WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Essex, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Question Has anyone heard of World Art Media in New York

Hi I have had a few emails from a PR company called World Art Media in New York. They say they are interested in my art and have made a proposal to me to exhibit some of my work http://www.worldartmedia.com..

I am interested to know if anyone has used them or heard of them. The proposal seems great, I haven't had any PR before and live in the UK so cannot even visit them. The proposal is to show some of my work at The Miami Art Basel is an international art festival, this is done by a digital projector, and my website info shown as well. Apparently this is sponsored by NY Arts Magazine, the price I was quoted is $500 which is discounted apparently.

I would love to hear some of your views, especially if you live in New York or the US and know of the magazine, PR company or even the festival.

Thanks Michelle
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Reno, Nevada

Hails from United States
Re: Has anyone heard of World Art Media in New York

I would do a search on this company on Google before you sign anything. I think this is a vanity gallery/service. See what they've done for other artists before you spend any money. In fact, if you want to ask them for references that would not be inappropriate.

Be wary.

-Naomi
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Reno, Nevada

Hails from United States

Testing
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Essex, UK

I had looked at the site, it looked good.

I will ask for references though that seems a very good idea. I am very wary, I haven't even replied to the last email, I hoped that out of everyone on this forum someone would have heard of them, if they are so great and so big...

Naomi (what does testing mean?)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Reno, Nevada

Hails from United States

Sorry- I was testing my new signature!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:33 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

If it does turn out to be a vanity gallery, check this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284260
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Essex, UK

Hi, I don't know if this is a 'vanity gallery' they call themselves a pr, because they do so many different events, for example if I was having an exhibition myself promote it. Excuse the copying and pasteing effort!!!

This is what the second email says after I responded for more info:

Thank you for a prompt response. Let me assure you, that we do not
limit our services to any particular area in the world. Please do not
feel discouraged about your location. I will be able to help you as much as I can. I understand that you have many concerns, but do not feel hesitant to learn a little more about WAM and how we operate.
We are currently working with a number of international art publications distributed throughout the US, Europe and Asia. We also represent over 80 artists worldwide. In addition to individual clients, we do publicity for many galleries, art fairs, dealers, curators and universities. To learn more about our impressive roster of clients,
please go to www.worldartmedia.com.

Our representation is offered only to those artists whose work qualifies. If accepted, WAM requires a fee for annual representation and promotion. Your work and website has been passed through our managers, and we are very interested to help you promote your works--especially at art fairs and international art events.
Can you tell me some more about your goals and plans for the near
future? Do you have any exhibits coming up? And, if feasible, pleasesend me some examples of your most recent works. We can offer you a
range of ideas and proposals based on your immediate needs and goals.
I look forward to hearing from you and I hope that we'll be able towork together. Please try to keep an optimistic mind about the sales of your works. I do know that it is a tough part of ann artist's career. Keep up the great work.

This is the last one:
I will get straight to your questions.
The projector will display hi resolution images. You do not have tosend in your original pieces, because we can work straight from digital submissions.
We will not require any fee for the sales that you make. I am confident
that your works will succeed in keeping the audience interested. Your
website will be shown along with your images. so, if any
representative is interested to contact you, they will have all the
information they need.

But of course, if I am contacted by specific individuals who want to speak with you, I would relay their message and contact information directly to you.
The price for this display is $750.
But, because you have continued toexpress strains on your budget, I will contact the directors at NY Arts to work more closely with me. I can get you this same feature for $500. This is more than a 30% discount from the retail value.I am more than supportive of your works, and am absolutely positivethat this is a wonderful opportunity for you. I am sure that this discounted price will stand, and that is my offer.

There are several ways for you to break down your payment. If you are
interested, please let me know. I will see what I can work out best for you.

Any Ideas??
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

I've never heard of them.

From their website, and from the Art Basel website, it appears both focus on art in the modern and contemporary styles. Do you think you fit in there?

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Reno, Nevada

Hails from United States

I received an email from them about 8 months ago. I looked them up- saw them on some "snopes" type website and decided not to even pursue the idea.

Here are the questions I'd be asking myself if I were you:

What is the point and purpose of showing the work on a slide projector? Will there be any galleries at this projector show? Curators? Buyers? Who will be viewing?

I would contact Art Basel and see what their relationship is with this company.

Does your contract end with this slide show? Will they be putting ads of your work in their magazine? What else will they do?

It just seems really vague. PR contracts are probably pretty specific- so I'd check it out.

Also, from viewing your work, I think you should be looking at different types of galleries than what this company goes for.

Just my .02.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Essex, UK

Thanks, you are probably right about my work not being right for them. My work is realism not modern or contempary!

I suppose I was just hoping it would be something good, but at least I checked it out first before handing over any money.

Thanks for all your help,
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Reno, Nevada

Hails from United States

If you have $500 to work with, why not put that money into a booth fee at a pet or art fair or get some cards (greeting or post) made? You'll get a much better return on your money than showing work at Art Basel. Although, I may well be wrong. It's up to you!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Essex, UK

I have done some craft fairs, and have booked another for December. I have some ads coming out, I hate the promoting part of it. I would love to find a publisher to take me on, or find a gallery, everywhere I contact I just get rejections!

The only income I get is through commissions, noone seems to buy at the fairs, but I don't think I have done great ones, I think the one I have booked in December will be better.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Hails from Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleblock
I have done some craft fairs, and have booked another for December. I have some ads coming out, I hate the promoting part of it. I would love to find a publisher to take me on, or find a gallery, everywhere I contact I just get rejections!

That's the nature of arts & entertainment industries, and it doesn't stop once you become successful or even famous. The successful and famous still receive rejections (although not as high a percentage, obviously, at least until they become "where are they now" candidates). You have to become acclimated to rejections and not care about them to try to "make it" in the arts & entertainment industries (in fact, this is even true for most job searches, but multiply that by a few thousand for the arts & entertainment industries).

The fact that most people trying to make it in the arts & entertainment industries become bothered/disturbed about rejections is the primary factor that makes it so easy to prey on them in various schemes where artists and entertainers are promised that they're finally going to be respected and recognized . . . if only they'll pay such and such fee to the company offering the avenue to respect and recognition. In reality, those companies are just trying to make a few bucks off of your hopes and ambitions. They don't care about you or your work. They care about your $500. It's not that they won't offer the service they're promising. It's that the service will be ineffective. They have no motivation to promote your work or help it be respected and recognized--they've made their money. They get no more if you sell something. This is why in general, it's a bad idea to pay anyone in advance to look at or handle your work (it's perfectly acceptable to offer galleries, agents, representatives, etc. a percentage on work sold, however). Although controversial, I even include things like art contests in the list of scams for making money off of hopeful artists.

Your correspondence with World Art Media should have triggered a number of red flags. For one, they sent you an e-mail that is obviously a form letter. You stated that the first e-mail quoted was their second e-mail to you. In it, they ask to see samples of your latest work--they're not even familiar with your work, yet they want to represent you? Even worse, they turn around after this and say "I am more than supportive of your works". This, despite the fact that they don't even know what your recent work looks like.

More than likely, all they know about you is that you're an artist with a website. They send out mass-mailings to such people hoping to find someone who'll pay them $750 ($500 if they receive an objection; probably $375 if they receive another) to mindlessly project some digital images in the corner of a show, where no one will likely pay attention to them. They're preying on the fact that artists mostly receive rejections and want some glimmer of hope. They get as many artists as they can to sign up for this, put the images in a rotation on the projector, and they end up making at least a few thousand dollars (after expenses) for setting up a projector in Miami--they wouldn't even have to (and more than likely do not) hang around.

Instead, you have to grin and bear the stuff you don't like--rejections, marketing, etc. Most jobs have aspects that we'd rather be rid of. For artists, these are the common aspects that are disliked. Try submitting stuff often enough that you become surprised when you don't receive at least four to six rejections in a day. If you're doing it that regularly, you get used to it, and it means that you're submitting things enough that sooner or later you're going to get a "bite".

Your work is good enough. You have to spend some time thinking about who you're marketing it to. The first two pictures currently on your site are the kinds of things you should be promoting at art fairs/arts & crafts shows, etc. Take just pet pictures and make a big sign that you do commissions. You'll definitely get some business--that's one of the more popular subjects and lots of people want paintings of their pets, just make sure you do not overcharge.

Your landscape stuff is definitely of a caliber for a retail environment. Don't just try normal galleries. As long as the UK market isn't completely different than the US, you might have better luck at first with places like frame shops, gift shops, etc. If you don't mind focusing on "local" subjects, do work like that specific to different areas of the UK and present them to shops that cater to tourists in those areas. The same is true of your "predators in the wild" works.

Just don't give up or fall prey to people trying to bilk money from you. Remember that most rejections are given (or implied if you just do not hear anything) because people often do not even look at your work. They get too many submissions, and often they're too busy (or lazy) to look at all of them. I've been on the receiving end, and about 80% of the queries we received weren't looked at very well, if at all. Most likely you'll either be ignored or receive a form letter/response. Also make sure you're not just submitting by e-mail. E-mails tend to have a much higher ignore and discard rate.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:59 AM

I believe I've heard of them, I think they are run by the same people as the NYArts Magazine, www.nyartsmagazine.com. After a quick search I found http://www.atelier-rc.com/Atelier.RC/Art_Alarm.html which is a page attacking different organisations that prey on young and undiscovered artists. Generally trying to take there money while promising exhibitions, magazine coverage and publicity. Scroll down any you will find a reference to the NYArts and World Media. It looks like these are best avoided!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Essex, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Ado
I believe I've heard of them, I think they are run by the same people as the NYArts Magazine, www.nyartsmagazine.com. After a quick search I found http://www.atelier-rc.com/Atelier.RC/Art_Alarm.html which is a page attacking different organisations that prey on young and undiscovered artists. Generally trying to take there money while promising exhibitions, magazine coverage and publicity. Scroll down any you will find a reference to the NYArts and World Media. It looks like these are best avoided!

Thanks very much. I hadn't replied to the last email, and it looks like they have forgotten me already, so they couldn't have 'loved' my work that much! Must have moved onto the next undiscovered...