WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States
Vpon Sept 18th Sunday Afternoon Paintout

Host: Piper
Time: 12 noon to 3pm Pacific time
Day: Sunday September 18

Come join in for another Sunday Afternoon Paintout. Sunday 12 noon to 3pm, Pacific time. I am doing early for the westcoasters so we can have a few on the east coast and beyond join us. Check for your time in the world clock below.
Piper

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html

If you have not joined our fun group click on the Vpon below, all you need is Yahoo messenger, everyone is welcomed to join, you do not need a camera.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Vpon Sept 18th Sunday Afternoon Paintout

Thanks so much for setting something up, Piper. Depending how early I get back on sunay, I may even be able to pop in and chat while I organize the new pastel box
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

Well right now I'm sure planning to be there!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 04:42 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

I will try to be there if I can! If nothing else, I want to SEE this new pastel box!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

Well, I was there. I decided to be brave and allow my picture to be seen from start to finish, so I logged onto Yahoo Messenger and started up my webcam before I'd even taped a piece of paper to my board, and then did the picture. But somehow I seemed to have gotten "lost". I thought I was in the chat room, but no one was saying anything except me, and no one was looking at my webcam. Finally Yahoo Messenger crashed on me, and when it came back suddenly folks were there chatting, and looking at my cam! But by then I'd actually finished the picture so they didn't get to see the progress.

But Sooz was there, and Piper, and Rose. Rose had her webcam up too but the picture looked sort of like an embossed image so I could not see what she was actually doing, so I hope she posts it here!

But it was fun, and now I have my cam all set up, and got my microphone all set up. Now I just have to wait for the RAM I ordered for my PC, since I only have 256M of RAM and my PC is groaning under the weight of all these intensive applications I'm trying to run at once!

Anyway, here is my pic from the paint-out. I choose a picture of a bunch of onions from this week's WDE pix.
Attached Images

Last edited by scall0way : 09-18-2005 at 06:45 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

I am a little slow posting the results of the paintout today. Rose, Christie, Patsy, Sooz and finally Debbie (sorry about all the confusion) all joined me for a relaxing Sunday afternoon painting session.
Debbie has already posted her results and it looks so good.

I did not paint today, I am between paintings and could not decide what to start on.

Rose even made bread for everyone, and shared it will with us, if only by webcam. It is a good thing we could only see it, the smell through cyber space would have done us in.

If you could not join us today, watch for the next great Paintout and join in for some great chats and a great painting session
Piper
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
North West Arkansas

Hails from United States

Debbie: Great job on the onions. I watched a lot of this from the webcam and was amazed at how fast you brought this together.

I didn't paint, just resting up from painting the house.

John
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I got back too late to join you all...but I have a great new pastel box now I'll post some photos in a bit. I am just going to go sand and stain it now so i might be able to load it up this week!

Sounds like you all had fun!! I'll try to schedule something for this week.

Edited to add:

Okay - made it just in time before I couldn't edit again. Here are the photos of my unfinished pastel box. I still need to add several things - more foam, a handle, d-rings fr a strap etc. It is 18 X 24 approx and the wood for the box frame is Fir (masonite for the top and bottom). The foam is showing it's age, but it will soon be covered with pastel dust anyway Oh - and 5 seconds ago, I finished staining it a lovely pecan colour.

Last edited by khourianya : 09-18-2005 at 10:21 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

Oh, droooool! Looks LOVELY....I want one! How much would your dad charge for one???? He's done such a beautiful job with it!!! Drooooooooooool!

How deep are the sections??? Can you put in your "fat" sticks??? Does the top have foam on the underside of it too??

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2005, 11:14 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

lol...I am slowly going to work him into starting production on these. I am warming him up to make a pastel pochade with me to use up the left over wood from this project (Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away here and we are going up there again at that time). I figure I have enough left over to make a 12 X 12 box. I have no clue what he would charge, or if he would even want to make another one, but I'll let you know if he says he wants to make more to sell! I figure we have to really work on the design of it, so it is MUCH different from the Pastel Briefcase. Right now it is similar, but with a few nicer additions.

Oh - for the details. The sections are about an inch and a bit deep so plenty of room for the thicker sticks. I haven't tried it yet (took out the inside sections to stain the outer box), but I almost wonder if it won't fit my Sennelier jumbo. There will be foam on the underside of the lid too, I just haven't glued it on yet. Also, you can't really tell from the photo, but there is a little hole drilled in the corner of the lid so i can pull it up with my finger. The top of the box will double as an 18 X 24 drawing board too.

I am contemplating adding a solid bottom on it too - hinged and clasped - so I can use it to store paper when I go to workshops too. It would make for a fairly self-contained unit.

This box is a bit large to take out for plein air, but I am working on a couple of pochades for that. I picked up a little unfinished cigar box at michaels and am playing with a design that I can keep in the car at all times. If it turns out, I will show it off shortly.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndill01
I watched a lot of this from the webcam and was amazed at how fast you brought this together.

LOL, that's true that John did start viewing my webcam from pretty early in the procedure, before I'd even put down any pastel on the paper I believe! So I guess he got to see the whole process, assuming he was watching.