WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 03:38 AM

Red face Ideas for computers in elementary art?

I am trying to add computer art and technology into my elementary K-5 art program. Got any ideas? I can't be the only one trying this? I've got some good stuff but could use ideas especially for lower grades.

Sherry
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: Ideas for computers in elementary art?

I teach K-12 art...computer graphic arts to my high school kids.

Our school has two labs...one in the highschool wing, the other in the elementary wing. I'd like to give my kids exposure...but the elementary lab has so many programs on the systems that those teachers use from a standpoint of RAM and so forth that photoshop as a huge program would slow things down.

Any students that use photoshop in the high school lab need our school tech to set them up an account to use it. So..at best for now I can only demonstrate. We use Photoshop 7...

There are a number of programs though that would be fun...such as simple paint programs. Much depends on what programs you might be interested in.

Years ago...we had a very pixelated program called Aldus Super Paint. It was very basic but easy for children to use and manipulate.

For now...I'll just bring classes in....and demonstrate basic lassoing, dragging and morphing properties on pictures of teachers faces which brings much glee and initial interest. Of course they want to get their hands on it at that point.

We are a smaller district so perhaps in time.

I'll begin with my 5th and 6th grades and get them a temp account for a few weeks.

One thing that is fun and practical, basic...is to take digital pictures of simply plasticene clay figures moving them a little each time a pic is taken...then put together a slide show. YOu can use powerpoint, but it is slow. Adobe...iMovie (if you use Macs)

They could put together their own commercial, kids as actors...

Larry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Tucson

Hails from United States
Re: Ideas for computers in elementary art?

A wonderful book from Teachers and Writers Collaborative is "The Nearness of You: Student and Teachers Writing On-line. The books focus on writing but you can also incorporate art with another one of their publications for students called educating the imagination Vol 1 and 2