WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Immortalized
near Frankfurt in Germany

Hails from Germany
Looking at you - WIP

This is what I am working on at the moment. Inspired by Armin's rendering of the eyes of his fathers in his most recent work. I took a picture of Regina's eye (testing my new cameras at the same time) and try to be as realistic as I can.

I am not striving for "likeness" in this attempt only technique and "realism" so no reference picture.

The drawing is roughly letter size (A4) and done with a variety of pensils (7B - 6H), a lot of patience and more than not a lot of frustration. This will be an extremely slow WIP since I am learning new things with each stroke of the pencil. No blending, just pencil work.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

Last edited by Reinhard1 : 09-12-2005 at 08:11 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England
Re: Looking at you - WIP

WOW Reinhard!!! This is AMAZING!!!!!!! So glad you showed us! Which camera have you got? Did you take the photo in daylight, inside or out?
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Anita thanks for the comment. It is a Canon Rebel XT (EOS 350D here in Europe), 8 MP and the photo was taken in daylight inside. The 8 MP really show. It is a real pleasure to enlarge the picture and still see no "pixelating".

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

I am green with envy Reinhard! I have the Canon Digital Rebel but it doesn't have the monochrome facility of the XT. Even with the 6.4 megapixels you can get pretty big before it pixellates.
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

The detail is exquisite and the reality is there. Excellent work!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Stunning work RR Bro are using the circular strokes and have you blended them?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Immortalized
Michigan

Hails from United States

Reinhard, this is wonderful...and no blending at all? you'll be giving Armin a run for his money soon if you keep this up!

~Billie Crain~
ArtByCrain Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 02:11 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

This certainly looks great Reinhard -- I am following with great interest.

Val.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Anita, I know what you feel. But having had the possibility to select I chose the Canon over the Nikon D70s because of it's 8 MP vs 6.2. Additionally all the tests I read rated the Canon as the best camera at the moment so it was rather easy. On top of that. I have had the experience in the past that more often than not people liked how they looked on snapshots in groups in enlargening these images resulted too often in loss of detail which I need to draw. Whether my drawings will improve remains to be seen, at least I don't have the excuse any longer that I couldn't do it because I couldn't see those all important details. LOL
Jeanette, thanks so much. It is a practice piece in which I wanted to really go into details. Could be that I loose myself in them but at least it's a very good learning experience. Each pencil stroke a new discovery. I feel a little bit like Columbus in this drawing.
sults sis, this is exclusively circles and absolutely no blending whatsoever. I am learning that blending will eliminate the 3d structure of the skin, at least when I do it.
Billie, as I said to sults, no blending. Armin is my beacon, I wil NEVER reach him but there is always something in his work that I might be able to try and reap some benefit for me.
Val, I try. As I said, this is an experiment for me and it will be interesting to see how far I might be able to take it (or it will take me).

Cheers , Reinhard
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Now, I am genetically bred for paranoia, Rein so let me just say that --IT'S STARING AT ME!!!"

Seriously, so far so good--this is a good eye for study--students should post it as a reference--you can clearly see the role of geometrich shapes--especially in the eyeball itself. I think you have a winner here my friend--and your artistic progress is just stunning!! Keep it up!

HEY, I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY SQUIRREL!!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Prior Lake Minnesota

Hails from United States

Das ist gut - I think that is the way ya say it. I remeber that if it was really good, which this is, it was zer gut. Anyway I am watching with interest because I get carried away with eyes also. Have them all over my drawing pads, trying to make them as realistic as I can.
Question: Sults mentioned drawing in circles, I have noticed this before in some threads could you give a brief description of what you all are refering to when you talk about drawing in circles? Or is there some place in WC they talk about it?

Anyway - very nice work!
John
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

JayD, thanks a lot for the comment and compliment. Looking at it right now after having read your remark I agree 100% with you about the geometric shapes, I have to confess that I did not look at the eye with this in mind when I started. I was, and I still am, concentrating very closely on individual shadows and their relationship to each other. I am learning that skin itself has a definite 3d structure and I am trying to capture that. As for the squirrel, I think I have to ask for a little bit of patience, I am, sorry, as yet not in a real squirrel mood - still too fascinated with the human face in graphite.
John, danke and thanks for the comments. The circling technique, as I understand it and as I am learning to apply in my recent drawings, is nothing but drawing instead of lines with very small overlapping circles until a tonal value is achieved. I find that it gives me an extraordinary ability to control the value I want. I am by no means an expert, this description goes to Armin (Eclipse here in WetCanvas), but a self teaching amateur. Another advantage of circulism, I find, is the fact that I can't get a straight line which in nature does not exist anyway so I can get a less artificial look. And lastly, I don't need to blend since I can get the tonal values and the transitions I want simply by applying pressure (more or less) which comes in handy when doing structured skin. My learning experience has been to draw very tiny cirlcles and to take time to draw them. I found out that I always wanted to draw the circles too fast and in consequence, lost control. It might take longer but I find it worthwhile to invest that time.

Cheers , Reinhard
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Very good start Reinhard and I am green with envy about your camera. Felicidades!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Mary, gracias on both accounts. I loved my G3 but it was sooooooo slow that I lost too many snapshots, especially in darker environments, that I had to invest anew. I am now just looking forward to try my new baby with shots all over the place from flora to fauna to portraits. I still need good pictures from my children so I can continue to bother you with my family" series and one day draw them all in one BIG drawing (still long time away) but a boy can dream, can't I????

Cheers , Reinhard
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

About 5 more hours into it.

Cheers , Reinhard