WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Lansing, MI

Hails from United States
Rigidizer = Mold Hardener????

My husband is building me a kiln. We need some rigidizer for the ceramic fiber blanket he will be using on the door. The only size I've been able to find on the internet searches is in 1-gallon containers, which is a LOT! Way more than we'd ever use.

I went down to Delphi yesterday to see if they had something smaller. The lady there tells me it's not called rigidizer anymore and shows me this stuff called "Hotline Mild Hardener". The catalog description says "Used to harden fiber mild constructions. Easy to apply and sand to a smooth finish."

I didn't get a real "warm, fuzzy" feeling from the lady helping me out, so I'm not sure this is really what I want.

Anyone know?????

(And if you have any left-overs lying around in your basement going to waste, I'll take it off your hands..!!)

Thanks,

Barbara

Some would dispute that cats were ever domesticated but, in fact, have learned how to squeeze free food, shelter, and affection out of a gullible race of upright apes who don't know when they're being taken for a ride.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
Mike Crowley ,Paradise (South Beach,OR)

Hails from United States
Re: Rigidizer = Mold Hardener????

HUmmm well its still called rigidizer.rigidizer is a clear spray on or brush on, Try this http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/...Category_Code=
what she wants to sell you is a cement like stuff,it will work but not very fun to put on(BUT) .If you are using the socalled SAFE ceramic fiber,some dont like to have rigidizer on them.

Mike
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Lansing, MI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassfreek
.If you are using the socalled SAFE ceramic fiber,some dont like to have rigidizer on them.

Thanks for the link Mike. A pint should work out a LOT better than a gallon.

And I don't think this fiber blanket is "safe". There were all kinds of warnings on the product description about using a respirator when working with it. So I think the rigidizer is needed.

Thanks,

Barbara

Some would dispute that cats were ever domesticated but, in fact, have learned how to squeeze free food, shelter, and affection out of a gullible race of upright apes who don't know when they're being taken for a ride.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

You can buy ceramic fiber in a castable mix form. I believe you mix a powder and a liquid together then you can pour the mix into a mold in the shape you want.

This might work better for what you want. I know many of the kilns insides are built like this.

But now if your kiln is only going to use fiber on the door then you might just want to use fiberboard instead of a fiber blanket. Fiberboard would not brake down like fiber blanket.

You can buy almost any kind of ceramic fiber you want at this website.

http://www.thermalceramics.com/home.html

Robert

Robert