enough to do it with a brush....however, I do have a calligraphy pen. Ink might be the answer...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

with acrylics you can use pigment that matches background and paint up to letters to trim, much like an eraser...but if you don't have confidence there's not much of anything I can recommend accept to have someone of confidence do it for you...
sorry...but, confidence comes by trying and becoming an overcomer. Remember..."I can do ALL THINGS THRU CHRIST who strengthens me...."

Larry
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

If you have a few words, write the words you need on a piece of paper. Then use transfer paper so you have a guide to paint over. Or if you have a lot of words print out the words on your computer and use the transfer paper.

(edit added)

Use the transfers as a guide to paint over.

Last edited by Jangogh : 11-02-2005 at 10:54 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

by the way...didn't mean my comments to sound crass...simply wanting to encourage you to give it a go.

I have one solution. If you spray several coats of a finishing acrylic spray varnish...then where you want the letters, you can apply an acrylic matte medium with brush. You can then paint the letters in and try to trim and fix. If in the end you DO NOT LIKE IT..you can take a soft throw away rag like an old t-shirt, some water and rub the effort off your painting without disturbing the painting beneath. The paint will come off down to the varnished layer.

On the other hand, if you do like the lettering effort...you can when finished spray the whole of the painting again with the varnish, and that new layer will get fixed and part of the permanent painting.

Larry
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 02:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from Bahamas

I do a lot of collage and mixed media with acrylics and I write all over my canvas. lol. I use permanent markers ( of various colors) then spray with matt varnish or gel medium. If you are free handing and not using the suggestions above, do practice first on something else then LIGHTLY write it out with pencil first.

Cheers

Li

"Success won't spoil me; I've been insufferable for years!" fran lebowitz
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2006, 04:45 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I sign my name with written style, I use a watercolour rigger brush (long and skinny) just for this purpose, and for any other long lines. I find if I use thinned paint(using a flow medium, not plain water)and this brush it helps to keep control as you don't run out of paint halfway thru a letter; other than that, I suggest trying to write in capital letters, and use Larry's suggestion of the varnish, in fact I'll try to remember that for future.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Do a search on ebay or something for Ken Brown Lettering Brushes, made by Folk Art/Plaid. Ken Brown has actually done videos and such on lettering with acrylic paints. I have a very shaky writing hand, but resting my pinky on the surface and using these brushes has really helped, and they are intended for use with acrylics.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Auvillar, France

Hails from France

Aggie, I sometimes use paint pens - the kind you would use for craft projects, for sale at any craft supply store. In fact, I usually use paint pens to sign my name on acrylics - because I like the signature to be tiny and there is no way I could get that small with a brush. The down side of using paint pens is you cannot mix colors, and any varnish you might apply afterwards makes them smear - but if the letters are tiny, you can be exact -just like you could with ink - yet it's still 'paint' afterall. Hope this helps. d.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States

I would suggest that you use your own hand writing because no one can write like you. its distinct its unique and most of all its another expression of you. be proud of your own capabilities because believe me, your writing is something only you can do. that goes with anybody. just like your art, people can look at your writing and say "hey I know who wrote that, I can tell that writing anywhere!!!"
so go ahead, EXPRESS YOURSELF!!!

YOUR GIFT WILL NOT JUST MAKE ROOM FOR YOU BEFORE GREAT MEN, BUT IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!!

SHALOME

Last edited by moscous : 02-23-2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Westchester, IL, USA

Hails from United States

Last edited by Paul J.S., FCM : 03-29-2006 at 04:17 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Westchester, IL, USA

Hails from United States

I have done this before and second two of the suggestions made above. Get a sheet of translucent tracing paper and work out your lettering on that. Then cover the back of the sheet with graphite or charcoal and transfer the lettering to your painting. Then paint in the lettering using your own brushes and paint. Since this is acrylic, there is no need to rub out errors, simply paint over them.
You can use this transfer method for other things than lettering.
If you had said you felt you had some facility with calligraphy, I would suggest using a square tipped, not filbert, bristle brush or a Chinese 'idea' brush, depending on the style and hand you have chosen.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Seattle

Sometimes what works for me is to sketch the letters as objects and then color them in with a small brush. Sketch them as 'hollow' and then fill in the polygons, just as you would any other object. If the canvas is really small, you might need a magnifying lamp/viewer, though.