WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Immortalized
Oklahoma, the land of flying roofs

Hails from United States
Airbrushing sculptures

Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you talented airbrushers ever airbrush sculptures or, do you know of a few tutorials that I can see the steps for doing this?

Thanks bunches.

My Blog .. My darker art Blog .. Etsy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Beijing, China

Hails from United States
Re: Airbrushing sculptures

I have help airbrush some works before the question is what is the material that you are airbrushing on? There are many here that will be willing to help I am sure but the keys to know is what surface you are airbrushing on and where the sculpture will be displayed for example outside in the wether or inside protected from it.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 07:02 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

I've done various size ceramics with the airbrush. I don't know of any tutorials but you may wish to search out ceramics or movies. Most costumes, masks, props and what not are all airbrushed for the movies.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

The two surfaces I would like to try airbrushing are Hydrostone (gypsum cement) and Garage kits, which are mostly a vinyl.

Thanks.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

As far as painting a sculpture it's all the same a 3D surface. Watch your overspray and if need be liquid mask works the best. As far as vinyl let me suggest AutoAir for your paint. It will also work for others like cement as well. For ceramics I'm using what acyrlic I have on hand which is Golden but any acrylic will do.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Istanbul-Turkey

Hails from Turkey

Dear Tamara,

You will probably remember me from the sculpture forum where I posted my King Tut mask and my pot for the artist brushes. I had painted the ceramic pot with oil colors using brush but the acrylic varnish as the top coat was applied by a spray gun. I was thinking on starting a thread about painting sculptures and my special method invented for molding, if you wish I can do it in the sculpture forum, and if convineant as a tutorial. My method involves in layering colored plaster for molding. I have been thinking on contacting you for a few days after reading your tutorial on latex molding. I had done latex molds myself in the past and wondering whether you added anything into the latex mixture...I liked the way you describe the whole process and congs on the TV program as well on this...

When I first started airbrushing nearly 30 years ago in a plaster figurine and shop window mannequin make-up workshop I had alrealdy got my income from painting with hairy brush. But I worked on sculptures for quite long time. I used to design sculptures, make the first clay models, then prepare molds using plaster at several different stages and airbrush them in my own studio for years.

I would like to send some pictures but unfortunately I have a problem with the computer in my workshop for the last few days. Actually I am in an internet cafe at the moment. I will do it when I get my internet connection back.

Ps: I had sent my first airbrushed piece in the "A show of freehands.." thread, I am giving the link for it. This is an airbrushed plaster duck and I had used some shields while painting it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...hmentid=291619

http://airbrushoptic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by optic : 10-30-2005 at 03:12 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Optic ... I would love to see you do a tutorial in the sculpture forum. Thank you for offering.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
Istanbul-Turkey

Hails from Turkey

Dear Tamara,

Thanks for the response. I am about a have short vacation for a few days, I can probably do it after coming back.

http://airbrushoptic.blogspot.com/