WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Berryville Arkansas...Ozark Mountains

Hails from United States
Question Paint Snob

I have a question about acrylic paints...Since the beginning of time I have used acrylic paints in a bottle..Already mixed and thin..you know the walmart kind..hehe. I went and bought the ones in a tube the other day and they have been sitting on my kitchen table just staring at me...What I am asking is this...Are these paints in a tube better than the ones in a bottle, are the colors more intense, will I be able to use them just as well ??? I really don't know if I am just scared to use them or I am saving them like a Christmas Present to open later..Can I sue someone if I paint something crappy with them...Oh just kidding...Tell me of experiences that other artists have had with the paints. I notice that the paints that I use in the bottle seem to dull after I add water or something. It might be the tints that I am using too.What do you think??? Thanks..please forgive my typing I'm not very good at it...Angela McAllister Ozark Mountains
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Paint Snob

The walmart paints are craft paints with very little real pigment in them.
The colors are "pre-mixed" so that crafters don't have to bother mixing to get the colors that they want.
With better quality tube paints, your getting real pigment, less water and less fillers. The colors will be much brighter and more intense.
You may want to practice mixing your tube colors if you've become reliant on pre-mixed colors.
Yes, some craft paints dry dull and chalky looking. They were designed for painting on fabrics, wood and paper.
Experiment with your new tubes of paint! Do some color mixing charts and some quick sketches to just get the feel of them. They can be thinned with water, but don't over-do it.
You can play around on watercolor paper or inexpensive canvas boards, scraps of cardboard etc. Have fun!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Puget Sound Country

Hails from United States

Angela,

I am not surprised that you are having trouble getting into the new paint. When I first started, my new watercolors sat on the table for over a month before I opened them.

Good paint with a heavy pigment load are essential to good painting. Craft paints are thin and opaque. They are designed to make smooth flat strokes and cover anything below. They generally use pigments that fade in time so the paintings are not archival.

There are a number of threads that have tutorials on acrylics. Perhaps someone can post them, I am not familiar enough to suggest any.

Painting is about color mixing. It takes a lot of effort to learn it but results are worth the trouble. As you learn, remember that all painters follow the same path.

Carl

See my website www.dummannart.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 01:16 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Good paint with a heavy pigment load are essential to good painting.
Arrrgh.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Angela, if you like the relative thinness of the craft paint, rather than the thicker acrylic tube paints, you might want to take a look at a new line of tube paints Liquitex is putting out (they're calling them Soft Body paints - they used to sell them in jars and call them Medium Viscosity). The thinness would be closer to what you're used to, but the quality of the paints would be far, far better.

Hoping this is helpful,
Karen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsgirl
What I am asking is this...Are these paints in a tube better than the ones in a bottle...
Simple answer: yes.

Quote:
...are the colors more intense...
Usually yes.

Quote:
...will I be able to use them just as well ???
Well that's up to you. Your personal preferences, painting style and how much time you put into learning how to use the new ones (they'll probably be quite different to what you're used to in more than one way) will determine how well they work for you.

Quote:
I really don't know if I am just scared to use them...
It's perfectly normal to be nervous about using a new type of paint, not to worry.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

I have used the craft but prefer the tube better. As far as being thicker, all I use is water. No mediums to "extend". Find water is the best and makes the consistency easy to control.

Liquitex is a good brand what I have used since I first started. Recently, as I replaced empty tubes, I've been purchasing Winsor Newton... find they are much more viscous and less expensive.

Have fun squeezing and good luck!
-Les

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 12:02 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Have fun squeezing and good luck!

That's the esence of it all really!

Stick to the best you can afford and don't be afraid "Just go for it!"

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**