WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 AM

scratchboard

Has anyone tried making professional grade scratchboard? I've found out enough to guess that calcium carbonate and either casein sizing or rabbit skin glue are probably among the main ingredients, but I could be way off the mark.
I am interested in making boards that are much larger than those currently available. So far as I know the 2' x 3' panels manufactured by Ampersand are the largest commercial products available. If you know of larger commercially made panels, I'd also love to hear about where I might get some. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: scratchboard

Slice welcome to Mixed Media and WC. I wish I could answer your question but it is one that I am also interested in knowing and let's hope that someone come's up with the answer.

We will be looking forward to seeing your work posted here.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

I've never made my own due to my basic lazy streak. I know there's some recipes out there but I have not kept any....wouldn't scratching something that large take forever? or are you going to do like a collage effect with the board? If I wanted something that large I'd do a regular size picture and then have it re-sized as a print. That's one of the glories of scratchboard, it maintains it's integrity whether you make it smaller or larger. I'd be interested in hearing how you come along. Welcome to the site.
Karen H
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Caledonia, Michigan

Hails from United States

Ampersand will make custom size boards for you, so the 2x3 is not the limit of what you can get. go to ampersandart.com and there is a note at the bottom of the product sizes stating custom sizes are available.

Bob

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil has to be lead.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi Bob,
How are you?
Karen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
Caledonia, Michigan

Hails from United States

Hey Karen,

I am hanging in there. Waiting for apt with orthopedic too see if/when they are going to replace my hip. Been an adventure as of late to say the least!! And you???

Bob

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil has to be lead.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

Like you, things are up in the air. The owner of my great little beach house is out of remission for leukemia. I'm really worried that I might have to be moving. Tonight is my first reception for an art show...thank goodness someone wrote about one in the Art Business column.
TC
Karen
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2005, 12:41 PM
A Local Legend
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

I got this “recipe” from a fellow artist, John Hagan, who had been making his own boards since 1975. He wanted to create pieces that were sometimes as large as five feet square and this was the only way he could accomplish that.

PVA...White craft glue.

Whiting... Whiting is a white powder used as a filler in woodworking. It is mined like chalk and ground to a fine white powder, or you could probably use plaster instead. (You can differ from the original recipe and use Porcelain or Kaolin Clay).

White Paint...Water based paint.

Mix 2 parts PVA, 2 parts Whiting, and 1 part White Paint. Paint thicklywith a broad brush on a piece of masonite (keep board flat). Make 4 to 6 coats letting it dry between coats. The glue prevents the penetration of the inks; the whiting gives body; and the paint makes it white. If you experiment you will find the combination that suits you. Sand it smooth and add inks or any medium you choose to work with.

Diana Lee