WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#226   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: In the Classical Studio for October 2005 -Join In!

Hi Kathleen Welcome, it is nice to have a new friend today.

Les you gs has to be one of the most adorable kids, must take after gf

Eileen, Your realism is so, well real. I did say wow out loud. You are seriously talented. It is a lovely painting. You have done such a fine job on her face, the form and turning of shape, shadows, glow in the flesh, all very realistic. Nothing flat or cartoonish about this. My biggest problem. I will learn a lot from you I am sure. I have already really. I am taking note here since I would like to finish one I have started.

Thank goodness those are cyber calories Barb. Yum!

I can't decide on my costume and it's the day of the party.

Happy Halloween!

If I act 14 now will I be a better painter when I grow up?

Sure going to miss you Richard!
  #227   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Morning all
The King reigned supreme, grandma and he had a marvellous time, packed hall and very colorful, plenty of food for kids and grown ups. He made a point of saying how he really enjoyed it.
Been up most of the night, throat is constricting and the nuts and bolts in the ears are adrift. So I am forced to visit the horse doctor. Been trying naturpathic Rose, seems more serious help is needed. I hate Antibiotics.
Thought for the day " what salad dressing?"
Les
  #228   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Wilmington, NC

Hails from United States

I'm a little late on this... but this is how far I am currently... Oh and don't mind little kitty down there.... I was outside painting with my 5 cats and all of a sudden... POOF!! there was one on the canvas! Imagine that! Curious little monsters they are!

#229   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Hi Nickel in progress, welcome to WC and Classical Forum!

You started Dali. Good start. It would be very nice if you could post it also in the Master of the Month Project. I am sure other will like to see it too and follow your progress, including myself.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298405

So, love to hear more about yourself. Get a cup of coffee and go ahead.

Oh Les, so sorry to hear that it has gotten worse. Yeah, me too. Dont like antibiotcs. My best thoughts to you.

Choose only one master - Nature ~ Rembrandt van Rijn
One learns how to paint while failing. ~ Jean-Baptiste Chardin
  #230   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Wilmington, NC

Hails from United States

Dagnabbit! I thought I had made it into that one! Sorry about that!! This site just gets me so backwards sometimes haha
  #231   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast
Minnesota

Hails from United States

WOW! Two new people joining in here! This is great, Hope you all got some cake!

Gallery- Can't wait to see your landscape. If you need any info on mediums and glazing, you have come to the right place!

Nickel in Progress- HUM????? are you any relation to Our guide Nickel? I see you are working on a Dali copy, Very cool! Hope to see more from you too, maybe something classical Anyway, welcome to the Classical Forum!

Hi Donna you had better make up your mind Hun, it is getting late. LOL Why grow up? we like you just the way you are!

Hi Rose You have already changed out of your costume Oh Well, you do make a lovely Rose!

Hi Les- Get well soon!

Hi Barb- wherever you are

Take care all,

Jodi
  #232   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thank you Jodi for the warm welcome. I used to work with oils a while back, but I don't remember being overly cautious about how I disposed of my paper wipes etc. Should I be careful when getting rid of linseed rags or paper towels??? and I wonder if anyone can point me to the right place to learn the best way to handle this in the studio. On the linseed oil can it says to dispose of the waste materials in a steel container that has water in it. This is to reduce the chances of spontaneous combustion!!! YIKES... makes me want to stick to watercolor. Ha ha. Just kidding. Years ago, I wouldn't have cared, it's amazing how more deliberate you get after you become a mom and a responsible adult. hee hee

Should I take this to heart, or is this an overreaction on the part of the linseed oil company? Thanks for your advice.
  #233   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Immortalized

Happy Halloween everyone!

Did you check out the Home Page www.wetcanvas.com today?

Thanks Kerri

Hey Les, thanks for the picture of One Handsome Regal King. He is a happy looking young man! Iíll guard your secrets more closely now that I know you are related to the King!

Rose, hope you and Les both are feeling better! I prowled the streets some but I like to stay home and eat kiddies (opps mean) candy like Jodi!

Jodi, the cake and coffee, well, just marvelous darling, just marvelous!

Hi Kathleen, nice to meet you! Looking forward to next month and what is on your easel!
Please be careful with oil soaked rags, yes they can catch fire.

Donna what did you decide to wear as your costume?
All your little Halloween pals are cute!

Well hi nickel in progress! Welcome, sorry you got lost but it is nice to see your Dali & Cat!
Should I call you Nick Jr? LOL!
Itís nice to have you around!

Hi Barb, hope your Halloween is great!

See you all next month Nickel
  #234   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Les, your grandson looks positively regal. It's such a fun day for the kids, isn't it?

Rose, I'm nosey about things like that too! My palette on this was cad red, cad yellow, ultramarine blue, and titanium white. A very fitting avatar you have now! Beautiful, like you, and it's your namesake too.

Jodi, thanks for your comments, and your mention of the collarbones. They do need toning down. She is a bubbly little girl - in fact my husband once said, "Everybody should have a Katie. She's such a high spirited, fun little girl." I can quote that exactly because I keep a quote book, and put these little gems in there with the date. It's high entertainment to look through that book and read what everyone had to say through the years. I highly recommend keeping one of these. The only problem is, no one ever writes down my quotes - or maybe I just don't say anything worth quoting !

Donna, thanks so much for your comments. I said wow after reading them! I haven't been really happy with the way I paint, because it lacks that "painterly" look - people often tell me my paintings look like photos. I have tried to break out of that realistic style, but find it very difficult to do that. But I'm starting to believe that maybe I should accept this and just enjoy it instead of trying to change it. After all, I am really attracted to realistic paintings, and I get a great deal of pleasure out of painting this way. I just don't feel like a real artist I guess. So thanks for your comments, because they brightened my day! And I liked your "classical" flesh tone study - I think I understand the protocol now!

nickel in progress, I didn't know this was a copy of a Dali, and when I saw your painting I thought, that looks great as is! The monochrome woman looking out on a sea of color. A really neat concept.

Kathleen, please do take that warning on the bottle to heart. The best place to find information on that issue is in the oil forum. Try a search on the word "exothermic" and you will see just how serious this can be. I understand what you mean about having a different take on things once you become a mom.

Nickel, see you next month too, I hope you enjoyed your Halloween. I only know you as a ghost from your avatar, so I am curious to see what you will be next month - dare I say it - a turkey ?

Well I see I went on and on - you are all going to be sorry you let me in here, lol!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #235   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Hi Gallery, Nickel, and Eileen
Halloween is all over here, late and getting cold! Kiddies have school in the morning, at least the ones that I did not eat for supper

Anyway, Gallery- yes, definitely follow ALL safety procedures!!!! They are there for a reason. I am a professional oil painter, and am in my studio at least 6, and usually closer to 10 hours a day working with all kinds of chemicals and heavy metals that are in the materials I use, and I have to admit, I do not do everything that I should, like not eating when I am painting, (lead, cobalt, and a few other things that are not very good to ingest). But if you have children in the house you are much better to play it safe, rather than sorry.

Eileen, we love having you here!!!! the more the merrier! Hey!!!!
Quote:
I just don't feel like a real artist I guess.
I am a classical realist artist!!! You can't be a "more real" artist then that! Look at the hundreds of years that was the only thing that was considered ART!! GEEEESH!!!!

Follow what your heart tells you not what others tell you, and you will much happier!

See Ya All in November, OMG, where has the year gone

Jodi
  #236   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Oil, toxics etc
When I was an apprentice, we would wipe and soak our wooden planes in linseed, could built up a good sheen as well as not allowing the wood to dry out and make the plane glide easier. Loved that smell. Over the years other smells came like resins, two pot paints. Smelt foul but we were healthy and the smell passed. Today after a gradual build up inside it does not take much to make me ill. If I am not quick in recognising the symptons, sore throat, itchy eyes, throat glands hardening, headache etc. i have little sense of smell now( except for a freshly baked cake) so am easily taken in. It will now take me 14 days to recover, most of the time I feel dosy and lifeless. Yes a slow gradual build up, not noticable in healthy people. Lots of info in WC and I included a page of inserts of toxic paints articles from WC contributors in a recent newsletter. Will sent you a scary copy if you wish. Oily rags, do not leave them lying around your studio, use and dump outside when finished. This is serious stuff, strongly advise you read up and decide it cannot happen to you. Not new, Degas had to give up oils and take up pastels.
All mediums have some poison in them waiting for you.
The October Artist Magazine page 76 has an aricle on Air Fillter, worth reading if only to show it's a serious consideration for health.
Been to horse doctor, some atom bomb tablets and nose spray. Severe congestion. Got poisoned a few weeks ago going into a feshly painted room?
Din Din time
Chow for now
Les
Les
  #237   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your help with the toxic issues. I'm going to investigate the links you have provided.
  #238   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Good morning all,

I have started our thread for November. So welcome to our new thread!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...94#post4016994

See you there.

Choose only one master - Nature ~ Rembrandt van Rijn
One learns how to paint while failing. ~ Jean-Baptiste Chardin